Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fixin' Stuff

*femtosecond
    Looking for a gun blog with AARs, gear reviews, and the occasional random tangent written by a hardcore geek? trevoronthetrigger.wordpress.com/
    Latest post: The Rogers Shooting School Experience (15 Jul 2014)

Quote Originally Posted by TheTrevor View Post
    *femtosecond
    Now that'smade up

Quote Originally Posted by NickA View Post
    Now that'smade up
    Proof that scientists have a sense of humor:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jiffy_(time)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shake_(unit)
    Looking for a gun blog with AARs, gear reviews, and the occasional random tangent written by a hardcore geek? trevoronthetrigger.wordpress.com/
    Latest post: The Rogers Shooting School Experience (15 Jul 2014)

Nuclear cross sectional area units are barns, sheds and out houses.

(The lasers pulse time was chosen because of a legitimate project, not because of anything gun related)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Riehl View Post
    Sure - ours is a femptosecond pulse Nd:YAG system that we built. Has XYZ control, and uses a Leica microscope. Started life out as a Renishaw Raman System.
    I'll be copying, pasting and printing that verbatim to ask what their capabilities are because I'll sound like a hillbilly trying to recite Shakespeare by memory if I say it. Thanks!

You know, you can always just send it to me, I'll do it, then send it back.

I've been thinking I should just go ahead and send you my (the wife's actually) oldest, worst M&P 9 to do your experimenting on. Is that something you'd still be up for?

The welding up extractor (& ejector) is actually on a Kel-Tec PF9 that is my project gun. So hellishly unreliable with failures to extract (in spite of a trip to the factory, new slide, new frame, new barrel, new extractor) that I could never sell it in good conscience and I'm not going to take a chop saw to it so I'm learning on it. It's slide cycle is very violent, the barrel tilt is radical, the extractor engagement is weak and the ejector hits the case in the wrong spot so it is as likely to reinsert the empty case into the chamber as to kick it out.

I had my brother in law (a structural welder turned engineer) weld a bunch of extra meat onto an extractor and I hand filed it into a no slop part with a larger hook that turned the Kel-Tec into a controlled round feeder but over filed one dimension and when he tried to TIG up a little more meat it got too melty so I'm starting over. The sheet metal ejector did not enjoy being welded on. The good news is I have a small stack of extractors and ejectors to fiddle with for a $20 bill.

It's tedious but I'm learning a lot about fitting parts by hand on a gun that has dirt cheap parts and if something gets screwed up I don't cry.

Quote Originally Posted by Lomshek View Post
    I'll be copying, pasting and printing that verbatim to ask what their capabilities are because I'll sound like a hillbilly trying to recite Shakespeare by memory if I say it. Thanks!
    [I]*Searches the Internet for the Andy Griffith routine where he "tells" Romeo and Juliet...*[/I

EDIT: huh, whuddaya know?.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by Lomshek View Post
    I've been thinking I should just go ahead and send you my (the wife's actually) oldest, worst M&P 9 to do your experimenting on. Is that something you'd still be up for?.....
    That poses an interesting question: Bill, can you weld a MIM part?
    Dave Berryhill

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Berryhill View Post
    That poses an interesting question: Bill, can you weld a MIM part?
    Sure. Done it a few times.

User Tag List