Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Improved 9mm - the 9mm Automatic

Improved 9mm - the 9mm Automatic

Interesting article. Addressed some of issues mentioned with feed angles and Sig P239's:

http://www.shootingtimes.com/2014/03...ly+Newsletters

Comments are fairly harsh. Interesting counterpoints concerning extraction

So.....the purpose of the article is to essentially state that the 9mm isn't reliable enough. Okay.......it is just the most successful handgun cartridge in world history and will likely be so until another form of technology comes into play. If the problems that the author stated translated into real world problems, then at the very least the Russians and Chinese would have adopted a non-NATO handgun caliber in it's place. At this point, they like the cartridge a lot since it will also work well in steel cased format.

Just to play along.....as far as improving on the 9mm for civilian use, I think the author is going in the wrong direction. Reducing the case taper is fine for the US market(no steel case, nickel coated cases), but reducing the case capacity by removing the taper isn't a great idea. If anything, a better idea would probably be to reduce the bullet ogive to something similar to a .357 bullet profile, and increase the COAL to a point somewhere between the 9mm and the .45acp. Basically what the Russians did with the 9x21mm....only with a .357 bullet profile.

To be honest, I've never heard of this nosedive problem with 9mm. The only noticeable nosedive I've ever experienced was with .45 ACP in 1911 magazines, and also a Ruger P97, which used 1911 followers in the mags. In the Ruger, it was found out by others, that if you changed the followers to Wilson ones, the nosedive went away.

The author of the article states that he used a 1911 with .38 Super mags. Not sure how that translates into a problem with proper magazine/follwer design in non-1911 guns. I would imagine that using a Wilson type follower in a 9mm 1911 with ramped barrel, would help alleviate the nosedive issue, but then again I could be wrong.

In any event, I've not had any nosedive issues with any 9mm pistol I've ever owned.

FWIW, I think the issue is worse with single stack 9mm's. My wife's Kahr loves six round magazines but nose dives on the first round out of a 7 round magazine. The same magazines loaded with 6 rounds run fine.

I read that article the other day. I spent a considerable amount of time rolling my eyes. If you're using a 9mm 1911 with .38 Super mags as the arbiter of 9mm reliability I feel like you're doing it wrong. The whole article felt like an answer in search of a question.

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    I read that article the other day. I spent a considerable amount of time rolling my eyes. If you're using a 9mm 1911 with .38 Super mags as the arbiter of 9mm reliability I feel like you're doing it wrong. The whole article felt like an answer in search of a question.
    That was sort of my thought as well.

I didn't even read it.

I've had 4 - 9mm service pistols all ran fine. Well #4 is still new and has just under 1000rds fired

I do think the bottleneck loads like the 357sig may feed better.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    357sig may feed better.
    But it comes with it's own set of issues, like neck tension issues causing setback.

Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post
    But it comes with it's own set of issues, like neck tension issues causing setback.
    I don't have much experience with the 357sig.

Do all bottlenecks rounds have this problem? Or is it just with the 357sig load itself?

User Tag List