Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: FAST 2

We are diminished

FAST 2

Bill Wilson's recent post about re-inventing the classic Bill Drill brought to mind something I've discussed with a number of students, trainers, and friends over the past couple of years about the F.A.S.T.: The one thing I really don't like is that the reload is at a known, planned spot.

So I am thinking about changing it and wanted some feedback. Ideally, what I'd really appreciate is if some of you guys might take the time to run a meaningful number (5-10 each) of two different variations so I can see if the delta in scores is so great that I'd have to change the baselines (Basic, Intermediate, etc.). I'd really like to keep the coin time the same even if it means new coin-hunters have a little harder time of things.

So the current version is from legitimate concealment, loaded with two rounds at 7yd: draw, two shots to the 3x5, reload from slidelock, four shots to the 8" circle. Two second penalty per miss on the first two shots, one second penalty per miss on the last four shots.

New version: gun randomly loaded with 3-5 rounds at 7yd: draw, two shots to the 3x5, four shots to the 8", reload when gun goes dry. Same penalties for misses.

In order for the data collected to have meaning you really need to have the mag in the gun random. If you cheat it a bit and know where the reload is going to come, you've really thrown the drill.

Set up the way it is, no one will ever get a lucky reload during the target-to-target. My biggest remaining question is whether the location of the reload during the body shots will have an impact on time. Will going 1R3 vs 2R2 vs 3R1 to the body change times?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can tinker around with this over the next little while and offer their insight.

But no random one in the mag. That was considerate. This is really cool.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Perhaps to reduce guess-bagging (like that?), use 4-5 mags and load 3-5 rounds in each and then grab 2?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    But no random one in the mag.
    I don't understand what you mean by this.

Quote Originally Posted by BaiHu View Post
    Perhaps to reduce guess-bagging (like that?), use 4-5 mags and load 3-5 rounds in each and then grab 2?
    My thought for administering it in class is to tell students they need to have a fully loaded mag in their reload pouch and a gun with a round in the chamber but no mag. They bring me three magazines: one loaded with 2 rounds, one with 3, and one with 4. I randomly pick one and click it into their gun. Now neither of us knows when the reload is going to happen. It will take a little longer to run folks through this way.

Another option is to have them bring me a mag with five rounds in it and I'll take a few out and maybe put one back in out of sight of the shooter for the same effect. That will take even longer by a little bit but perhaps make things easier to avoid needing four mags each run.

The admin side of it really isn't important if the drill itself falls apart when run this way, though.

True. I believe JHC meant that it was nice of you not to make one mag have only 1 rd.

Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    I don't understand what you mean by this.
    I think meant you are forced to transition from the 3x5 to the circle AND get in a reload (2 separate items), you'll never get lucky and have the transition merged with the reload.

In principle, I like it better unless something doesn't work out during the trials.

Quote Originally Posted by BaiHu View Post
    True. I believe JHC meant that it was nice of you not to make one mag have only 1 rd.

Exactly. And have to react, reload and return to the 3x5.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

We are diminished
    OK, understood. Yeah, the idea is to keep it as fair as possible. Engaging the 3x5 twice is a greater burden than engaging the 8" twice; getting a reload in the middle of the two targets would be a lucky break. So the idea is to eliminate that. You'll know that you're going to get at least the first three shots before the reload.

We are diminished
    Note that the explanation says the gun will have 3-5 rounds in it to start, not the magazine. So it's one in the chamber and a mag of 2-4 (for a total of 3-5) plus a reload for the rest.

User Tag List