Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: 9mm ammo, 147gr Gold Dot vs HST?

I like the Barnes bullet better for short barreled 9mm.
    US Navy Veteran
    1961-1965

Quote Originally Posted by Symmetry View Post
    The bullet is the same. Short barrel uses a faster burning powder to get the pressure high enough for adequate velocity out of a shorter barrel.
    Whats funny I read a article by Speer saying its a different bullet by design. Also stated it had a deeper HP.

I may of read it at the ATK website. I look it up. but no doubt the performance is different.

Quote Originally Posted by Glock17JHP View Post
    I can feel more recoil (and see more flash) with the standard pressure Federal HST 147 grain JHP load compared to the Winchester Ranger 147 grain JHP load. For that reason I prefer the Ranger load, and think I would like the +P version of the HST even less in terms of 'shootability'. I know for many the differences I am describing are not very noticeable, perhaps I am like the Princess and the pea... I guess I will stick with the Ranger RA9T load.
    In my P30S I don't care for the felt recoil of the 147gr loads at all. I think Ranger 147T is loaded under 1000fps. HST147 ATK specs state 1050fps last I knew.

Might try federal tactical 124 gr bonded ! Its a standard pressure load. (Be aware it is listed at a few websites as a 124 +P )

The 124 standard pressure loads in my P30S make for soft shooting and fast recover.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    In my P30S I don't care for the felt recoil of the 147gr loads at all. I think Ranger 147T is loaded under 1000fps. HST147 ATK specs state 1050fps last I knew.

Might try federal tactical 124 gr bonded ! Its a standard pressure load. (Be aware it is listed at a few websites as a 124 +P )

The 124 standard pressure loads in my P30S make for soft shooting and fast recover.
    You might need to consider moving to a different platform. The two things I don't like about the P30 is that the slide release interferes with thumbs forward grip, and it is much more jumpy compared to other pistol designs.

Quote Originally Posted by Symmetry View Post
    You might need to consider moving to a different platform. The two things I don't like about the P30 is that the slide release interferes with thumbs forward grip, and it is much more jumpy compared to other pistol designs.
    You are 100% right!!

My Gut said to buy a P226R in 9mm! But with all the love for the P30 here . I took a chance on it.

BTW
    I've been told the P226R 9mm is softer shooting when compared to the P30 9mm.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Whats funny I read a article by Speer saying its a different bullet by design. Also stated it had a deeper HP.

I may of read it at the ATK website. I look it up. but no doubt the performance is different.
    UPDATE
    I went back to the ATK website and click on SB Gold Dot There Speer goes on to tell about the changes made. Who know maybe they lie.

All the loads EXCEPT the 9 mm 124 gr +P are different; that one is identical because it worked as is and did not need modifications.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

I run Federal HST 147 gr in my 9mm's, great round and performance IMO.

Site Supporter
    Both are good loads. I carry 147gr Ranger Bonded but wouldn't think twice about carry either load mentioned, the Ranger's were just available in bulk when I needed to restock on carry ammo.

Did they ever clear up the hard primer issues with the Ranger Bonded? Was the PDX1 also affected by that?

User Tag List