Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 9mm ammo, 147gr Gold Dot vs HST?

9mm ammo, 147gr Gold Dot vs HST?

I'm just about out of 9mm HP ammo. I have about 3 mags full and that's it, so time to stock up. I'd like to buy about 200 rounds. I've read Doc's sticky on handgun ammo about 100 times, and based on that, either of these would make a fine choice. My thought/reason for 147 is that I have a 9mm can that goes on my nightstand gun. If I standardize on 147, it should be subsonic and quieter through the can and work equally as well in my carry gun. I've heard some say that the HST is a better performer than the Gold Dot. Any truth to that? Any preference one way or the other for stocking up on 200 rounds? Best prices?

Thanks!

They're both outstanding loads, and I'd be confident with either one.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

I've been using HST exclusively for off-duty carry in a Glock 19. Like you, I did a great deal of research before settling on HST, and I have a great deal of confidence in this round.

The last time I purchased, I used one of the ammo bot search engines for the cheapest price.

I have settled on HST over most others after seeing and shooting quite a few cars and other objects.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Site Supporter
    The Gold Dot seems to have better availability when compared to the HST, so I usually buy what is in stock.

I'd prefer HST myself but like Guinness said I can usually find Gold Dots so that's primarily what I have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 147 gr HST is a bit better than the current 147 gr Gold Dot; the current 124 gr +P Gold Dot works well.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

My choices would be "it depends".

Since you are not doing car stops then I'd say the better choice is the HST, and that's what I would pick for off duty use, etc. On duty, given the choice between the two, I'd go with the bonded round since I do car stops fairly regularly.

I've been using 124gr +P Gold Dots as a defensive round in my handguns since I was old enough to buy one but the reality is BOTH are excellent rounds.

I know I find myself rereading his posts frequently but I think this bit has the most application in this situation:

Purchase a consistent, robust performing duty/self-defense load in sufficient quantities (at least 1000 rounds) then STOP worrying about the nuances of handgun ammunition terminal performance.
    If not me, then who?

Use what you can find. Given the choice, I prefer the HST in 147gr due to greater expansion, and the expanded petals are more robust due to the extremely thick jacket.

User Tag List