Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Maryland Laws for Non-Residents for Banned Rifles

Maryland Laws for Non-Residents for Banned Rifles

*This is not legal advice*

I spoke with an officer at the Maryland State Police Licensing Division and I was asking about going to Thurmont Conservation and Sportsmens Club in Thurmont, MD from Virginia to practice with my new Stag 3G Rifle, which is a banned rifle as of Oct 2013 in Maryland.

She told me that all new restrictions are only for Maryland residents.

As long as you are legally entitled to possess the "Maryland banned rifle" in your home State, then you are allowed to take it to a legal shooting range in Maryland for competition or practice. When transporting the rifle, it must be unloaded, ammunition separate and in the trunk or rear of the vehicle. Also, high capacity magazines are allowed for non-residents, but you just can't sell or give one to a Maryland resident. FYI, Maryland residents appear to be able to drive to another State and buy high capacity magazines legally. (During my research I found this in the Maryland Police documents.)

Also, you can stop for lunch/dinner and gas without violating the law. I didn't ask about staying overnight since I live in the area.

And, of course, Title 18 allows you to drive through the State with your legal rifles/mags, subject to the well-known Title 18 requirements.

FYI, for Handguns same rules are in place, but since they didn't ban any handguns (Only AR-style pistols), then the law didn't affect handguns. High Capacity mags are allowed for competition and practice.

I am glad because it means I can shoot my new Stag 3G as soon as I get it. I have a Burris 1-5x24 on order, due in late April to go on it for 3gun.

Thanks,
    Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

Quote Originally Posted by cclaxton View Post
    I am glad because it means I can shoot my new Stag 3G as soon as I get it.
    Ahh, yes, we're so thankful for the benevolence of our dear leaders.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

It's more than a little bipolar that you can take weapons banned in MD to MD and use them......
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    It's more than a little bipolar that you can take weapons banned in MD to MD and use them......
    That's because you can't:

"Except as provided in subsection (b) of this section, a person may not: (1) transport an assault weapon into the State; or(2) possess, sell, offer to sell, transfer, purchase, or receive an assault weapon." Md. Code Ann. Crim. Law § 4-303(a).

I'm not aware of an applicable exception (unless you owned the "assault weapon" before October 1, 2013 and the OP admittedly didn't), and I would not travel into Maryland with an "assault weapon" without a clear exception that I could point to in the law.

This post is not legal advice and it is not meant to create or infer an attorney-client relationship.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    It is very odd...and a little bit funny. The other weird thing: IF you bought a banned weapon before Oct 2013, it's perfectly legal.

I have a friend that calls these kinds of laws "symbolic laws" that don't actually do anything to solve a problem, but make the politicians look like they did something about it. IMHO, the only benefit to the law is that it requires citizens to get more training.

Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post
    That's because you can't:

"Except as provided in subsection (b) of this section, a person may not: (1) transport an assault weapon into the State; or(2) possess, sell, offer to sell, transfer, purchase, or receive an assault weapon." Md. Code Ann. Crim. Law § 4-303(a).

I'm not aware of an applicable exception (unless you owned the "assault weapon" before October 1, 2013 and the OP admittedly didn't), and I would not travel into Maryland with an "assault weapon" without a clear exception that I could point to in the law.

This post is not legal advice and it is not meant to create or infer an attorney-client relationship.
    Josh,
    That is why I called Maryland State Police...because of what I saw in the Statutes. I also sent the request in writing. I will pursue that so that I have their response in writing. But I asked her about this very specifically because of the way the Statutes are written, and she said she gets this question all the time and that is the answer she has been told to give.

It may have to do with the applicability of the Statute...applying only to Maryland State Residents.

Once I get the written response, I will post it here.
    Cody

Site Supporter
    Josh,
    That is why I called Maryland State Police...because of what I saw in the Statutes. I also sent the request in writing. I will pursue that so that I have their response in writing. But I asked her about this very specifically because of the way the Statutes are written, and she said she gets this question all the time and that is the answer she has been told to give.

It may have to do with the applicability of the Statute...applying only to Maryland State Residents.

Once I get the written response, I will post it here.
    Cody
    The definition of "person" isn't limited to residents. “'Person' means an individual, sole proprietorship, partnership, firm, association, corporation, or other entity." Md. Code Ann., Crim. Law § 1-101.

I would be very hesitant to trust any response that does not include a citation a clear exception to the prohibition in Md. Code Ann. Crim. Law § 4-303(a).

Butters, the d*** shooter Byron's Avatar
    That is why I called Maryland State Police...because of what I saw in the Statutes.
    I am curious to see the eventual written response, but I would be extremely cautious trusting anything they say over the phone.

I say that with no intended disrespect towards the Maryland State Police. It's just that I know from personal experience that you don't always get someone on the line who actually knows the law. From a previous thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    I had some very frustrating conversations with the Maryland State Police after my father died back in 2008.

"I've just inherited a number of firearms from my father. What paperwork do I need to complete?"
    "Well, both parties of a transfer need to come in to the barracks. You will fill out form..."
    "Thank you. I do understand the process for a standard transfer, but I cannot bring any other party to your barracks, as I have inherited these firearms."
    "If you cannot bring in the other party, you cannot transfer firearms."
    [Trying really hard to remain calm and polite] "My father is dead. He just recently died. I want to make sure I am following the law."
    [Awkward pause. No response.]
    "Since my father is dead, I cannot bring him in to fill out forms. Please tell me what I need to do in this case."
    "Sir, your father is dead?!"
    "Yes. Dead."
    [In a concerned/suspicious tone] "So where are the firearms right now, sir?"
    "If you run into an a**hole in the morning, you ran into an a**hole. If you run into a**holes all day, you're the a**hole." - Raylan Givens

I also reached out to my LE friends in Maryland to see if they can get to the bottom of the exception, if one exists. There are often Maryland State Enforcement documents that LE uses to understand the enforcement aspects of the laws, and it may be in those documents that are, as yet, unpublished.
    Cody

Joshs, where are you getting that reading of the law? The one I’m seeing talks about assault pistols.

http://law.justia.com/codes/maryland...gcr/4-303.html

§ 4-303.
    (a) Except as provided in subsection (b) of this section, a person may not:
    (1) transport an assault pistol into the State; or
    (2) possess, sell, offer to sell, transfer, purchase, or receive an assault pistol.
    (b) A person who lawfully possessed an assault pistol before June 1, 1994 and who registered the assault pistol with the Secretary of the State Police before August 1, 1994 may continue to possess the assault pistol.

User Tag List