Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: My DA/SA Traditional: Ruger P89

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    What do you not like about the P95?
    Just not a fan, I think the P95 marked the period where Ruger was seemingly concentrating more on marketing/marketability than engineering and durability. I'm not implying that a P95 is a piece of junk, but I think a P93 is a better bet for long term durability in a P-Series compact pistol niche. The P93/P94 are essentially aesthetically streamlined and aesthetically cleaned-up P89s, with some minor mechanical/component improvements (but the later substitution of the camblock over the swinging link in .40 P94s was a major and very significant improvement regarding the P-Series .40). But I think in 9mm the swinging link setup is just fine, and has nicely withstood the test of time. In .40, I think the camblock setup is better. While the P95 has the camblock, and is at least theoretically a more durable system, I don't really consider it a necessary improvement until you move to .40.

I personally just think that the 9mm P89/P93/P94s are a bit more bulletproof than a P95; YMMV.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 06-08-2023 at 11:49 AM.
    Sponsored by Check-Mate Industries and BH Spring Solutions
    Certified Glock Armorer

Quote Originally Posted by john c View Post
    Jon;

What is your opinion of the P95 and P97? Any info on product updates on these pistols?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My recollection is, the P97 went away when the P345 came, which was (so the Innernet tells me) 2004. The P95 got a refresh late in the game, and might have been the very last of the P series.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    JonInWA is certainly amenable, Matty, you're more than welcome to quote me and use me however I can help.

Best, Jon
    Thanks, Jon! I appreciate it. Your posts comprise the foundation of my P-Series knowledge. I’ll let you know when I get into it—the P89 definitely has a story worth telling.
    For astute purveyors of pew: hipstertactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    If anyone is interested:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/989085097

@JonInWA is there any way to make them decock-only?
    I see it sold; did one of us get it? Best, Jon
    Certified Glock Armorer

Shipped in 2008 per Ruger serial number lookup.

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    I see it sold; did one of us get it? Best, Jon
    One of you guys outbid me for it.
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Thanks, Jon! I appreciate it. Your posts comprise the foundation of my P-Series knowledge. I’ll let you know when I get into it—the P89 definitely has a story worth telling.

Matt, just a bump of the thread to let you know I enjoyed your review of the P89👍…

Thanks for putting in the time giving such a pedestrian gun😋 a moment in the spotlights!

Regards

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jumme View Post
    Matt, just a bump of the thread to let you know I enjoyed your review of the P89👍…

Thanks for putting in the time giving such a pedestrian gun😋 a moment in the spotlights!

Regards
    Thanks, Bjorn! Really appreciate it. I think the P89 deserves to be seen as more than just a pedestrian gun. I really like the pistol... period. Regardless of how much it costs or any other considerations.

@JonInWA I tried to send you a PM and your box was full - LOL - wanted to see if you had any builds/thoughts on the writeup. I don't think I made any erroneous claims... but you are the resident P Series guru
    For astute purveyors of pew: hipstertactical.com

Matty, that's a superb write-up and analysis. In addition to what you covered, I'll add a couple of things: 1. According to my sources, prior to the XM9/XM10 trials, Ruger performed some incremental changes; the swinging link was thickened, the sights were slightly enlarged, the slide release was given a flatter shape with less mass, and I believe that the sear was modified. 2. I also believe that Ruger continued to play with the Xenoy grip plates in terms of how thick and how much dishing there was. Other than that, I believe that the biggest thing for the XM10 trials was the introduction of a locking grubscrew into the rear sight to firmly set the sight to preclude movement in the dovetail (or, conversely, to allow some more movement to facilitate adjustment, and then to lock it in once adjusted).

Other more substantive changes came later-mainly the barrel/slide fitment modification that provided more accuracy, and the magazine latch and magazine tube modifications, which allowed the magazine to sit slightly higher in the receiver providing cartridges a more direct path from magazine to chamber. The later magazines were likely produced by Mec-Gar for Ruger, and the basepads switched from stamped steel to a thicker polymer on both 15 and 10 round magazines. OEM magazines were stainless, but blued ones were available, both from Shop Ruger and Mec-Gar, and there were eventually at least 2 variants of the 10 round magazines, distinguished by how the basepad was affixed to the tube.

Absolutely feel free to link, or provide in toto your review into this thread. Excellent job!

Best, Jon
    Certified Glock Armorer

I had a P85 and I wish I had kept it. It was built like a tank and I thought the trigger was as good as a Sig. This thread has me looking for one again.

User Tag List