Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OpSpec Practical Fundamentals course recommendations?

OpSpec Practical Fundamentals course recommendations?

I'm thinking about signing up for this course. Has anyone here taken the course? If so, would you give it a positive rating?

http://opspectraining.com/firearms-t...-fundamentals/

Thanks,
    Kent

I took the class in Birmingham, AL when Bruce Gray and Jerry Jones were both teaching it. I found the class very useful and the two are obviously SME's in the field. Their morning lecture is really interesting. It's a 50,000 foot view of how to shoot well and really enjoyable if you've shot a lot. I wondered what the guys, for whom this was their first class, thought of the classroom time.

I took the class in October of 2011 also with Bruce Gray and Jerry Jones. I thought it was a really good class. I wrote an AAR on sigforum but it looks like it's been pruned.
    If not me, then who?

I've taken their PF class twice. It is a primarily a shooting class and not a self-defense-with-a-gun class (Tom Givens, Ayoob, etc.), so be aware of that. I thought it was an outstanding class and can't recommend it highly enough. Be sure to check out the course reviews and other misc. blog postings by Bruce and Jerry (at grayguns.com and Opspectraining.com) to give you an idea of their training philosophy and what the class is about.

Interesting. I may sign up for the Denver class myself.
    The answer, it seems to me, is wrath. The mind cannot foresee its own advance. --FA Hayek Specialization is for insects.

I had the privilege of attending this course in early 2012. As others have said, this is a trigger-control class more than a gun-handling/tactics class, but I found it very useful anyway. I will say that, attending the course with our brand new HK45CTs (mine had about a 14# DA trigger pull) really gave me a workout...

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    this is a trigger-control class more than a gun-handling/tactics class
    That is a succinct way of putting it and I think they would accept that. This class focuses on one specific aspect of shooting: Trigger control. Everything else that they teach in class (draw, press out, SOTM, etc) are just to get you to the meat of this particular course: Trigger control.

If you are looking for a general gun handling class you could certainly do worse than Practical Fundamentals, but probably also do better.

ETA: To get the most out of this class, I would recommend having already established a strong base in safety, draw, press-out, reloading, and other aspects of gun handling. That is not required, but would be beneficial.
    Last edited by David S.; 03-31-2014 at 05:35 PM.

I took the course in 2011 in Hoover, AL. Bruce Gray, Jerry Jones and Randy Lee were the instructors. All three are accomplished shooters and, more importantly, can teach. There was a pretty good mix of experienced and inexperienced students in the class.

The class focuses on the fundamentals of hitting a target with a pistol. As said above, it's not a class on tactics. It covers basic gun handling but the focus is trigger control as the single most important factor on getting hits, and I agree with that concept.

If you take the class, you will leave with the building blocks to make you a better shooter. I have a fair amount of experience shooting and teaching shooters. I took away several drills and techniques for my personal use.

Ken

I took this class two weeks ago in Hoover, Alabama. I've been meaning to getting around to doing an AAR and have made some notes but haven't gotten around to writing the thing.

I am by no means bragging, but I've taken a lot of classes over the past five years and have come to realize that (in a simplistic way) that most of the tactical speed shooting is the ability to perform the fundamentals at speed. At the Talon Tactical Dark Gunfighter class in Gadsden Alabama, I realized that I was pushing so hard that I was neglecting the fundamentals and was noticing a decrease in performance. I was losing time in the draw and press out and had other issues that I needed to work on. I was past the point of pushing past my limits and seeing increase of performance. I was instead pushing past my limits and failing the fundamentals (I hope that made since).

To put it simply, I needed a good tune up.

This class was what the doctor ordered. Jerry was lead and Kyle from Operations Specifics was his number two.

For me this class taught me a better press out and a much cleaner draw. Also the instruction of Jerry to focus the grip on a polymer pistol at the front and rear straps (I'm not doing the concept justice compared to how Jerry explained it) helped to tightened my grip and better stabilize the weapon.

Like others have said this was a master level course on trigger control. On day one I kinda struggled with the hard trigger preparation that they were teaching (years ahead of the trigger reset that we are teaching LEOs). At the end of the day a serious of Bill Drills brought it together for me.

Also, this class was conducted a lot at the 5 and 7 yard line, but on day two we pressed out with Bill Drills to the 15, 25 and 50 yard lines. I was very surprised to fine that even at distance, my splits where much quicker and I was very pleased not only with my accuracy but all the shooters in the class.

Again not bragging, it was the benefit of the class, but I have never shot a 6 shot group from the 50 yard line that was mostly in the A-Zone of a IPSC Target within a 5 inch group. Others might do it every day, but until this class that wasn't me.

Just to sum it up, it is a Masters in Trigger Manipulation, but I picked up soooo much more.

I intend to take this class again, it was that beneficial for me.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask (offline if you prefer). I think this is one of my first posts here (it might be my first), if you have any questions about my training experiences and past classes to put things in perspective, just ask, I'm an open book.

Hope this helps.

Chuck Mc

I took this class two weeks ago in Hoover, Alabama. I've been meaning to getting around to doing an AAR and have made some notes but haven't gotten around to writing the thing.

I am by no means bragging, but I've taken a lot of classes over the past five years and have come to realize that (in a simplistic way) that most of the tactical speed shooting is the ability to perform the fundamentals at speed. At the Talon Tactical Dark Gunfighter class in Gadsden Alabama, I realized that I was pushing so hard that I was neglecting the fundamentals and was noticing a decrease in performance. I was losing time in the draw and press out and had other issues that I needed to work on. I was past the point of pushing past my limits and seeing increase of performance. I was instead pushing past my limits and failing the fundamentals (I hope that made since).

To put it simply, I needed a good tune up.

This class was what the doctor ordered. Jerry was lead and Kyle from Operations Specifics was his number two.

For me this class taught me a better press out and a much cleaner draw. Also the instruction of Jerry to focus the grip on a polymer pistol at the front and rear straps (I'm not doing the concept justice compared to how Jerry explained it) helped to tightened my grip and better stabilize the weapon.

Like others have said this was a master level course on trigger control. On day one I kinda struggled with the hard trigger preparation that they were teaching (years ahead of the trigger reset that we are teaching LEOs). At the end of the day a serious of Bill Drills brought it together for me.

Also, this class was conducted a lot at the 5 and 7 yard line, but on day two we pressed out with Bill Drills to the 15, 25 and 50 yard lines. I was very surprised to find that even at distance, my splits where much quicker and I was very pleased not only with my accuracy but all the shooters in the class.

Again not bragging, it was the benefit of the class, but I have never shot a 6 shot group from the 50 yard line that was mostly in the A-Zone of a IPSC Target within a 5 inch group. Others might do it every day, but until this class that wasn't me.

Just to sum it up, it is a Masters in Trigger Manipulation, but I picked up soooo much more.

I intend to take this class again, it was that beneficial for me.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask (offline if you prefer). I think this is one of my first posts here (it might be my first), if you have any questions about my training experiences and past classes to put things in perspective, just ask, I'm an open book.

Hope this helps.

Chuck Mc

User Tag List