Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Improved 9mm - the 9mm Automatic

Site Supporter
    I'm not sure one should lump bottleneck rifle and pistol cartridges together for this discussion. The only other bottleneck pistol rounds that I'm familiar with is 7.62 Tokarev, and I've never reloaded it.

The problem is the only thing preventing the bullet from going deeper in the case is the neck tension. If it's wrong, it won't take much effort to seat the bullet deeper which can cause pressure spikes. If the neck thickness varies from case to case, it's even harder to get it set right because you could be setup correctly for 99% of the cases ... but then you get one with insufficient tension and you've got a problem.

With a tapered wall 9mm, you have the wall taper providing resistance from setback, not just neck tension/crimp.

Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post
    I'm not sure one should lump bottleneck rifle and pistol cartridges together for this discussion. The only other bottleneck pistol rounds that I'm familiar with is 7.62 Tokarev, and I've never reloaded it.

The problem is the only thing preventing the bullet from going deeper in the case is the neck tension. If it's wrong, it won't take much effort to seat the bullet deeper which can cause pressure spikes. If the neck thickness varies from case to case, it's even harder to get it set right because you could be setup correctly for 99% of the cases ... but then you get one with insufficient tension and you've got a problem.

With a tapered wall 9mm, you have the wall taper providing resistance from setback, not just neck tension/crimp.
    I haven't reloaded any bottle neck pistol rounds. Isnt there a loading for the Broomhandle? I forget the caliber 30 something.

Thank for making me aware of the short comings of the 357sig

The .357Sig feeding thing may be another case of more theoretical that reality based. I note a number of folks, including Paul Howe, reporting issues with .357Sig reliability.

Anyway, I have never had a Glock or S&W 3rd gen fail to feed. Ever. My 5906 would feed empty cases even.

The tapered case obviously aids extraction.

Not sure a cartridge with an over 100 year successful history needs to be "improved" much.

User Tag List