Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: P9HST1 question

Quote Originally Posted by Symmetry View Post
    12-18". Coming close is good. 9" is subpar. Plus, 1150fps is not the velocity that you get from either a Glock or Sig 4" barrel. I've tried it in cold and hot weather. 147gr and 124gr+P are much closer to advertised velocities.

Velocity on the box or catalog don't mean a thing. mother nature plays a role, Temp elevation . and of coarse barrel length

Same with reloading and manuals!

In the 80 and 90`s I admit I thought 10inches would be enough. ( came from shooting pigs/deer and such)

I didn't know about the 12-18 until about 12yrs ago when Doc was at AR15.com !

For now the 124 HST will do for HD. Or if I get surgery and my hand heals I go with the 124+P load.

Since my primary pistol has mild recoil (P229 40cal / 180gr ) compared to my P30S 9mm /147gr I may trade the HK in for another Sig but in 9mm(P229R/MK25) and not worry about using 124+P or 147

Really if someone has broken fingers/hand and wants to shoot 124 HST Or if a person with a good hand , that cant find any SD ammo but 124HST.
    I really don't see a problem.

And of coarse there are better loads than the 124 HST. One reason I carry a P229 w/ 180gr HST

Quote Originally Posted by will_1400 View Post
    I snagged 100 rounds of this since it was locally available (alternatives were Hydra-Shoks or Critical Defense both in 115 gr standard pressure flavors), but from now on, I'm ordering my ammo online. Shot accurately enough when accounting for my fairly low skill with a pistol and my M&P9 FS ate them like candy, but I'll definitely be on the lookout for some better ammo in the future.
    I order 2 boxes as well

12-18". Coming close is good. 9" is subpar. Plus, 1150fps is not the velocity that you get from either a Glock or Sig 4" barrel. I've tried it in cold and hot weather. 147gr and 124gr+P are much closer to advertised velocities.
    Btw according to ATK own testing . None of the below loads fully pass ALL of the testing barriers.
    124gr HST
    124gr +P HST
    147gr HST

. . . 1150fps is not the velocity that you get from either a Glock . . .

The muzzle velocities in the table below are from a Gen-2 Glock 19 with the original factory barrel.

Those are pretty nice standard deviation numbers. The small range indicates some very well made ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Molon View Post
    The muzzle velocities in the table below are from a Gen-2 Glock 19 with the original factory barrel.

After seeing the above numbers, I don't feel as though I'm really leaving too much on the table by using the 124 gr HST standard pressure load in my 9mm guns (Hi-Power, G17, G19, G26) when I can't find the +P version in stock anywhere.

Site Supporter
    ^^ why don't those charts ever have a column for momentum? Drives me crazy.

P (momentum) = mass x velocity.
    Seems to me that if one of those choices has a distinctly higher momentum, THAT would be a critical factor in ammo selection, combined with reliability of expansion (transfer of energy to target) and wound ballistics (sufficient penetration before transferring momentum).

Example: What's the difference in momentum between the HST 124gr@1165fps and the 147g@1018?
    Just because it's going faster or slower doesn't tell me whether the round has more/less momentum.
    Last edited by RoyGBiv; 09-25-2014 at 03:42 PM.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    ^^ why don't those charts ever have a column for momentum? Drives me crazy.

P (momentum) = mass x velocity.
    Seems to me that if one of those choices has a distinctly higher momentum, THAT would be a critical factor in ammo selection, combined with reliability of expansion (transfer of energy to target) and wound ballistics (sufficient penetration before transferring momentum).

Example: What's the difference in momentum between the HST 124gr@1165fps and the 147g@1018?
    Just because it's going faster or slower doesn't tell me whether the round has more/less momentum.

"As clearly illustrated in the relevant scientific literature over the past 20 years,
    kinetic energy or momentum transfer from a projectile to tissue is not a wounding mechanism."

Dr. G.K. Roberts

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Molon View Post
    "As clearly illustrated in the relevant scientific literature over the past 20 years,
    kinetic energy or momentum transfer from a projectile to tissue is not a wounding mechanism."

Dr. G.K. Roberts...
    The quote is relevant but slightly off point. Slightly.
    If true........
    Then what's the point of reporting muzzle velocity?
    What should I be hearing when my brain reads that chart?
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    The quote is relevant but slightly off point. Slightly.
    If true........
    Then what's the point of reporting muzzle velocity?
    What should I be hearing when my brain reads that chart?
    There really isn't one.

Does it penetrate between 12-18in through a variety of barriers?
    Does is expand sufficiently?
    Does it group accurately out of your gun?

End of story as far as I'm concerned.

The only value I can see in measured velocities of a pistol round are seeing how much they change in different barrel lengths and how this affects expansion and penetration. Shootingthebull410's short barrel tests have been pretty enlightening in just how bad a lot of 9mm ammo, even stuff on "the list", does out of a 3 inch barrel.

I've got no problem with the P9HST1, I just like the 147's better and that's what I run. If I couldn't find them or P9HST3, I'd get these though.

User Tag List