Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Maryland Laws for Non-Residents for Banned Rifles

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    Joshs, where are you getting that reading of the law? The one I’m seeing talks about assault pistols.

http://law.justia.com/codes/maryland...gcr/4-303.html

§ 4-303.
    (a) Except as provided in subsection (b) of this section, a person may not:
    (1) transport an assault pistol into the State; or
    (2) possess, sell, offer to sell, transfer, purchase, or receive an assault pistol.
    (b) A person who lawfully possessed an assault pistol before June 1, 1994 and who registered the assault pistol with the Secretary of the State Police before August 1, 1994 may continue to possess the assault pistol.
    That's the section prior to being amended by SB 281 last year. To see the changes you can access the bill here: http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2013RS/bills/sb/sb0281e.pdf

If you ask five MSP troopers about this law, chances are you'll get five different answers. When dealing with firearms, proceed with extreme caution in Maryland.

No disrespect meant to any police officer by this next statement, because I know many excellent officers who know the law to a T, and much better than I.

But.

Do not rely on law enforcement - local, state or federal - for legal guidance or a correct interpretation of the law. "Officer Friendly said I could" is not a defense.

Don't do it. Read the statutes, use your brain, and consult a lawyer before you go traipsing around a ban state with banned guns.

I sent a letter to the Attorney Generals' office telling them that the Md State Police is either giving out incorrect information OR there is an exception or other law that would allow non-residents to transport banned firearms for legal sporting purposes. And, we can't find that reference, if it exists. I found Maryland Shall Issue's site to be somewhat helpful. https://marylandshallissue.com/faqs/ I joined..only $20/yr.
    Cody
    Last edited by cclaxton; 03-28-2014 at 12:42 PM.
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

Quote Originally Posted by TR675 View Post
    No disrespect meant to any police officer by this next statement, because I know many excellent officers who know the law to a T, and much better than I.

But.

Do not rely on law enforcement - local, state or federal - for legal guidance or a correct interpretation of the law. "Officer Friendly said I could" is not a defense.

Don't do it. Read the statutes, use your brain, and consult a lawyer before you go traipsing around a ban state with banned guns.
    Sheesh. Let's not pull any punches, here.......even my gun nut friends in LE don't know what the hell they're talking about.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Sheesh. Let's not pull any punches, here.......even my gun nut friends in LE don't know what the hell they're talking about.
    Well, Maryland is not New Jersey...at least...not yet.
    Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

Quote Originally Posted by cclaxton View Post
    Well, Maryland is not New Jersey...at least...not yet.
    Cody
    Come again?

Also, I have friends in LE throughout the country at the local, state and federal level. So, this isn't really an issue of being confined to NJ, as you're implying.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Come again?

Also, I have friends in LE throughout the country at the local, state and federal level. So, this isn't really an issue of being confined to NJ, as you're implying.
    Don't get me wrong...and please don't take offense. Law Enforcement gets things wrong and they can't know the intricacies of all the laws. That is equal opportunity for misunderstanding the laws. But NJ does have a reputation of being over-zealous enforcing some of their gun and ammo laws. Maryland is not playing at that level. That is all I was saying.
    Cody

Quote Originally Posted by FredM View Post
    If you ask five MSP troopers about this law, chances are you'll get five different answers. When dealing with firearms, proceed with extreme caution in Maryland.
    This is exactly what the issue with these laws are.

The "details" werent ironed out until the law took effect, and most of it was developed afterwards.

I can buy banned magazines out of state and legally return home and use them for competition and practice. I've even gotten the OK from various MSP officers and higher ups to carry them (not that I trust that). Technically however, when at the range, if I were to hand a friend my pistol with that magazine for them to shoot, I'd be breaking the law? Again some say so, others disagree.

"Assault Weapons" are banned but I can easily go into any gun shop and buy a Colt H-bar or LWRC REPR or any heavy barreled rifle.

The biggest idiots that make the loudest noise and most ridiculous promises to the dumbest voters get in office then fuck it up for the rest of us.

The Maryland Law is a cluster of illogical stupidity...
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

User Tag List