Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Scope Mount Recommendation for Colt 6920 and Leupold 1.5-5

Quote Originally Posted by Rack View Post
    Trying to decide on a scope option for a 6920 and am not sure what mount is best. Anyone have some recommendations?

I'm also not sure which Leupold scope in the 1.5-5x range (+ or -). I've seen various models, so if anyone has advise on that, I would appreciate it.

Thanks.
    Depends on your budget. The Mk 6 1-6 is supposed to be the bomb. It's also about $2K plus mount. Below that, again staying with Leupold, you're into the VX-6 multigun, then VXR-Patrol, both using the Firedot reticle. They're about $950 and $550 respectively. You mention the 1.5-5, which would be the Mark 4 scope. However, having previously owned that scope I would advise against it. I had the illuminated SPR reticle model and found it to be a VERY poor compromise. Not fast enough nor precise enough. Truly the worst of both worlds.

If you're willing to look outside the Leupold brand, the Nightforce 1-4 FC-2 is VERY good as is the Swarovski 1-6. Lots of guys like the Vortex 1-6 also, but it's VERY heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    Depends on your budget. The Mk 6 1-6 is supposed to be the bomb. It's also about $2K plus mount. Below that, again staying with Leupold, you're into the VX-6 multigun, then VXR-Patrol, both using the Firedot reticle. They're about $950 and $550 respectively. You mention the 1.5-5, which would be the Mark 4 scope. However, having previously owned that scope I would advise against it. I had the illuminated SPR reticle model and found it to be a VERY poor compromise. Not fast enough nor precise enough. Truly the worst of both worlds.

If you're willing to look outside the Leupold brand, the Nightforce 1-4 FC-2 is VERY good as is the Swarovski 1-6. Lots of guys like the Vortex 1-6 also, but it's VERY heavy.
    Mostly agree.

1.5-5x Mk4 is ok, but I wouldn't put it on a GP AR.

I have been using the original VX-6, and a Vortex 1-6, and both have their pro's and cons, and advantage over the other.

Never have been a fan of 1-4, other than the 5 minutes I liked the S&B Short Dot as a proof of concept type variable optic. Not enough glass to benefit from the high end of the magnification, and not fast enough on the low end to justify the weight and bulk.

If going to a variable, my requirement is true 1x on the low end, illuminated center dot (not the entire dang thing), and at least 6x on the top end.

Still, it is hard to go wrong with an AimPoint on a GP AR15.

I have had good luck with Bobro, in additional to the Larue mounts mentioned. A Larue is usually easier to track down.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post
    Still, it is hard to go wrong with an AimPoint on a GP AR15.
    Too true! I've tried and spent waaaay too much money on AR optics only to find that the (relatively) cheap Aimpoint is my favorite:

Untitled by ASH556, on Flickr

Beyond that, I've found it difficult to find the breaking point with magnification. 4X isn't really that much magnification. It's almost like an Aimpoint, and if you need magnification, then grab something like a Nighforce 2.5-10 with an offset dot. The size/weight/performance tradeoff makes it difficult to argue with:

Untitled by ASH556, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Rosco Benson View Post
    I might try one of those. Anyone that has one, what scope do you have in it?

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Warne, Burris, Leupold, ect. There's plenty of options.
    No, no and no

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    No, no and no
    Any specific reason?

While not the expensive sexy name-brands, they work. They hold zero. I'm not sure what else they're suppose to do, and in shooting I've never had a problem rear itself that told me why they're a bad choice.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

I run a Larue mount with my 1.5-5 Mk4, M2...really like it (the mount), and it isn't crazy expensive anyway. I will say that the SPR Reticle leaves a lot to be desired, but I got a hell of a deal on it, so I keep my whining to a minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    If anyone knows of a quality extended-eye-relief scope mount without levers/QD, I'd love to have one.
    Leupold MK6/8 mount. However, I had one, and ended up returning it, because I decided to stick with QD levers. Also, while this may be subjective, the cross bars on the mount were quite a bit thinner than the ones in one piece badger mount.
    Badger also offers extended eye relieve mounts. I used their mount in VTAC class and found it to be good to go, although I had to run my stock (EMOD) around position 4 (VLTOR tube) in order to get proper eye relief.

This thread has given some things to think about. I believe I'm going to switch directions and get an Aimpoint Pro, plus a higher magnification scope. Something along the lines of a 2.5-10 range. I'll use a QD mount, probably the Bobro.

User Tag List