Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Combat Revolver?

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    So.......I wanted to check out the loads that were made for me. I also really wanted to see what they would be like indoors, so I dropped my kid at Pre-School and snuck down to the local indoor range that was in the area. I asked the owner if it was okay to shoot six rounds of black powder, and he shrugged his shoulders and said "sure". So I wander out to the range, load up six rounds of the flamethrower flash bang hammer of Thor loads in the little Vaquero. I thumbed the hammer back and dropped it...............and the world exploded. It was like what I imagine being inside a black cloud with a bolt of lightning is like. It was life altering and wonderful. So while I am waiting for the smoke to clear to find the singed and smoking target to fire round number two of pure awesomeness, I hear screaming in Korean over the P.A. system. Finally, he is screaming to "cease fire" in English. He thought the range had blown up. I had to leave. I didn't get to finish testing at his range and I was not allowed to bring that gun back. I fired the rest of the test loads at our outdoor range, but it wasn't even close on the fun factor. Needless to say, I feel confident that some urban gang banger would get the surprise of their life from a first exposure to mega level black powder.
    These sound like Elmer Keith Memorial 4th of July loads!

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    I would do bad, bad things for an SAA in .32 WCF.
    Hmmm. Just how bad?

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    I would do bad, bad things for an SAA in .32 WCF.
    Are we talking Leland Yee level of bad, now?
    Looking for a gun blog with AARs, gear reviews, and the occasional random tangent written by a hardcore geek? trevoronthetrigger.wordpress.com/
    Latest post: The Rogers Shooting School Experience (15 Jul 2014)

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    So.......I wanted to check out the loads that were made for me. I also really wanted to see what they would be like indoors, so I dropped my kid at Pre-School and snuck down to the local indoor range that was in the area. I asked the owner if it was okay to shoot six rounds of black powder, and he shrugged his shoulders and said "sure". So I wander out to the range, load up six rounds of the flamethrower flash bang hammer of Thor loads in the little Vaquero. I thumbed the hammer back and dropped it...............and the world exploded. It was like what I imagine being inside a black cloud with a bolt of lightning is like. It was life altering and wonderful. So while I am waiting for the smoke to clear to find the singed and smoking target to fire round number two of pure awesomeness, I hear screaming in Korean over the P.A. system. Finally, he is screaming to "cease fire" in English. He thought the range had blown up. I had to leave. I didn't get to finish testing at his range and I was not allowed to bring that gun back. I fired the rest of the test loads at our outdoor range, but it wasn't even close on the fun factor. Needless to say, I feel confident that some urban gang banger would get the surprise of their life from a first exposure to mega level black powder.
    Our range had a CA-compliant filtration system. And let me tell you, them filters ain't cheap. We had a small range fire going and one of our employees ran out with a chemical extinguisher, not realizing that we kept pressurized water extinguishers on the range for those occurrences. I nearly tackled him before he could start putting big clouds of Filter-B-Clogg'd into the air.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

So I wander out to the range, load up six rounds of the flamethrower flash bang hammer of Thor loads in the little Vaquero. I thumbed the hammer back and dropped it...............and the world exploded. It was like what I imagine being inside a black cloud with a bolt of lightning is like. It was life altering and wonderful.
    Thats sort of how I felt when I used to shoot black in my SAA 44 spl and 86 Winchester. The deep booming rolling thunder sound was amazing as it echoed off the hills of Arizona. When I first shot a Dragoon with 50 grs 3f out in the hills here, it was another one of those "coolest things ever!" moments. I must admit though, I never shot any of my black loads indoors. Now you've got me curious. I have the Dragoon loaded, hanging on the wall,.....
    Last edited by Malamute; 03-28-2014 at 11:20 PM. Reason: kant spell

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    What style do you have in mind?
    I dunno. I'm still looking at various rigs right now.

Quote Originally Posted by LHS View Post
    Hmmm... Now I'm contemplating BP loads for my .44 Vaquero. Thanks...
    25 grains of Pyrodex P behind a 200 LFN in a 44 Special case. Let me know the next time you come home for a Harmar match and I will bring some along.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    25 grains of Pyrodex P behind a 200 LFN in a 44 Special case. Let me know the next time you come home for a Harmar match and I will bring some along.
    Most definitely will do, Bill.

I think the FBI nailed it with their idea of a combat revolver: the 3" fixed sight S&W K frame in .357 Magnum.

Ne plus ultra.

Skeeter Skelton wrote that he'd just come in from hunting when his phone rang one day.
    He got called to help chase down a perp, armed robber, maybe.
    He just put his hat back on and went out with his hunting gun, a single action .44 Magnum, in his holster.

He caught up to the perp and put the gun in his face. The guy surrendered.
    He told officers later that he'd planned to fight it out, but,

"That cowboy had the biggest damn gun I'd ever seen."

I can't remember what the gun was. Might have been a Ruger Super Blackhawk, or a Colt New Frontier, like the one pictured at the top of
    this thread.

I should look for the magazine with that story in it. It's in the attic somewhere.

User Tag List