Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Maryland Laws for Non-Residents for Banned Rifles

Quote Originally Posted by cclaxton View Post
    Don't get me wrong...and please don't take offense. Law Enforcement gets things wrong and they can't know the intricacies of all the laws. That is equal opportunity for misunderstanding the laws. But NJ does have a reputation of being over-zealous enforcing some of their gun and ammo laws. Maryland is not playing at that level. That is all I was saying.
    Cody
    Gotcha.

I dont think its any zeal as it is the laws being convoluted, as you noted. We cant expect cops to enforce these laws correctly when specialized lawyers are needed to read them. Not even regular lawyers will touch them.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by DGI View Post
    This is exactly what the issue with these laws are.

The "details" werent ironed out until the law took effect, and most of it was developed afterwards.

I can buy banned magazines out of state and legally return home and use them for competition and practice. I've even gotten the OK from various MSP officers and higher ups to carry them (not that I trust that). Technically however, when at the range, if I were to hand a friend my pistol with that magazine for them to shoot, I'd be breaking the law? Again some say so, others disagree.

"Assault Weapons" are banned but I can easily go into any gun shop and buy a Colt H-bar or LWRC REPR or any heavy barreled rifle.

The biggest idiots that make the loudest noise and most ridiculous promises to the dumbest voters get in office then fuck it up for the rest of us.
    As I have said before: This was a symbolic law and will have little to no effect on actually reducing gun violence. But the politicians can say they did *something.* It might reduce a few ND's for newbies because of the better training classes.
    Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    The Maryland Law is a cluster of illogical stupidity...
    NJ's is no better.
    Scott
    Only Hits Count - The Faster the Hit the more it Counts!!!!!!; DELIVER THE SHOT!
    Stephen Hillier - "An amateur practices until he can do it right, a professional practices until he can't do it wrong."

As I have said before: This was a symbolic law and will have little to no effect on actually reducing gun violence. But the politicians can say they did *something.* It might reduce a few ND's for newbies because of the better training classes.
    Cody
    No doubt. But that symbolic law will put you in jail real quick.
    Scott
    Only Hits Count - The Faster the Hit the more it Counts!!!!!!; DELIVER THE SHOT!
    Stephen Hillier - "An amateur practices until he can do it right, a professional practices until he can't do it wrong."

Here is the reply from the Attorney General, word for word. I would want to have a copy of the receipt showing it was purchased prior to Oct 1, 2013, and a copy of this email.
    Cody

Mr. Claxton,

Handguns may be transported in a vehicle in Maryland, "in connection with a target shoot, formal or informal target practice, sport shooting event, hunting and similar functions -- provided that the handgun is unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or enclosed holster during transport." Section 4-203(b)(4), Criminal Law Article, Annotated Code of Maryland.

"A person who lawfully possessed an assault pistol before June 1, 1994, and who registered the assault pistol with the Secretary of State Police before August 1, 1994, may continue to possess and transport the assault pistol . . . ." Criminal Law Article, Section 4-303(b)(1)(i).

Long guns that are not "assault weapons" may be transported in vehicles, provided that they are unloaded.

A person may possess and transport an assault long guns or "copycat weapon" in Maryland if the person "lawfully possessed, has a purchase order for, or completed an application to purchase an assault long gun or a copycat weapon before October 1, 2013 . . . ." Criminal Law Article, Section 4-303(b)(3)(i).

Section 4-305(b) of the Criminal Law Article prohibits the "manufacture, sell, offer for sale, purchase, receive, or transfer a detachable magazine that has a capacity of more than 10 rounds of ammunition for a firearm." The statute does not prohibit possession or transportation.

Mark H. Bowen
    Assistant Attorney General
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

Site Supporter
    Here is the reply from the Attorney General, word for word. I would want to have a copy of the receipt showing it was purchased prior to Oct 1, 2013, and a copy of this email.
    Cody

Mr. Claxton,

Handguns may be transported in a vehicle in Maryland, "in connection with a target shoot, formal or informal target practice, sport shooting event, hunting and similar functions -- provided that the handgun is unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or enclosed holster during transport." Section 4-203(b)(4), Criminal Law Article, Annotated Code of Maryland.

"A person who lawfully possessed an assault pistol before June 1, 1994, and who registered the assault pistol with the Secretary of State Police before August 1, 1994, may continue to possess and transport the assault pistol . . . ." Criminal Law Article, Section 4-303(b)(1)(i).

Long guns that are not "assault weapons" may be transported in vehicles, provided that they are unloaded.

A person may possess and transport an assault long guns or "copycat weapon" in Maryland if the person "lawfully possessed, has a purchase order for, or completed an application to purchase an assault long gun or a copycat weapon before October 1, 2013 . . . ." Criminal Law Article, Section 4-303(b)(3)(i).

Section 4-305(b) of the Criminal Law Article prohibits the "manufacture, sell, offer for sale, purchase, receive, or transfer a detachable magazine that has a capacity of more than 10 rounds of ammunition for a firearm." The statute does not prohibit possession or transportation.

Mark H. Bowen
    Assistant Attorney General
    Thanks for writing to them. That letter is nice to have.

User Tag List