Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Is there such thing as "Too Many Guns?"

Right now, between my wife and I we own around a dozen guns. Some fill our defensive purposes, some could be used to put food in the freezer if the grocery store ran out, and some could fill either role if need by. Right now, our basic firearm needs are met but that doesn't mean we're done acquiring guns. I want an identical Sig Pro to compliment my carry gun as a dry fire/training gun.

I also have a few sentimental guns that my dad gave me.

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    Right now, between my wife and I we own around a dozen guns. Some fill our defensive purposes, some could be used to put food in the freezer if the grocery store ran out, and some could fill either role if need by. Right now, our basic firearm needs are met but that doesn't mean we're done acquiring guns. I want an identical Sig Pro to compliment my carry gun as a dry fire/training gun.

I also have a few sentimental guns that my dad gave me.
    My dad died January 7. He had a safe chock full of guns that his brothers and his father had. 2 Japanese rifles from WW II, an 1897 Winchester, and his dads double barrell with cocking hammers. There are several others but they hold a special place.

Too many guns? Never.
    Last edited by KeeFus; 03-23-2014 at 08:00 PM.

When I hit the Mega Millions jackpot I'll test the too many guns theory. I think it's a myth. Too many guns is like the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow....there is always another rainbow/gun to chase.

I could care less how many guns someone owns. Whatever makes them happy.

I will say that once I seriously decided to learn how to shoot, the amount of guns in my safe has reduced proportionately to the amount of money I am spending on ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    Case example- an NCO I knew PCSd with an entire Uhaul trailer of guns. After telling me his story of checking in each of them at the Security Forces armory for registration (local squadron policy was all members had to register privately owned weapons even if they lived off base)
    At which point I would be telling the squadron to go &%# themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by KeeFus View Post
    This^^^^. My wife bought some type of Doonie Bourke purse today. Therefore, I dont feel bad when I buy what I want. I retire in just under 7 years and my retirement purchase is Going to be a Wilson CQB Elite. Wonder if she'll be upset when I blow just over $3000.00?
    Of COURSE she will!

It's amazing; the wife has closets full of shoes and purses that were absolutely essential expenditures, yet now are just 'old things', unable to be worn, without value. I, however, have some firearms, most of them worth significantly more than what I paid for them, and yet, damn fool wastes of money nonetheless. It's just a fact of nature.

As Schrodinger's quantum theory holds, women, and therefore nature, are unknowable.
    Last edited by Charlie Foxtrot; 03-23-2014 at 09:20 PM.

Unlike many things (like shoes, clothes, purses and other things that waste valuable gun and ammunition storage space), guns are usually a solid rainy day (or end of days) investment. In my case also a tax right off. I have divided stuff into "tools" that are often now polymer based things that require very little attention. Then I have things with souls that are pride of ownership and are special. In all cases, they are a solid 401K for and inheritance for my kid. Overall, no there is no such thing as too many, and it is fun when you find things in the safe and you have no idea or memory of where they came from.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    Unlike many things (like shoes, clothes, purses and other things that waste valuable gun and ammunition storage space), guns are usually a solid rainy day (or end of days) investment. In my case also a tax right off. I have divided stuff into "tools" that are often now polymer based things that require very little attention. Then I have things with souls that are pride of ownership and are special. In all cases, they are a solid 401K for and inheritance for my kid. Overall, no there is no such thing as too many, and it is fun when you find things in the safes and you have no idea or memory of where they came from.
    FIFY

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    Unlike many things (like shoes, clothes, purses and other things that waste valuable gun and ammunition storage space), guns are usually a solid rainy day (or end of days) investment. In my case also a tax right off. I have divided stuff into "tools" that are often now polymer based things that require very little attention. Then I have things with souls that are pride of ownership and are special. In all cases, they are a solid 401K for and inheritance for my kid. Overall, no there is no such thing as too many, and it is fun when you find things in the safe and you have no idea or memory of where they came from.
    Looks at my receipts... Bought more shoes last year than guns.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Doesn't really apply to this question.

I own dozens of guns (exact number varies depending on if you count guns at gunsmiths or not).

Except for competition, where I bring the back up gun or need two different types of guns (like for NRA AP if I have to do a shoot off), I only take one gun to the range at a time. And in a given year, only two guns get any real round count.

The other guns just rather dust, and occasionally go to the range. For me they are mostly old competition guns, that are worn to the point that their resale value is shot.

User Tag List