Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The striker trigger press, Glock or Otherwise

Site Supporter
    I thought about trying out the NY1, but frankly, every time I've put something in my Glock, it has rejected the idea. Going down that road of modifying my stuff was a black hole of wasted money and just never worked for me with anything besides the sights. For these reasons and more, I've decided modification is strictly a 1911 thing.

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    Thanks, it's one of my better runs. I started shooting the 10/10/10 about 3 weeks ago and my best so far is a 96. Cold runs are usually high 80's, low 90's. I'll shoot it up to, but no more than 3 times per practice session. The third run usually the best. I haven't tried it yet with the rolling trigger press. I spent most of my time/ammo shooting Dot Torture on Saturday and found my shooting to be much more consistent with the rolling press vs staging. Next range session will probably be Friday lunch and I'll run the 10/10/10 then.
    I'll have to play with it again and see what happens. My problem with rolling Glocks or LEM triggers is the fact that there is very light take up, and then the wall. When I roll through it I can't keep the sights perfectly still like I can using it like a SAO as your finger hits two different tensions, which require different trigger pressures. It ends up turning into a "controlled slap" rather than a nice smooth press. Could just be a preference thing, don't know. I reset during recoil, but the reset is to the wall or just before it.

10/10/10 should only be shot cold. Gaming it (doing it over and over) doesn't really tell you anything. IIRC the test was developed to measure cold performance on accuracy, and consistency (shots should be in a solid rhythm). Even high 80's low 90's isn't too bad, especially considering you just recently switched to G-locks. For the longest time I was stuck at the 90-92 range (7 days cold). I think it's a good test to measure your performance over time. Pay attention to your rhythm and split consistency. I think if you can get your shots on a solid rhythm you'll see your score go up cold.

Quote Originally Posted by Trajan View Post
    I'll have to play with it again and see what happens. My problem with rolling Glocks or LEM triggers is the fact that there is very light take up, and then the wall. When I roll through it I can't keep the sights perfectly still like I can using it like a SAO as your finger hits two different tensions, which require different trigger pressures. It ends up turning into a "controlled slap" rather than a nice smooth press.
    Trajan, if you own a LEM gun personally, you owe it to yourself to try the TLG/v4 spring setup.

I'll put it this way: my favorite USP has had three distinct personalities in the last 12 months:
    * v1 TDA that it came with lo these many years ago
    * standard LEM as it comes from the conversion kit, complete with FPB speedbump ("wall")
    * TLG type LEM with no perceptible wall

My new P30 got converted to TLG LEM very soon after I got it, and it has no perceptible wall or speedbump.
    Looking for a gun blog with AARs, gear reviews, and the occasional random tangent written by a hardcore geek? trevoronthetrigger.wordpress.com/
    Latest post: The Rogers Shooting School Experience (15 Jul 2014)

Quote Originally Posted by TheTrevor View Post
    Trajan, if you own a LEM gun personally, you owe it to yourself to try the TLG/v4 spring setup.

I'll put it this way: my favorite USP has had three distinct personalities in the last 12 months:
    * v1 TDA that it came with lo these many years ago
    * standard LEM as it comes from the conversion kit, complete with FPB speedbump ("wall")
    * TLG type LEM with no perceptible wall

My new P30 got converted to TLG LEM very soon after I got it, and it has no perceptible wall or speedbump.
    No, I only own Glocks. Buddy of mine has a whole bunch of H&Ks. He's on here. I seem to recall him mentioning something about the TLG/V4/ heavy TRS set up, but I don't think I've shot them in that configuration.

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    I thought about trying out the NY1, but frankly, every time I've put something in my Glock, it has rejected the idea.
    In what way? Lots of folks have gone to the NY1 spring/minus connector as an "insurance policy"... given that many of us have seen and/or know about enough of those tiny OEM "regular" trigger springs breaking to be mildly concerned. A much more positive reset is an added bonus, as well.

I do have an early, first-run AA .22 conversion kit for a G19 that simply will NOT work with the flat plastic trigger spring. I cannot figure out why (other than it is not picking up the striker leg), and no one at Advantage Arms seems to know either. I also have a later example of this kit, purchased perhaps 5-6 years ago, that works fine with the NY1 combo.

Yes, the press is definitely harder. To my mind, that is an additional safety fudge factor, like the long pre-load on the LEM, if your ingrained keep-the-finger-off-the-trigger-until-time-to-shoot training gets over-ridden under stress.

Anyway... if you're using a Glock for your EDC, and have another one for practice/etc., give the NY1/minus connector combo a try. Its inexpensive and quickly installed/removed.

You might just like it.

I'll have to play with it again and see what happens. My problem with rolling Glocks or LEM triggers is the fact that there is very light take up, and then the wall. When I roll through it I can't keep the sights perfectly still like I can using it like a SAO as your finger hits two different tensions, which require different trigger pressures. It ends up turning into a "controlled slap" rather than a nice smooth press. Could just be a preference thing, don't know. I reset during recoil, but the reset is to the wall or just before it.

10/10/10 should only be shot cold. Gaming it (doing it over and over) doesn't really tell you anything. IIRC the test was developed to measure cold performance on accuracy, and consistency (shots should be in a solid rhythm). Even high 80's low 90's isn't too bad, especially considering you just recently switched to G-locks. For the longest time I was stuck at the 90-92 range (7 days cold). I think it's a good test to measure your performance over time. Pay attention to your rhythm and split consistency. I think if you can get your shots on a solid rhythm you'll see your score go up cold.

What I'm going to call my "cold" 10/10/10 run today (actually my 2nd run, but as I'm, for some reason, insisting on doing these from concealment; I fumbled the first draw and the 10 sec part time beeped about 5 rounds into the course of fire, so I started over). I score it as a 92. Not bad cold, I guess. Rolling trigger press for everything. I seem to be much more consistent with it. The rounds that are out are probably more recoil managment/sight alignment issues, not trigger press since they're pretty good left-right:

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    What I'm going to call my "cold" 10/10/10 run today (actually my 2nd run, but as I'm, for some reason, insisting on doing these from concealment; I fumbled the first draw and the 10 sec part time beeped about 5 rounds into the course of fire, so I started over). I score it as a 92. Not bad cold, I guess. Rolling trigger press for everything. I seem to be much more consistent with it. The rounds that are out are probably more recoil managment/sight alignment issues, not trigger press since they're pretty good left-right:
    I'm reading that as a 90 or 91 (10 ring round is REALLY close), but good job man.

"Big boy" version is done from concealment. The only way to run it.

Shooting high left is common with G-locks. I don't think it really indicates anything on your target as most of them are where they need to be. If they were all high left I would say you were pushing the gun.

Unrelated: Get the Vickers extended mag release. Trust me on this. Throw in the slide release if you use them. Even if you don't, it can help clear malfunctions.

Site Supporter

10/10/10 should only be shot cold. Gaming it (doing it over and over) doesn't really tell you anything.
    Source?

I ask, because at a recent class with Ken Hackathorn, I don't recall him mentioning anything about it needing to be shot cold. OTOH, I do recall him saying that if he could only practice one drill, that would be it. And I'm fairly sure that when he said "practice", he meant shooting it more than once.

If you choose to record only your cold score, that's fine, but I don't necessarily see how practice tracking your sights and pressing the trigger constitutes "gaming."

User Tag List