Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Passion of the Gun

We are diminished

The Passion of the Gun

From another thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Salad0892 View Post
    Also, and I think this is important in a personal weapon: I don't feel passionate about firing a Glock anymore.
    You know, three years ago when pistol-forum.com started, I would have made fun of M_S for saying that. Shooting, especially defense-oriented shooting, should be about objective collectible performance data. Whether or not you're smilin' on the inside shouldn't be a consideration. Grow up! This isn't about fun and feelings, it's about being the best you can be, hippie!

Except...

I've shot a lot of different guns over the past seven years. And some were just plain more motivating than others. I probably shot the 1911 the worst by some measures but I loved going to the range and working hard at improving with it. There were times during other tests that I'd go weeks without doing any substantial shooting because I felt burned out or simply disinterested. Shooting felt so much like work that even if I was doing well (like my last trip to Rogers) I also felt exhausted by the effort.

My recent re-introduction to SIG has again revitalized a passion I'd forgotten for TDA guns. Will I ever get back to Rogers and beat my previous best but with a SIG? Maybe not. But are two points at Rogers (best I did with a SIG, P220ST, was 121 in '03 I think compared to 123 with G17 in '12) more important than enjoying the hundreds of hours I spend practicing per year? Not to me. And it blows my mind to see myself type that.

GJM is another great example. If you haven't noticed I think he started a thread about liking CZ pistols. And the CZ may in fact be the perfect meld for him. But I don't think anyone can read his posts and fail to see that his passion for that gun is leading to more practice, more focus, and more enthusiasm that all translates, in the end, into a better chance to claw performance out of whatever you shoot.

Site Supporter
    It's easy for me to feel burned out and skip range sessions for up to 2 months when I lose my interest. The sign it's coming is my attitude changes about shooting matches. I love shooting matches, but when it goes south - I know it's time.

I seem to circle back at Glock and start over, but I need those diversions to help me appreciate the differences, further refine my list of what needs improvement, and keep my eyes open for the next best gun.

Shooting is part hobby for me, hobbies should be fun.
    Last edited by JV_; 03-05-2014 at 09:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    From another thread:

You know, three years ago when pistol-forum.com started, I would have made fun of M_S for saying that. Shooting, especially defense-oriented shooting, should be about objective collectible performance data. Whether or not you're smilin' on the inside shouldn't be a consideration. Grow up! This isn't about fun and feelings, it's about being the best you can be, hippie!

Except...

I've shot a lot of different guns over the past seven years. And some were just plain more motivating than others. I probably shot the 1911 the worst by some measures but I loved going to the range and working hard at improving with it. There were times during other tests that I'd go weeks without doing any substantial shooting because I felt burned out or simply disinterested. Shooting felt so much like work that even if I was doing well (like my last trip to Rogers) I also felt exhausted by the effort.

My recent re-introduction to SIG has again revitalized a passion I'd forgotten for TDA guns. Will I ever get back to Rogers and beat my previous best but with a SIG? Maybe not. But are two points at Rogers (best I did with a SIG, P220ST, was 121 in '03 I think compared to 123 with G17 in '12) more important than enjoying the hundreds of hours I spend practicing per year? Not to me. And it blows my mind to see myself type that.

GJM is another great example. If you haven't noticed I think he started a thread about liking CZ pistols. And the CZ may in fact be the perfect meld for him. But I don't think anyone can read his posts and fail to see that his passion for that gun is leading to more practice, more focus, and more enthusiasm that all translates, in the end, into a better chance to claw performance out of whatever you shoot.
    I agree 100%.

This thread is the perfect place for me to do my first post on the forum.........

Now that I no longer shoot competitively in matches, I shoot primarily for two reasons: #1 to keep my proficiency up in case I ever need to deploy the pistol that's always on my hip. #2 Because I enjoy shooting and it's still plain ole FUN for me after all these years and millions of rounds downrange.

That being said I just don't enjoy guns that in my good buddy Ken Hackathorn's words "come out of the box with no pride of ownership". For me most polymer frame guns fit this category (P30 might be an exception), even though I personally shoot the PX4, M&P, P30 and FNS very well compared to others I shoot much more often. I just don't do Glocks due to the grip angle.

So when I go shooting (which I normally do 2-3 times a week) I want to shoot guns I enjoy and have pride in owning, like 1911s, Beretta 92s and various revolvers. At over 60 now both Ken and I have pretty much decided that shooting a lot of .45 like we used to just isn't as much fun as it was when we had fewer aches and pains! That coupled with what a 9mm will do down range with modern bullets/propellants has us both primarily shooting 9mm these days.

Not to say I don't shoot a wide variety of pistol models, I do because I want to be proficient with virtually any handgun I pick up. But when it comes to enjoyment, it's just a lot more fun to shoot guns you are very proud to own. These days guns that fit that category for me and what I shoot the most are:

WC 1911 Ultralight Carry spec Compact 9mm built on a steel frame
    WC 1911 Ultralight Carry full size 9mm, aluminum frame
    Beretta 92G SD or 92G Brigadier

I have a bunch of polymer pistols that are great "tools" and I have great confidence in the PX4 compact I often carry and personally shoot it very well, but as Ken O says "it comes out of the box with no pride of ownership" !

We are diminished
    Holy kitten.
    Name:  Screen Shot 2014-03-05 at 5-Mar-14 09.50.25 AM.jpg
Views: 2200
Size:  18.4 KB

It makes me very happy to see that my post had something to do with sparking a discussion about passion in shooting a handgun. Thanks for that, Todd.

Passion, and fun had a lot to do with why I went from a Glock to a 1911 every day. I shoot better now, and I know more about myself as a shooter.

I never have to go to the range. I get to go to the range.
    Quote Originally Posted by montanadave
    My wife has already written my obituary which, in part, attributes my death to complications from my second penis reduction surgery.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    Holy kitten.
    Name:  Screen Shot 2014-03-05 at 5-Mar-14 09.50.25 AM.jpg
Views: 2200
Size:  18.4 KB
    Wow! Looking forward to reading some good info!

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Wilson View Post
    This thread is the perfect place for me to do my first post on the forum.........

Now that I no longer shoot competitively in matches, I shoot primarily for two reasons: #1 to keep my proficiency up in case I ever need to deploy the pistol that's always on my hip. #2 Because I enjoy shooting and it's still plain ole FUN for me after all these years and millions of rounds downrange.

That being said I just don't enjoy guns that in my good buddy Ken Hackathorn's words "come out of the box with no pride of ownership". For me most polymer frame guns fit this category (P30 might be an exception), even though I personally shoot the PX4, M&P, P30 and FNS very well compared to others I shoot much more often. I just don't do Glocks due to the grip angle.

So when I go shooting (which I normally do 2-3 times a week) I want to shoot guns I enjoy and have pride in owning, like 1911s, Beretta 92s and various revolvers. At over 60 now both Ken and I have pretty much decided that shooting a lot of .45 like we used to just isn't as much fun as it was when we had fewer aches and pains! That coupled with what a 9mm will do down range with modern bullets/propellants has us both primarily shooting 9mm these days.

Not to say I don't shoot a wide variety of pistol models, I do because I want to be proficient with virtually any handgun I pick up. But when it comes to enjoyment, it's just a lot more fun to shoot guns you are very proud to own. These days guns that fit that category for me and what I shoot the most are:

WC 1911 Ultralight Carry spec Compact 9mm built on a steel frame
    WC 1911 Ultralight Carry full size 9mm, aluminum frame
    Beretta 92G SD or 92G Brigadier

I have a bunch of polymer pistols that are great "tools" and I have great confidence in the PX4 compact I often carry and personally shoot it very well, but as Ken O says "it comes out of the box with no pride of ownership" !
    Welcome to the board, Mr. Wilson!
    Quote Originally Posted by montanadave
    My wife has already written my obituary which, in part, attributes my death to complications from my second penis reduction surgery.

Wow, I hesitate to even post in this thread. So many big names rolling around. It would be like walking into church and seeing the Pope up front...just slowly back out.
    Anyway, for what it's worth, I agree that passion can and does drive better performance with a given pistol. I think confidence is an element of passion. It's hard to be passionate about something you don't have any confidence in. For me, shooting my M&P's had become 100% deflating because I had no more confidence in them after the ongoing accuracy issues and hassles with Smith. Now that I'm shooting Glocks again, I'm all excited about it, which will probably fuel better performance. Heck, I even called up a local range to see when their next GSSF match was...just fun to be confident in a weapon again.

User Tag List