Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The striker trigger press, Glock or Otherwise

Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post
    When I had my p30 LEM, a hardcore revolver guy came to my both and asked to shoot it. There was zero adjustment time for him and he made my groups look embarrassing.
    Learning to shoot a DA revolver is probably the best preparation for shooting anything.

Trying to stage a Glock trigger is a sure way, For Me, to increase my chances of snatching the trigger. For best results, my finger never stops moving, and I'll reset during recoil. Using the reset, instead of coming all the way off the trigger, is how I shoot Glocks the best. Once I start the press, it doesn't stop. How fast I press depends on the difficulty of the shot.

Ken

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    Learning to shoot a DA revolver is probably the best preparation for shooting anything.

Trying to stage a Glock trigger is a sure way, For Me, to increase my chances of snatching the trigger. For best results, my finger never stops moving, and I'll reset during recoil. Using the reset, instead of coming all the way off the trigger, is how I shoot Glocks the best. Once I start the press, it doesn't stop. How fast I press depends on the difficulty of the shot.

Ken
    Pretty much the same here. I try to roll through the break. For me though, rolling the trigger is a function of the trigger finger rather than the trigger. Having the finger moving smoothly/evently and without interruption for me, is the key to not disturbing the sights. I pull the finger with varying degrees of strength depending on the weight of the trigger, but the key is that from point A to point B, the trigger must move at the same speed. I become a much better shooter when I started shooting a smith model 64 for group size in DA only.

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    With a true DA gun like a wheelgun, I just press the trigger to the rear with the same rate of speed throughout the trigger pull. If I'm shooting a really hard target I'll press it slower than if I'm shooting a 4 yard burner target. With a striker fired gun, I do pretty much the same thing - just drive it straight back to the rear as fast as possible without disturbing the sights. I don't ever want to "stop" my finger, I just want it to move straight through the trigger pull unless the loud noise happens.
    +1

Being a long time wheelgunner, doing anything other than rolling all the way through to the break at a steady pace is just weird and wrong to me.

The more I try to "stage" a trigger (unless we're talking a real two-stage trigger in a rifle) the worse I snatch the shot low and left. So I don't.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    Everyone keeps telling me that, but I somehow I still snatch the crap out of my 1911 trigger or a Glock, when I can shoot acceptable groups all day DA on my revolver. Somehow the sudden increased resistance at the break always "surprises" me in a bad way - ie, I jolt the trigger to get through it.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ford.304 View Post
    Everyone keeps telling me that, but I somehow I still snatch the crap out of my 1911 trigger or a Glock, when I can shoot acceptable groups all day DA on my revolver. Somehow the sudden increased resistance at the break always "surprises" me in a bad way - ie, I jolt the trigger to get through it.
    Try this...grip very hard with the support hand and not as hard with the shooting hand. Don't torque the trigger finger in any way and focus on moving it straight back. Hope this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    Based on these comments out of the DA/SA thread, assuming I'm interpreting "staging the trigger" correctly, I was wondering if all of you shoot a striker pistol the way I do. I take up the slack as my sights are getting where I want them. Then, once there, I press through the break. Would this be considered "staging the trigger?" Depending on the speed I'm shooting, I usually shoot follow-up shots from the reset. For instance, on my last 10/10/10 drill earlier this week, I distinctly remember the "click" of the reset prior to breaking each shot. Now, a 10/10/10 isn't necessarily all that fast, but I shot it from concealment and finished the drill in 8.5 sec, so if you figure a 1.5-2 sec draw time, that means 10 rounds fired in 6.5-7 seconds. Still not blazing fast, but at somewhat of an accelerated pace.

I suppose the other way to run a striker trigger would be to begin with the trigger fully extended, not stop at the "wall" and just press the whole thing through. I see pros and cons to both ways:

Pros to staging:
    Shorter overall trigger pull = less change of "milking", especially on a Glock where grip size/trigger reach can be an issue.

Pros to fully-extended press:
    The "break" is more of a surprise, so theoretically less of a chance to anticipate/snatch/jerk the shot.
    What was your score on the 10/10/10? Finishing it in 5 seconds versus finishing it in 9.9 seconds doesn't matter, the total score is what matters.

Shooting from reset is a nasty habit. Learn to reset the trigger during recoil.

I basically stage the trigger. From the ready I take all the slack out of the trigger and arrive at "the wall". Once I get my sight picture I break the shot. I've tried the trigger roll on Glocks and LEM, can't seem to get the hang of it. A real DA, sure. But striker fired guns and LEM I treat as a SAO with some slack.

Quote Originally Posted by Trajan View Post
    What was your score on the 10/10/10? Finishing it in 5 seconds versus finishing it in 9.9 seconds doesn't matter, the total score is what matters.

Shooting from reset is a nasty habit. Learn to reset the trigger during recoil.

I basically stage the trigger. From the ready I take all the slack out of the trigger and arrive at "the wall". Once I get my sight picture I break the shot. I've tried the trigger roll on Glocks and LEM, can't seem to get the hang of it. A real DA, sure. But striker fired guns and LEM I treat as a SAO with some slack.
    I scored 95 on that run:

Untitled by ASH556, on Flickr

The last time I shot (Saturday) I tried a rolling break instead of shooting from the wall and found that I did better. I would get some bad trigger freeze sometimes before where it seemed like I just couldn't get the trigger to break. Pulling all the way through instead of stopping at the wall eliminated that.

Seems that I've been shooting my Glock's wrong for the past couple of years. I always wondered why I had the tendency to snatch the trigger so much or flinch and anticipate it. Treating my Glock like my revo's has drastically changed my shooting. Makes me interested to try the NY1 spring with my 3.5# connector to see how it feels. I'll definitely be practicing with my revo's much more in the coming months.

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    I scored 95 on that run:

The last time I shot (Saturday) I tried a rolling break instead of shooting from the wall and found that I did better. I would get some bad trigger freeze sometimes before where it seemed like I just couldn't get the trigger to break. Pulling all the way through instead of stopping at the wall eliminated that.
    Assuming that was cold, very good.

What were your score differences between staging vs rolling?

Quote Originally Posted by Trajan View Post
    Assuming that was cold, very good.

What were your score differences between staging vs rolling?
    Thanks, it's one of my better runs. I started shooting the 10/10/10 about 3 weeks ago and my best so far is a 96. Cold runs are usually high 80's, low 90's. I'll shoot it up to, but no more than 3 times per practice session. The third run usually the best. I haven't tried it yet with the rolling trigger press. I spent most of my time/ammo shooting Dot Torture on Saturday and found my shooting to be much more consistent with the rolling press vs staging. Next range session will probably be Friday lunch and I'll run the 10/10/10 then.

Last edited by ASH556; 03-25-2014 at 05:32 PM.

User Tag List