Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Learning DA/SA

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Don't tell everyone, but a good DA/SA trigger is easy to shoot well. Far easier than any striker trigger I have shot.
    Define "Good"

I shoot better DA/SA any day over a striker, especially with a reduced first DA pull, short type reset trigger which is probably the popularity of the CZ etc... style guns. Out of the box, most are 10 plus DA

Curious, based on your recent experience with CZ, if you could set trigger criteria for a gun designer, what would you want 1.) DA pull weight set at out of the box and 2.) be capable of achieving with some tuning such as hammer spring, etc?

Let's assume other factors are are moot including reliability on the out of the box do only gun for carry or competition say a new brand X type Glock 34 Tactical/Practical wannabe in DA/SA.

I am not smart enough to be able to objectively define what a good trigger is/should be. I sure know one when I shoot it a few rounds, though.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by LeonardRockstein View Post

If you don't shoot DA/SA and think it is a relic of the cold war or something like that, then I want to know what you think about cars with a manual transmission and people who cannot drive them.
    I don't shoot da/sa because I particularly enjouy pulling 10 lbs trigger, especially one handed, or because I want to feel omnipotent with any kind of gun out there. I shoot it because perceived benefts appear to outweigh perceived negatives to me.

Same attitude to people's skill with a manual. It ain't a rocket surgery, if someone decided he needed or wanted it, he/she would get it learned. My son doesn't know how to drive manual, I am not thinking less of him. We never even had a car with one since he was three.
    As a side note, I was trading my car over a year ago, and got an itch to go with a stick shift. I test drove one, and it didn't do much for me. Wanna do shifting, get a bike.

I mean not everyone needs to shoot a DA/SA or drive a manual, but when you want to drive a kitten sports car instead of a practical station wagon and have people see you as a skilled driver, you at least need to know how to drive a manual.
    I don't particularly care if people see me drive a manual transmission race car, or shoot a DA/SA pistol.............. If I am shooting a particular type of gun for someone else to see me shoot it, then for me, it's time to hang up the holsters for good.

Sean speaks the truth. I drive a 6-speed manual because it's an absolute blast... for me. If I really cared what anyone thought of me while doing it, I'd have it in something besides a Mini Cooper S. Same goes for my DAO wheelies, to name another of many examples.

If you're not shooting professionally on someone else's dime, shoot what works for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post
    I don't particularly care if people see me drive a manual transmission race car, or shoot a DA/SA pistol.............. If I am shooting a particular type of gun for someone else to see me shoot it, then for me, it's time to hang up the holsters for good.
    I wasn't trying to say that you should do something to show off, I was really trying to see what the people here would say about comparing the two skills.

Basically this came out of a conversation I had with two friends. One could drive stick and was making fun of the other guy who couldn't for buying an auto car that was slower than its manual equivalent (Dodge). But that same friend literally cannot understand why anyone would shoot something that was not a glock with - connector or a 1911. The guy who could not drive a manual only shoots Beretta 92s, SW revolvers, and Kahrs. After the first friend left the other one and I started talking about guns and basically compared the two skills (DA/SA and manual).

There is also a significant difference between Cannot and Don't want to - I would say that anyone who can shoot a Glock or 1911 can shoot a DA/SA, maybe not as well but there certainly isn't a new skill to learn. Driving a stick, which does SUCK in heavy traffic BTW, is a totally new skill.

I wasn't trying to say that you should do something to show off, I was really trying to see what the people here would say about comparing the two skills.

Basically this came out of a conversation I had with two friends. One could drive stick and was making fun of the other guy who couldn't for buying an auto car that was slower than its manual equivalent (Dodge). But that same friend literally cannot understand why anyone would shoot something that was not a glock with - connector or a 1911. The guy who could not drive a manual only shoots Beretta 92s, SW revolvers, and Kahrs. After the first friend left the other one and I started talking about guns and basically compared the two skills (DA/SA and manual).

Indeed...........

In that context, "whatever blows your hair back". I don't really compare them.

I am a newbie to guns at age 62 and have had a year and quarter with my firearm (Ruger SR40C). I am now looking at what I would consider a more take to war firearm. Top of my list is the FNX-40, Then CZ P07. I can really see an advantage in carrying a more midsized firearm, especially with the option of carrying "cocked And Locked".

Quote Originally Posted by Kennydale View Post
    I am a newbie to guns at age 62 and have had a year and quarter with my firearm (Ruger SR40C). I am now looking at what I would consider a more take to war firearm. Top of my list is the FNX-40, Then CZ P07. I can really see an advantage in carrying a more midsized firearm, especially with the option of carrying "cocked And Locked".
    I might be in the minority but if your carrying a da/sa for duty or concealed they should be carried in da. The cocked and locked thing is fun for range day. But the major advantage of a da/sa gun for carry is the double action first pull. If you want to carry condition 1. Then buy a single action pistol. I think the da/sa is probably the best trigger systems for duty. Trained properly anyone can use them.

User Tag List