Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Col. Cooper's/Gunsite's Four Rules...

What is the true context then, for the peasants out there.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post

This was proven true to me during a live fire range session in 2011 when one of the young trainees ND'd his pistol into one of my range support staff
    Okay, but it was 2011. You had to know that year wasn't going to run smoothly without constant attention.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    What is the true context then, for the peasants out there.
    I'm not necessarily answering you, but I'm going to attempt to channel Sean and nyeti through my martial experiences and I'm sure you can find a similar theme in your own business.

When I became certified by the NRA, technically I could "teach" the NRA way with that piece of paper. But before I even finished the course, I told my instructor that there was no way I could teach given how much I had to learn. I had no context/experience of going through "the ranks" of becoming a great/good shooter yet, so I'd only be parroting wisdom and not truly imparting wisdom. I hadn't learn to eat my own crow or as the Chinese say, learning to eat bitter.

As a martial artist who has taught for nearly 2 decades and trained for nearly 3, I can unequivocally say that some people really can't teach. Sure they can take a highly motivated person and move them along, aping and parotting their instructor's methods, but I can tell you that it could take years before the material and "you" become a unit worth reproducing. And then, when you start trying to take the average or below average person through the ranks? That can be tough noogies.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post
    .......they also require an instructor/mentor/teacher who truly understands the material, and how it applies to practical reality in order to impart the complete intent to people who are just being introduced to the concept.

Wisdom comes from studying those who have gone before, and learning from their mistakes. Enlightenment comes from combining knowledge, wisdom, and never failing to ask "Why".

I have lost count of the number of people who can rattle off quotes from his book, yet have failed to grasp the meanings.
    Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    Outstanding post Sean, and I think the above quote is gold. I have found that many folks "teaching" have very little understanding of the true context of the Gunsite Safety Rules, and many of those who are teaching their own variations also lack understanding when I have discussed the issues with what they are teaching. I have been pretty much appalled at the lack of actually "teaching" safety principles as opposed to regurgitating some variation in front of students at best with no context, or "everybody know the rules" or "big boy rules" at worse.
    +10000.

This goes to everything out there. A blurb about the bastardized "21 ft. Rule" during an LE use-of-force course evolved into me actually explaining the history and concept of the Tueller Principle and drill behind it. No one in the class, instructor included, had any idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    The following are commonly referred to as the "cardinal" and/or "universal" "rules" of safe gun handling:

All guns are always loaded. Even if they are not, treat them as if they are.

Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy. (For those who insist that this particular gun is unloaded, see Rule 1.)

Keep your finger off the trigger till your sights are on the target. This is the Golden Rule. Its violation is directly responsible for about 60 percent of inadvertent discharges.

Identify your target, and what is behind it. Never shoot at anything that you have not positively identified.

Question #1: Are they truly Rules?

Question #2: Are they, in fact, universal?

Question #3: Are they serving us well?
    Is this thread tracking to the proposition that learning and applying these requires face time with a professional instructor that grasps the nuances, contexts and layered meanings?
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Is this thread tracking to the proposition that learning and applying these requires face time with a professional instructor that grasps the nuances, contexts and layered meanings?
    That's not what I'm taking from it (personally I lived by these long before I entered competition or took a training class) although there is a certain subset of shooters that will only accept advice (good and bad) from someone they pay outrageous sums to. I deal with that in my cycling business when someone asks my advice as a certified SME, ignores what I tell them and then pays some "certified expert by watching a be-an-instructor video and paying $50" coach for advice and follows them and after trying that ends up going with my free advice.

On Sean's note of conscious thought when doing administrative handling arfcom starts the week off with yet another ND self injury report.

OK, so I had a negligent discharge. I have been around guns for years and can’t believe I did something so stupid. It was with a Seecamp .32. I was watching TV and messing with the gun. I had taken it apart 3 times and was putting it back for the third time. It has a magazine safety and in order to re-assemble it, you have to put the magazine in to get the hammer back and get the slide back on. Well, lazy me, I didn’t unload the mag, but would just slide it in enough to engage the safety but not pick up a bullet. So this third time, I got it back together, and like an idiot, assuming there was no bullet in the chamber, pulled the trigger with my left hand in front of the barrel.
    Tiny guns make it worse but folks that grab the front of the slide and inevitably let their pinky or two fingers drape over the front of the slide make me twitch.

I know two older experienced shooters who blew off fingers in the last couple of years. Those kittening rules work and when they don't, bad things can happen. We also had a child killed and two wounded in the last several days. Kitten me.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    I would say "no"; however, it is not a free ride. I have read most of Cooper's work. I have attended training with folks who truly understand the safety rules and "teach them", not "read them". I shot competitively with guys who were API staff folks and many Gunsite grads and instructors who seemed to be able to run a hot competitive event with emphasis on all of the Combat Triad and absolute adherence to the Gunsite presented safety rules, and I have spent a lot of time dedicated to this subject. The reality is that somebody simply "reading" the rules, or having them read to you does not cut it. Like anything, they need to be correctly "taught" to really get it to work. I look at it like reading a sign on a range wall that says "focus on the front sight, smoothly press the trigger to the rear while not disturbing the sights and use good follow through" may be all that is needed to get someone to shoot well, but I doubt it. Now get some time with a good instructor and it will help a lot over reading the sign. Then get with a high level instructor over several days and then continue to train and you will probably get much farther. Same with the safety rules. If you want to have simple "read and follow rules", then the NRA things may work for those willing to invest nothing into the process.

As I have said earlier, we "teach" a portion of our classes on application of the safety rules and using them as an important part of the component of using a firearm. Later, we use simple safety briefings on a quick review to remind students of what we learned on the morning of day one during points when we are starting training again from a break. This is how I have seen it done at several places that have very successful safety records, so we simply copied what we know works.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

I think that we'd be remiss if we did not continually reevaluate all of the many facets of things we do with guns in our hands.

Col. Cooper was a wise man and he built the foundation for us, but he didn't have the tools available that we have available to us. From organizations such as OSHA, FAA, NRC, and NASA, we have formal models for safety and risk assessment. Human Performance (HU) is widely studied and tools have been implemented on an industrial scale which are solely designed to help mitigate human error and promote defense-in-depth.

If Cooper's Four Rules are the best we have - after reexamination - then we should stick with them. We shouldn't hesitate to look at them critically, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    We shouldn't hesitate to look at them critically, though.
    It's sheer arrogance if we don't.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

User Tag List