Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Draw Strings on jackets and firearms

Draw Strings on jackets and firearms

While teaching a class today, a student had a rain jacket with a side draw string. Of course, the string managed to get wrapped in the trigger guard area of a Glock 34. Luckily it was observed and stopped. Needless to say, despite the rain, sleet, and snow - anybody with draw strings was told to cut the strings or remove the jacket. I let the jacket slip buy, but after today, it won't happen again!

Just sharing for community consumption. I was well aware of the hazard, but the jacket still slipped through the cracks.

Ugh! Lucky day. Glad disaster was averted.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

I've had trouble with them, they are a definate hazard. Some can be tied with a simple knot to adjust them and the extra cut off, or removed as you said. The sliding adjusters are bad news. One parka type coat I tried years ago had an entire skirt type baffle around the waist, it was ridicules. I sent it back and told them why.

Quote Originally Posted by gtmtnbiker98 View Post
    While teaching a class today, a student had a rain jacket with a side draw string. Of course, the string managed to get wrapped in the trigger guard area of a Glock 34. Luckily it was observed and stopped. Needless to say, despite the rain, sleet, and snow - anybody with draw strings was told to cut the strings or remove the jacket. I let the jacket slip buy, but after today, it won't happen again!

Just sharing for community consumption. I was well aware of the hazard, but the jacket still slipped through the cracks.

Saw it happen in Todd's class and he stopped it before the gun was holstered completely.

After that police chief recently shot himself (for the second time, mind) with his Glock en route to the holster with a case of "drawstringus interruptus" and the video made the rounds, I would hope to God that every pistol owner alive summarily cut that kitten off of their jackets.

Needless to say, despite the rain, sleet, and snow - anybody with draw strings was told to cut the strings or remove the jacket.
    I keep a handful of safety pins in my teaching kit for just that reason.

pax
    Kathy Jackson

This is why I wish glock would make a glock 19 with a MP style saftey. Until then the mp 9c with thumb saftey will be here.

I submit that ANY loose string present on the waistband area of your garments -jacket, t shirt, or otherwise-are a categorical risk to your safety as a gun owner, and should be removed at once.

I say that because years ago, I owned and carried a Taurus PT-99 Condition 1. One day I leave my car to go eat and feel a weird sensation in my holster mid exit-so I sit back down, slowly, and closed my drivers side door to find that a random string on my cotton sweater had somehow wrapped itself around the grip and trigger of the gun-pinning the trigger to the rear with enough force that I needed my pocketknife to cut it off. Don't think for a moment that just because a loose string looks thin that its not strong enough to activate the trigger, cause it will once that little string gets caught on the grip and tensioned against your garment. Since the gun was on safe, no loud noise resulted-but that wasn't the point.

I was still a negligent fool for wearing the wrong attire to start with, and the only reason I didn't blow a hole in myself and my car is luck.

The first time this ever cross my mind was in one of Todd's class as well. Everyone cut off the drawstrings right there on the spot. Honestly, I've never drawn them tight anyway except for maybe once while snow skiing.

I've got several where the only adjustment/exposed part is on the left side. Otherwise they get cut off.

User Tag List