Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Texas: Top Instructors?

Texas: Top Instructors?

A dear friend is retiring soon and will move away, possibly to the Dallas area. The last time he actively shot was with Mike Harries and his group at Desert Marksmen, outside of Los Angeles. But with retirement comes a strong interest in returning to defensive pistol shooting. He's asked me if there are any top instructors whose home range is in Texas. Can anybody help?

M3 Strategies is in DFW. Stephen is a cool dude with a great head on his shoulders.

Paul Howe

Paul Howe is in Nacogdoches, TX... It would be worth the drive.

I drove over 20 hours to take the Tac Pistol Operator class... Howe is an excellent instructor, and has trained a lot of folks from the military, law enforcement, and civilian word.

Jeff Gonzales of www.TridentConcepts.com would be at the top of my list.
    I've taken numerous classes with him and always impressed by his teaching ability.

Combative Weapon Solutions is based mostly out of Austin. Haven't taken any of their classes yet, though I do plan on doing so later this year. Met one of their lead guys, Lee Vernon, through ShivWorks classes, seems like a pretty switched on dude.

FAST is closer to BCS for the most part, but I'm not sure if Kenan (AKA, Ski) is still teaching these days. Last I spoke, he had gov't contract work tying him up for most of 2014. Really cool guy, with a very solid background; heard he's been burned a bit on teaching civilian courses before, issues with no-shows, and since he doesn't have a pre-payment set-up, he gets screwed, so I'm not too sure if he'll be returning to teaching after his current gig.

Wayne Dobbs and Darryl Bolke from HiTS Have classes in DFW. They are on this forum. Great guys!

http://hardwiredtacticalshooting.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Will_H View Post
    Wayne Dobbs and Darryl Bolke from HiTS Have classes in DFW. They are on this forum. Great guys!

http://hardwiredtacticalshooting.com/
    Thanks! Being that I also shot a ton with Mike Harries at Desert Marksman, I probably already know him. We have a great facility in Dallas that is right of the Bush Tollway, so it is not an adventure to get to.

I'd also recommend Paul Howe in Nacogdoches, and Sheepdog Solutions in the Austin area.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Site Supporter
    www.krtraining.com Karl Rehn's outfit

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by warpedcamshaft View Post
    Paul Howe is in Nacogdoches, TX... It would be worth the drive.

I drove over 20 hours to take the Tac Pistol Operator class... Howe is an excellent instructor, and has trained a lot of folks from the military, law enforcement, and civilian word.
    This^
    Optimists study English; pessimists study Chinese; and realists learn to use a Kalashnikov.

Thanks, guys. I'll forward all recommendations directly to Paul. He'll probably be surprised there are so many top instructors in the Dallas area. Thanks, again.

User Tag List