Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Side-Stepping When Firing, Reloading, etc.: valid tactic?

Quote Originally Posted by 1slow View Post
    Then the shooter shoots you with brown bullet technique. Similar to brown blade technique.
    Sounds pretty BA. What is it????
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Brown blade technique: knife stab in perineum, rectum, etc.... and rip out. Similar to the Taint stab.
    A version was taught about WW2 as the jack knife technique with a non locking folder held edge up. From the front of your attacker stab to rectum rip up through abdominal wall.

Brown bullet technique, same path bullet rather than blade.

That's just dick lol

Brown blade technique: knife stab in perineum, rectum, etc.... and rip out. Similar to the Taint stab.
    A version was taught about WW2 as the jack knife technique with a non locking folder held edge up. From the front of your attacker stab to rectum rip up through abdominal wall.

If you would have just said "You DON'T want to know", I would have taken your word for it.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

That's a very literal "butt hurt".

Taint anything I ever want to experience.

Better to give than receive, lol....

I am a proponent of movement and yes for a specific reason. To digress for a second, many people often say that stance is not quite important in that you will be moving in an actual fight anyway and that you will never have a good stance. MMA, boxers, martial artists, football players, baseball players, pro atheletes, etc, etc, all practice good stances and footwork that leads them into dynamic yet controlled movements which generally leads to incredible platform stability throughout the movement and then when coming to a sudden stop their trained movements “lands” them in a very good squared and stable platform from which to react or continue movement from there. Therefore learning a good stance or shooting platform is important.

The next addition to the stance topic arrives us at this topic of movement. By movement I mean by learning good footwork that leads to explosive and dynamic movement. It is no secret that trained footwork beats the untrained every day of the week. Shooting should be no different. So now that we are deep in the movement topic, I wholeheartedly agree that movement needs to fit a defined purpose and the student needs to be trained and immersed within in scenarios that go outside of the flat range in which the movement has applicable context.

I teach movement. I like to impress upon those I teach that movement can give 3 good net effects, either singular or in combination. 1 – The movement should be towards potential hard cover if available and advantageous to the given situation faced. 2 – The movement is used in a time when milliseconds are needed to help getting us "caught up" from being behind the "curve" and the movement can help us get to cover or get our weapon into the fight. The whole moving target and getting into the opponents “Loop” and buying yourself those fractions of a second is real. 3 – Learning to get your feet uprooted in order to keep the blood flowing and keep your “world” opened up. You will see many individuals “grow roots” and their world “tunnel in”, which is more often than not extremely detrimental to their own success. So movement helps us here also when advantageous to do so.

As mentioned movement needs context. Dynamic and explosive footwork should be trained. Flat range dancing needs other drills incorporated to give the movement real life context. Repetition of multiple scenarios to give the student a better practical understanding of how / when to apply the movement. There are good flat range drills that can be utilized but you often don't seem them utilized perhaps due to time or space constraints.

I also heavily teach “force on force” or “reality based training” and movement is key in appropriate situations. As mentioned by John Hearne, movement is best in certain situations within certain distances, with generally lesser trained / experienced adversaries. However it is still a plus even against skilled adversaries but to just lesser degrees. In reality most LE or average civilian situations will be against lesser trained persons, if you stay on top of your game, but can still garner a good net effect even on a trained individual when applied effectively. Better than just standing still in many instances.

I will also add that I have had more than one former student use the technique with great success. The latest was where the Officer was holstered, encountered the armed individual within around 7-8 yards muzzle pointed at him. He used the dynamic movement towards a position of cover. Suspect fired multiple rounds, missing him. The movement allowed the Officer the time to draw his weapon get it into the fight and return fire. He was successful. I am not attempting to pigeon hole every scenario into this one case, but it was clearly effective in this situation as the perps intent was to ambush.

I also find it interesting, but not surprising that some agencies might take multiple gunfight Officers and give them desk type jobs. My agency has not done that, at least not yet and those with live fire experience within my unit are often looked upon to be placed in critical roles over the younger or lesser experienced guys.

Outstanding post. Also, glad to see that you are keeping your "Aces" working and not letting brass move them.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    One of my mentors said that tactics are sort of universal and there is not much difference in what happens in a room, or a tank battle. It is all about out maneuvering and out-thinking your opponent based on terrain and the strengths and weaknesses of the opposing forces. There will be times when holding position is best, times when advancing is a good thing, times when retreat and withdrawal makes sense, times when a flanking maneuver wins the day, and times when offsetting a line of attack is valid. The key is to know what to use and when. It is what makes some guys a Gen. Guderian, and some General Flavigny. It is why I believe that you should practice not only shooting stationary, but also on the move in multiple directions, in multiple degrees of control, and multiple responses to attacks instead of simply moving off line every single time you draw.
    +1
    As always

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Williams View Post
    I was taught to side step by Farnam. Did it in an SDave class. He's not a fan. Putting it mildly.
    Yes, that amonst other things in that class were hilarious.

User Tag List