Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DotW's Future

(Posts copied from the "Passion of the Gun" related to Drill of the Week -- ToddG)

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    Also a very good point, SecondsCount. A couple weeks ago I put something up on my blog about how every round in practice should matter. One long time reader and genuinely good guy asked, basically, "Do you ever just shoot for fun?" And my response was that practicing to get better was the fun part for me. Given a choice between putting a thousand rounds through a Glock 18 for grins or taking that thousand rounds and practicing with my carry gun, I'm going to be a lot happier at the end of the day having practiced effectively.

But if someone is getting burned out, it's time to assess and make some changes. I've definitely known guys who got so wrapped around the axle about performance that it sucked all the joy out of their shooting. Some people could practice twelve hours a day and love every minute of it, some can't or won't or just don't. Sure there are times when it's good to push through and practice because you need to. But if you're doing that every single time you're at the range, you're really not getting your time & money's worth. Take a break, switch guns, switch drills, do whatever it takes to be find the motivation.
    Well said, and DoTW is a great way to mitigate motivational factors while still focusing on increasing performance.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ToddG; 03-05-2014 at 10:23 PM.

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by tremiles View Post
    Well said, and DoTW is a great way to mitigate motivational factors while still focusing on increasing performance.
    Well, DotW is probably going bye-bye. Four or five people a week posting scores isn't really accomplishing much and it probably takes me more time to pick, write, and post than it's worth. But that's a topic for a different thread...

Well, DotW is probably going bye-bye. Four or five people a week posting scores isn't really accomplishing much and it probably takes me more time to pick, write, and post than it's worth. But that's a topic for a different thread...
    OT, but are the existing DoTW threads going away to save forum space, or just new drills not going to be posted? I apologize for not personally contributing with my scores, bit the combination of shame and adapting most of the drills to a range that doesn't allow a holster draw prevent it.

Edit...

And thanks for all the work you put into EVERYTHING in addition to DoTW.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

We are diminished
    Just probably no new DotWs.

Maybe a Drill of the Month would work better - It's tough for me to justify changing my plan and allocating the ammo to shoot different drills on relatively short notice, but I find that I'll use them maybe a few weeks later

Just probably no new DotWs.
    http://youtu.be/kFT083GhycM

Sent from my iThingy using Tapawhatsit
    One of the biggest and most common mistakes gun owners make is assuming that they are done learning how to shoot.

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffJ View Post
    Maybe a Drill of the Month would work better - It's tough for me to justify changing my plan and allocating the ammo to shoot different drills on relatively short notice, but I find that I'll use them maybe a few weeks later
    Understood. Nonetheless, part of the point behind the DotW was to give folks something to do that might be outside their normal, planned routine. In many instances it was specifically about challenging folks.

When the forum was new and had less than a thousand members we were getting 50+ folks a week sometimes participating. Now we have far more members (and more active/current members), far more posts, but sometimes we see only two or three people reporting their results. Perhaps there are plenty of people who just don't bother reporting but from the Staff's perspective -- and especially from mine -- the effort isn't worth the result. The drills don't just get randomly chosen. Oftentimes there are intended progressions or purposeful changes in focus. There is an ongoing thread in the private Staff forum where we have the DotWs planned out more than a month in advance at times.

We've also worked hard to reduce the number of rounds required most weeks because we understand the ammo shortage has made a real dent in what people can afford to shoot.

What it really boils down to is that the vast majority of the forum doesn't seem to want it, so we're not going to keep trying to force it on folks.

As someone that has just started participating I sure hate to see them go, but I can certainly appreciate not wanting to waste your time. I've looked back through a lot of the old drills and there was much more participation in the past. I won't insult anyone by pretending to have a clue as to why participation is down, I guess why doesn't really matter.

I enjoy the drills and appreciate the effort. At my level, every one of them is a challenge and they push me, they usually embarrass me.

On a side note Todd... I don't know if the quote in your sig, "Sometimes the fastest way to get fast is to go faster", is yours or not and I couldn't remember where I had read it before (until I saw your post tonight), but that is the exact quote I was thinking about today when I decided to push myself on my first shot from concealment. The drill this week was a complete flop for me, and the past two drills have showed a real lack of speed from concealment. Based solely on just going faster I proved to myself that I could get a shot off in under 2 seconds, now I just need to spend a bunch of time and energy dialing it in.

Thanks for the site Todd.

<--- Guilty for not always posting score / results.

I like the drills, but can't always get to them before the thread closes.

Normally, I'll copy them to a word doc and then when I have the time, go out and shoot them.

I appreciate the time and effort put towards making the DOTW progressive and relevant, but I'll be disappointed if it goes away.
    Is the boy you were proud of the man you are?

Fimbo iliyo mkononi, ndio iuwayo nyoka!

Quote Originally Posted by Andy in NH View Post
    <--- Guilty for not always posting score / results.

I like the drills, but can't always get to them before the thread closes.

Normally, I'll copy them to a word doc and then when I have the time, go out and shoot them.

I appreciate the time and effort put towards making the DOTW progressive and relevant, but I'll be disappointed if it goes away.
    Same here. I almost always shoot them, but can only get to the range every other week at most. I really appreciate the progressions, so I still shoot them in order. This means that I am almost always shooting drills after the time to post results has closed, but I still record my performance and compare to the folks that did post. I greatly appreciate the time and effort you guys put in creating and posting the drills. There are almost two years worth of DotW's posted at this point. That's enough to cycle back through and still keep things fresh.

This forum is awesome in so many ways. I can't thank the staff and membership enough. I am a better shooter today because of this site, and the DotW's have played a significant part in that. Thanks everyone for keeping them going as long as you have.

User Tag List