Page 19 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: The Passion of the Gun

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    Let me change that for you.......

I am really a revolver guy, but I use a semi auto as a soulless disposable carry and training tool.
    Yes!!!! Thanks for clearing that up.

Ken

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    To dig a bit deeper, it's really about the trigger, MY accuracy potential, and just how it "feels". I've been able to drive Glocks relatively well, but I have to force my hand to fit them, as apposed to the 226 being an extension of my hand. Completely subjective on my part for sure, but it's harder to spend my time on something that doesn't excite.
    I'm tracking now.

For me, there's a lot of gun nerd that goes into what I feel affection toward. (For instance, the little Mauser 1910 I've been coonfingering off and on for the past week or so has a machined steel magazine follower. That is just so... extravagant to my modern eyes. From the vantage point of today, it's completely over the top, like gold leaf toilet paper.)
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

When I was in my first cav unit I was issued a 1911, not a 1911a1, a fer-reals 1911. Never got converted over to a1, flat mainspring housing, almost no beavertail, giant hook of a hammer that drew blood every time I shot it.... I tracked the serial number and Colts said it had been built in 1913.

It was indescribably badass for me to be carrying a gun that could have been used to shoot at Pancho Villa's men, and those of the Kaiser, and Hitler's......

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    When I was in my first cav unit I was issued a 1911, not a 1911a1, a fer-reals 1911. Never got converted over to a1, flat mainspring housing, almost no beavertail, giant hook of a hammer that drew blood every time I shot it.... I tracked the serial number and Colts said it had been built in 1913.

It was indescribably badass for me to be carrying a gun that could have been used to shoot at Pancho Villa's men, and those of the Kaiser, and Hitler's......
    That's just cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post

Damn Cool Chuck! My issued pistol as an MP at Ft. Polk in 1974 was a WWII Remington Rand that looked brand new. Not near as cool as a Pancho Villa gun!

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    See, that's a distinction I'm unable to draw; toaster parts are toaster parts, even if the shell is stamped steel and aluminum instead of plastic. I don't really get much more soul vibe from a Beretta or classic SIG than I do from, say, a USP or FNS.
    I don't know. For me, a SIG AND Beretta have almost as much soul as a 1911. Not quite there. But enough. As do S&W 3rd gen autos. It's a combination of being metal, feeling like a real gun, having good ergonomics, and having a hammer.
    Quote Originally Posted by montanadave
    My wife has already written my obituary which, in part, attributes my death to complications from my second penis reduction surgery.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    I'm tracking now.

For me, there's a lot of gun nerd that goes into what I feel affection toward. (For instance, the little Mauser 1910 I've been coonfingering off and on for the past week or so has a machined steel magazine follower. That is just so... extravagant to my modern eyes. From the vantage point of today, it's completely over the top, like gold leaf toilet paper.)
    That's how I felt when I shot a Sterling. Magazine follower on rollers? It was like they took the basic MP18/MP28 design from the bottom of the economy basement (i.e. the STEN) and pushed it up to the penthouse. I've never felt an open-bolt SMG run that smoothly.

Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Salad0892 View Post
    I don't know. For me, a SIG AND Beretta have almost as much soul as a 1911. Not quite there. But enough. As do S&W 3rd gen autos. It's a combination of being metal, feeling like a real gun, having good ergonomics, and having a hammer.

This. It just feels like a 'real' gun when you press trigger. When that hammer drops, it feels like a gun. (Though not so much for me with the 3rd Gen Smiths, they're a little mushy in that regard)

Quote Originally Posted by LHS View Post
    That's how I felt when I shot a Sterling. Magazine follower on rollers? It was like they took the basic MP18/MP28 design from the bottom of the economy basement (i.e. the STEN) and pushed it up to the penthouse. I've never felt an open-bolt SMG run that smoothly.
    One of the coolest guns I've ever shot is a (afaik) factory suppressed Stirling. That is the gun all movie suppressors are recorded from.
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

Quote Originally Posted by LHS View Post
    This. It just feels like a 'real' gun when you press trigger. When that hammer drops, it feels like a gun. (Though not so much for me with the 3rd Gen Smiths, they're a little mushy in that regard)
    I got to shoot a 3rd Gen Smith (5904) that was worked over by Novak. It makes my top 5 pistols ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by montanadave
    My wife has already written my obituary which, in part, attributes my death to complications from my second penis reduction surgery.

User Tag List