Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: 9mm ammo, 147gr Gold Dot vs HST?

Quote Originally Posted by Paxamus View Post
    Unless my google has become very weak all of a sudden, I cannot find any HST 147 anywhere. Anyone know where I can locate some?
    That is actually something we civilians don't consider when selecting defensive ammo, availability.

That is why I prefer Gold Dots as I have both the LE and commercial channels to purchase from. I may not like it when I have to pay $1 a round for the commercial boxes, but if I need it and it is the the only box available I can do that.

Though I also have a half a case of the Gold Dot load I like, so it is pretty rare I have to purchase any.

Quote Originally Posted by Noah L Goddard View Post
    I wonder if anyone besides me is using Underwood 115 gr. +P+ JHP 1400/500. I have a S&W 5906 that I bought new in 1995. A little heavy but I like it for CCW. Underwood has two high velocity 115 gr. JHP, item # 131 & item # 740
    Thanks,
    Noah
    You won't find a lot of fans of ammo such as that here. I greatly prefer makers that load to spec and have a presence in the LE market.

If you just gotta have +P+ though; http://www.sgammo.com/product/speer/...-le-ammo-53612

Has anyone seen the 147s or 124 +p out there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The makers build ammo in batches, or runs, tool up for a caliber, make a metric shot ton of that ammo, then literally stop the presses, retool again, and go make something else.....

People forget that, or never knew it. This is why guys like Doc and me tell people to find something that works for their needs and go buy a case or two of it.

Anyway, I am guessing that the last run of HST and the ever popular 124gr +P Gold Dot is sold out, so one has to wait till it gets made again and buy it when it's available.

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    That's interesting about it not being sub-sonic...hmmm.

So here's where I'm at: I've looked around and cannot find 147 HST, even in EE's on forums, gunbroker, etc. Also, even if I did find some, I would not pay the $50/box price the secondary market seems to be demanding right now. Thus, I'm left with the following 3 choices. All are in-stock currently and all are on Doc's list. Between these three, and pros/cons?

-50 round box - 9mm Winchester Ranger ZQ4364 147 grain Bonded Hollow Point Ammo, $25.95/ea
    -CCI Speer 9mm 147 Grain Gold Dot Hollow Point - 50 Rounds per Box, $31.97/ea
    -Remington 9mm Golden Saber 147 Grain Brass JHP GS9MMC Ammo - 25 Rounds per Box, $15.47/ea, or $30.94/50 to make it an equal comparison.
    the 135 gr Hornady Critical Duty ammo is pretty easy to find,priced well too

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    That's interesting about it not being sub-sonic...hmmm.

So here's where I'm at: I've looked around and cannot find 147 HST, even in EE's on forums, gunbroker, etc. Also, even if I did find some, I would not pay the $50/box price the secondary market seems to be demanding right now. Thus, I'm left with the following 3 choices. All are in-stock currently and all are on Doc's list. Between these three, and pros/cons?

-50 round box - 9mm Winchester Ranger ZQ4364 147 grain Bonded Hollow Point Ammo, $25.95/ea
    -CCI Speer 9mm 147 Grain Gold Dot Hollow Point - 50 Rounds per Box, $31.97/ea
    -Remington 9mm Golden Saber 147 Grain Brass JHP GS9MMC Ammo - 25 Rounds per Box, $15.47/ea, or $30.94/50 to make it an equal comparison.
    In the beginning I wanted to use 147gr HST but didn't like the impulse the 147gr loads have in my P30.
    So I went with the standard pressure 124gr HST and its easy to find.

Now that my right hand has healed up I started using 124gr +P loads.

I choose Rem GS 124gr +P bonded!
    #1 In Docs test it did a excellent job when compared to HST 147gr and 124gr +P.
    #2 I saw two 4 layer gel test using a 2.7inch barrel and all the loads expanded.
    #3 Golden Saber Bonded isn't a popular load.
    *4 Comes seald up at both ends UNLIKE HST and hit and miss with ranger T /B .

Quote Originally Posted by PPGMD View Post
    That is actually something we civilians don't consider when selecting defensive ammo, availability.

That is why I prefer Gold Dots as I have both the LE and commercial channels to purchase from. I may not like it when I have to pay $1 a round for the commercial boxes, but if I need it and it is the the only box available I can do that.

Though I also have a half a case of the Gold Dot load I like, so it is pretty rare I have to purchase any.
    Police officers are Civilians.

Quote Originally Posted by BurtGummer View Post
    Police officers are Civilians.
    Not according to Webster's Dictionary, you know just those books we use to define the fracking english language. I know everyone likes to get their 'tude on over this point of semantics, but I really wish people would get the f**** over it.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

ok so now that I am waiting for the next batch of 147 HST to come out and I will buy more than I need next time. How do yall feel about 147 Speer GD? I am thinking about getting some of those until I can get my HSTs

The 147gr Gold Dot was the FBI issued 9mm duty loading for quite some time.

When we went back to 9mms in 2006 Indiana State Police did the same thing. They went with the 147gr Gold Dot as well.

It's a decent load.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

User Tag List