WheelerPro ToolsKits any good?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/s/ref=is...fix=Wheeler+ar

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    AKA: SkyLine1

Quote Originally Posted by SkyLine1 View Post
    WheelerPro ToolsKits any good?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/s/ref=is...fix=Wheeler+ar

Yeah, no. That kit would be an utter waste of money. Dental pics and toothbrushes for building an AR? Really? Shame on Wheeler for selling that as a "professional armorer's kit."

Shop at Brownells for AR tools. Are you building upper, lower, or both? Lower, you'll need some roll pin punches, a castle nut wrench, and a center/staking punch. The upper is a little more involved depending on exactly what parts you're using.

Upper and lower, I already have roll pin punches. Trying to accumulate the right tools and not regret that I didn't.

Site Supporter
    Bare minimum IMHO:
    Barrel nut wrench.
    Vise blocks
    Castle nut wrench

Things that make life much easier:
    Gas tube roll pin punch
    Roll pin starter punches
    pivot pin tool

Above assumes you already have basic automotive shop tools, torque wrench, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyLine1 View Post
    Upper and lower, I already have roll pin punches. Trying to accumulate the right tools and not regret that I didn't.
    Geissele Reaction Rod, one of the most useful tools you'll buy, and works perfectly for barrel nuts and muzzle devices.
    A barrel nut wrench. I use and prefer the one PRI makes. If you're installing rails, many of them will have their own nut and corresponding wrench.
    Hammerheadrifletool.com - great castle nut wrench as well as flashhider wrench...thin enough not to mar the crush washer as it crushes.
    The special bolt catch roll pin punch Brownells makes is very useful as is a front takedown pin installation tool.
    A strap wrench and a torque wrench are good to have, but might fall under general mechanics tools like screw drivers and a hammer.

I'll second the recommendation for the reaction rod.

Other stuff:
    * a solidly mounted swiveling-base bench vise
    * gorilla tape to protect receiver when driving in pins
    * a piece of shim stock (or an automotive shim-measurement tool) is tremendously useful when installing the front takedown pin: you use the shim to hold the detent/spring in place while you install the pin.
    * this: Weaver Deluxe Gunsmith Tool Kit http://amzn.com/B004NC188O

If you get a barrel with a pinned gas block and want to switch it out for a different gas block, buy a sacrificial steel punch to drive out the pins. I generally scrap the punch after each job like that. Alternatively, get a friend with a hydraulic press to punch out the pins.
    Looking for a gun blog with AARs, gear reviews, and the occasional random tangent written by a hardcore geek? trevoronthetrigger.wordpress.com/
    Latest post: The Rogers Shooting School Experience (15 Jul 2014)

Your comment about the gas block pin punch is interesting to me. I use Starrett brand punches and have never bent or broken one. Starrett also makes one that looks like a large nail set that is concave on the tip designed specially for removing FSB taper pins.

When I built my AR, the most useful tool was the Internet. Specifically, the eponymous forum.

Yeah, that make me sound like an idiot, but, seriously, ARFCOM has a lot of useful tutorials, videos, and step-by-step guides. Washington had the most active Hometown Forum at the time -- in your face, Texas! -- so there was also a lot of "Who has this tool that I can borrow?", to avoid spending $$$ on tools you'd only use once. (The WAHTF has since fallen prey to the drama llama, and the most active members have formed their own forum. I rarely visit ARFCOM anymore...)
    YMMV.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Site Supporter
    I teach the Colt AR Armorer's Course all over the country. You likely have most of the tools you'll need, but here's some suggestions for you along with Brownell's parts numbers:

Solid pin punches (Starrett suggested) 1/16, 3/32, 5/64, 1/8, 1/4
    Roll pin punches
    Roll pin holders (small and medium sizes)
    Brownell's bolt catch punch 080-216-012
    Prick punch and center punch (to stake receiver extension nut)
    Front pivot pin installation tool (you'll never use ANYTHING else!) 100-003-308
    8 or 12 oz ball pein hammer
    Ejector removal/installation tool 988-000-003
    Ejection port dust cover snap ring tool 100-013-629
    Hammerhead tool - www.hammerheadrifletool.com
    Upper and lower receiver block sets
    Barrel wrench
    Front sight tool
    Front Sight Base block
    Torque wrench
    1/2 drive extension handle
    Gauges: headspace, firing pin protrusion and barrel straightness

This is a list that I threw together on the fly. Feel free to PM me if you like and I'll be glad to help you out.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Outstanding Mr. Dobbs!

I'll start accumulating tools from your list.

I appreciate your help and direction.

AKA: SkyLine1

User Tag List