Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 9BPLE

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    Ya need one?
    Pretty hip, dude.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by Symmetry View Post
    Speer Lawman is pretty weak in 124gr through a 4" barrel. I get an average velocity of only 1050fps, while the 147gr Lawman is full power at approximately 965fps. So, not an apples to apples comparison when you compare Lawman to defensive loadings.

As far as standard pressure loads go, I am not a fan of 115gr and 124gr standard pressure loads in 4" or shorter barrels. We used 124gr Gold Dots in our MP5s in the late 1990s, but that was through a 9" barrel which upped the velocity and it wasn't a problem. For HSTs, I only get an average of 1090fps for standard pressure 124gr through a 4" barrel. 147gr HSTs on the other hand measures at 980fps through the same 4" barrel. 124+P HSTs average 1175fps. Longer, heavier bullets stay in the barrel longer and allow powder to burn more efficiently. For barrels of 4" or less, I think you should stick with either 147gr standard pressure, or 124gr+P. I prefer 147gr for its better windshield performance, better expansion reliability(deeper hollow point, less likely to plug), and larger expanded and unexpanded projectile(expanded bullets tumble).
    The recoil of the lawman 147 is to much for me. I bet the 147 HST will be even worse since it has a slightly higher velocity.

Really Odd I carry a P229 40 and shooting 180 T isn't as bad and my 180 reloads are even better.

I may go with the Federal 124gr Bonded or the 124 HST if I can ever find the 124B

Ever shoot with a busted up hand?

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    The recoil of the lawman 147 is to much for me. I bet the 147 HST will be even worse since it has a slightly higher velocity.

Really Odd I carry a P229 40 and shooting 180 T isn't as bad and my 180 reloads are even better.

I may go with the Federal 124gr Bonded or the 124 HST if I can ever find the 124B

Broken hand on one side, and a busted up shoulder on the other. The P229/P228 absorbs recoil better than the P30 due to slide mass and having the barrel/slide more forward. A 9mm Sig is a kitten compared to a .40 Sig.

Did you have surgery on your hand?

Did you have surgery on your hand?
    Broke several bones in my right hand from a mountain biking accident, and then tore the labrum in my shoulder a month later. My hand didn't need surgery, but after the cast I needed a lot of rehab. The shoulder needed surgery, with a lot of rehab too.

I used to be a larger caliber shooter before my injuries, but after that I changed my philosophy. You see, during training we often master our craft when we are at our best mentally and physically. To master a larger caliber takes more focus, strength, and skill than a smaller caliber..........and that strength and focus must remain intact during a fight to shoot well. More likely we will be at our worst mentally and physically during a gun fight and I feel that I am better served using a caliber that is easier to handle when that time comes. The larger calibers recoil more and take longer to get back on target, trigger jerk is more common under stress, the recoil spring is stiffer and harder to cycle under bad conditions, you must perform reloads more often,.....etc, etc. Those obstacles are even more pronouced when you have do everything with one hand. So, I pretty much use 9mm exclusively these days, and will only bump back up to .40 if my agency gets rid of the 9mm like they have talked about doing in recent years.

I really liked the P30 that I had a few years ago. The grip was much more comfy than my Sigs and that translated into easier target alignment, but I thought it was more jumpy than my P228 and the slide release lever was in the way with thumbs forward.
    Last edited by Symmetry; 03-08-2014 at 02:41 PM.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    Pretty hip, dude.
    I'm on a trip now. Will let you know how much I got but I'm sure I can spare a box.

They used to be my carry/HS round but since have been regulated into my "emergency reserves"

I'd have to hunt down a 39 to put them in, or a Star. Which sounds kind of fun.

If they still made them, I would run the 38s in my j frame.
    Ignore Alien Orders

I am suppirsed to hear someone say that. Speer lawman 147 is my favriot stuff to shoot. It feels much easier on my often achy hands.

Quote Originally Posted by tbg View Post
    I am suppirsed to hear someone say that. Speer lawman 147 is my favriot stuff to shoot. It feels much easier on my often achy hands.
    More proof that felt recoil is highly subjective, both in terms of ammo and specific guns. I think my SIG is one of if not thee softest shooting 9mm I've shot, others I know think it's harsh.

I once ran some .40S&W 135 grain loads from Double Tap, or maybe it was Buffalo Bore, through a Glock 23. Nothing has felt harsh since.

I also prefer to shoot 147gr 9mm, as the recoil impulse does seem gentler than 124gr or 115gr.

Then again, for years I would shoot 155gr 40SW Federal target ammo because it was ballistically similar to my defensive ammo, and also I was apparently an idiot or temporarily insane. Little wonder that I didn't shoot more often than every 3-6 months during that time, managing recoil from a 155gr 40SW is about as challenging as it gets, IMHO. All of the 9mm varieties I've tried since switching to the P30 have been different shades of "boy, that's way easier to shoot than 40SW".

In my defense, I did wise up and switch to 180gr ball ammo when I started shooting the 40SW on the regular...
    Looking for a gun blog with AARs, gear reviews, and the occasional random tangent written by a hardcore geek? trevoronthetrigger.wordpress.com/
    Latest post: The Rogers Shooting School Experience (15 Jul 2014)

User Tag List