Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 10mm gel tests: Buffalo Bore 155 gr TAC-XP & 195 gr Mihec cast shallow hollow point

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    The 10 has a much wider selection of FMJ/penetrator type loads.
    Why is that ? Do you mean bullets heavier than the 200gr.

My P228 like the 200gr XTP HP. But I haven't gone any heavier than that.

BTW I love shooting lead. Some of my best groups in my life was shot with lead bullets. 38/357,9mm,45ACP

I loaded up some SWC for my Sig P229 and they wouldn't feed at all. Ever since then I gave up on using lead in my P29 40cal

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Wiggin View Post
    The 10mm should also push a solid deeper than the .40 S&W. In my neck of the woods, the biggest critters are relatively small black bears so I'm more interested in a load that will offer a little expansion (for humans, mountain lions, etc.) while still penetrating 20" or more. So far, the 200 gr XTP is close and the 195 gr Mihec in this test is close too.
    I notice I bare gel testing the slower bullet penetrates further
    like 124gr vs 124+P and so on.

Faster can cause less penetration!

Now I haven't seen any solid or ball testing.

10MM penetrates further but I bet its not buy much, and with extra recoil making second shot slower on fast charging bear.

What is the min of penetration needed for brown/white bear ? 24inches??

BTW I wonder??
    Since the 9mm is smaller in Dia .355 I bet the hard cast and FMJ will penetrate just as much as the 40S&W and 10MM

Jacketed hollow point bullets sometimes penetrate less at higher velocity. I presume that is because they open wider and earlier, therefore slowing more quickly. Solids penetrate more deeply the faster they go. 10mm can push heavier bullets faster than .40 S&W and therefore can produce deeper penetration. I don't know exactly how much deeper but I think an extra 20% velocity within a given weight is significant.

Maybe Doc can give us an idea of how much velocity or bullet weight influences penetration.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Wiggin View Post
    Jacketed hollow point bullets sometimes penetrate less at higher velocity. I presume that is because they open wider and earlier, therefore slowing more quickly. Solids penetrate more deeply the faster they go. 10mm can push heavier bullets faster than .40 S&W and therefore can produce deeper penetration. I don't know exactly how much deeper but I think an extra 20% velocity within a given weight is significant.

Maybe Doc can give us an idea of how much velocity or bullet weight influences penetration.
    Does the 10mm penetrate more than the 9mm when using non expanding bullets. I would think the Dia(.355 vs .400) would play a role?

love to hear from the Doc concerning max pentetration using non expanding bullets / ball /hard lead. 9mm vs 40/10mm

Many times the 9mm FMJ RN loads, such as the standard NATO ball ammo, with yaw a 180 and end up base forward. The yaw reduces total penetration quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Does the 10mm penetrate more than the 9mm when using non expanding bullets. I would think the Dia(.355 vs .400) would play a role?

love to hear from the Doc concerning max pentetration using non expanding bullets / ball /hard lead. 9mm vs 40/10mm
    The higher sectional density for a similar weight bullet would theoretically lend greater penetration but the 10mm can launch bullets much heavier and at faster speeds. It's also worth noting that penetration is only part of the story. A wide, flat meplat that cuts a larger wound channel is also a desirable trait for a hunting or animal defense bullet.

User Tag List