Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please critique my letter before I send it out to my governor/state senator....

Please critique my letter before I send it out to my governor/state senator....

As a property owner, tax payer and soon-to-be small business owner, I find it offensive that the state assembly is trying to turn law abiding citizens of NJ into criminals. The only transparent reason politicians are taking this stance is out of political expedience in order to 'seem' like they are doing 'something' in the wake of the Newtown, CT tragedy.

No matter how tragic Newtown, CT is, it is still not the norm. As a matter of fact, it is not even that common. Newtown did not happen because a law abiding citizen had too many rounds in his magazine. It happened because a disturbed boy killed his mother in her pajamas one morning and then went on to kill unarmed and unprotected children and teachers. The law did not slow him down, resistance did, and the moment he sensed that resistance he took his own life. Criminals, by definition, do not adhere to gun control or any other law for that matter. Law abiding citizens, by definition do.

In the ten years since the Assault Weapons Ban has been lifted, nothing has changed in NJ. There has not been more blood in the streets, especially by law abiding citizens. Enacting legislation today will do nothing but cause the law abiding citizen to become a criminal overnight alongside the very real criminals that will carry whatever magazine capacity they like.

Lastly, since the Brady Campaign ranks NJ as number two only to California, I must point out my concerns in the light of recent events. With the FBI arrest of state senator Leland Yee, I am forced to wonder who it is we are really trying to protect with the reduction of our 2nd Amendment rights? Are we truly trying to protect the rights of the law abiding citizen or are we trying to protect the rights of the criminal element, foreign and domestic?
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

Looks god to me. Wish I could write like that but I cannot spell kat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. I hope I didn't muddy the waters too much with the California thing. However, I think it's a very real concern that the only other state that is more restrictive than NJ's is the one that has this huge scandal going on right now with the number 1 player being a huge anti-gun advocate.

I think the letter is killer, D. I agree that the CA portion muddies it a bit; perhaps there is a way to clarify your concern there and make it more relevant?

eg: Lastly, since the Brady Campaign ranks NJ as the number two most controlled state second only to California, I must point out my concerns in the light of recent events. With the FBI arrest of California state senator Leland Yee, I am forced to wonder who it is we are really trying to protect with further reduction of our 2nd Amendment rights? Are we truly trying to protect the rights of the law abiding citizen or would we be de facto protecting the rights of the criminal element, foreign and domestic?

Or not; it's a good letter, regardless.

Thanks for the critique and I appreciate the input. It'll be worked over mightily by all of you before I send it out on Monday.

If anyone else wants to grab bits of it and throw their weight against this 'land grab' legislation, it's free for the taking.

Good for you! I live in CT and speaking up about easing our stupid laws gets you some heavy criticism here. Turning over these laws I fear will take a lifetime if ever. I can only hope we can get a more sympathetic government over time and see where that takes us.

Sadly WE all know the good law abiding citizens are not the issue. There are simply some people who just fear guns. Sadly THEY don't realize how beneficial guns are in the hands of responsible citizens when the need arises.

Good luck - wonder what kind of reply you'll get.

About once a year I write a letter (usually to the State House and Senate) wherein I detail my philosophical problems with them and their legislative thrust of anti-human rights statism and threaten to 'leave' the Democratic Party for the ranks of Independents or Republicans.

When there is a specific bill or issue, rather than making any arguments, I usually take the advice of my state gun rights organization and just say very succinctly: I am in favor of/oppose bill X. I am paying attention to how legislators vote and I will not forget. If you vote for/against bill X, I will give my vote, my money, and my time to your next opponent.

This way of letter-writing supposes they care about money and votes, rather than a discussion, and that they may only read about three sentences before losing interest. I think this is a wise way.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Site Supporter
    I don't think a rant accomplishes anything. After reading the OP I'm left thinking.... "What is this guy asking me (the recipient) to do for him?"

Ask for something. Something tangible. Be specific.

Also.... Your Governor wants to run for POTUS. If I was inclined to spend the time and electrons to write him, I'd not pass on the opportunity to ask him how he thinks NJ's gun ban-a-thon will enhance his chances at White House residency. Not that I would expect a reply.

http://www.nj.com/politics/index.ssf...rt_battle.html
    Christi sent his AG to defend anti-2A laws in trial court, but stepped back when the case rose to the Appellate. Ostensibly so that he didn't shed any more light on his unconscionable 2A position.

I'm done voting for Republican statists. Christie will never get my vote.
    Last edited by RoyGBiv; 03-31-2014 at 03:13 PM.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

You really want a critique? i am an elected official, and get letters all the time.
    Your letter is way too long. I stopped reading your post by paragraph three and I had to force myself to read the same pro gun "crap" every letter has in it.
    WTF cares about Connecticut, California or anywhere else in New Jersey?? No one
    Who cares what Brady thinks of New Jersey?? No one
    A letter to an elected official should be short and sweet
    Introduction, (who you are, where you live, and why you are writing him or her about a SPECIFIC piece of legislation)
    Statement of opposition to the pending legislation
    Expectation that you will receive a reply

Follow up in a month. Thank you for your reply, Thank you for your reply but I continue to oppose bill number 123, Thank you for supporting my position on this piece of legislation, or I wrote you a month ago and I have yet to receive a reply.

Awesome! Thanks for the beat down. I needed that and was waiting to send it until I got something more 'brutal'-lol! I'll shorten it and make it crystal clear.

User Tag List