Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Home Defense Long Guns Question

I keep a pair of Sordins next to my bed for those bump in the night moments.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Earpro stays on the rifle.

While I understand the concern that taking the extra step to put on earpro might look bad to a jury, remember that you have to SURVIVE to see a jury. Theoretically, there also needs to be probable cause that a crime has been convicted for you to be charged and indicted, too but I'm sure that in some jurisdictions a LaRue bumper sticker counts as probably cause.

If earpro is a concern, one can always take the earpro off before LE arrives and put them in a drawer. Then again, if your local LE officers use earpro in buildings, then it should not be an issue as you are just prudently following the lead of your community's experts on lethal force and self-defense...
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

I can turn my Sordins up to hear better. Some of us are already dealing with hearing damage.

I think it's ridiculous to assert that use of ear protection is going to have any effect at all on the aftermath of a use-of-force incident in the home.

Choice of weapon? Sure, I'll buy that -- probably not the best choice to respond to a possible intruder with an M79 and a bandoleer of HEDP rounds.

Positive ID? Absolutely -- if you don't bring a light and use it before you pull the trigger, well...

Choice of ammo? Borderline, but I'll buy it. Doesn't hurt that you can buy the stuff proven to work in actual LE UoF incidents.

Ear protection? You've gotta be kidding me. Next thing I'll hear is that a righteous homeowner shoot tipped over into a grand jury indictment because the homeowner put on glasses before going downstairs, and that constituted eye protection, therefore premeditated murder.

If you pick up a gun with the knowledge that you may be pulling the trigger in the next few minutes, whether that's at the range or standing near your kicked-in back door, wearing hearing protection is the LAST thing you should be thinking twice about. Note that DocGKR keeps operator-grade ear-pro on his nightstand, I keep ear defenders with my carbine, etc. That's a string of clues, right there. When I upgrade to Sordins I'm pretty sure they're going to be on or near my nightstand as well.
    Looking for a gun blog with AARs, gear reviews, and the occasional random tangent written by a hardcore geek? trevoronthetrigger.wordpress.com/
    Latest post: The Rogers Shooting School Experience (15 Jul 2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Wiggin View Post
    Earpro stays on the rifle.

While I understand the concern that taking the extra step to put on earpro might look bad to a jury, remember that you have to SURVIVE to see a jury. Theoretically, there also needs to be probable cause that a crime has been convicted for you to be charged and indicted, too but I'm sure that in some jurisdictions a LaRue bumper sticker counts as probably cause.
    I think the last suppressed defense shooting our county guys saw was 6 years ago. The suppressor and weapon is still in evidence for some reason even though the case was closed as a justified case of self defense. Not sure if it is an issue with it being an NFA item or not.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTrevor View Post
    I think it's ridiculous to assert that use of ear protection is going to have any effect at all on the aftermath of a use-of-force incident in the home.

Choice of weapon? Sure, I'll buy that -- probably not the best choice to respond to a possible intruder with an M79 and a bandoleer of HEDP rounds.

Positive ID? Absolutely -- if you don't bring a light and use it before you pull the trigger, well...

Choice of ammo? Borderline, but I'll buy it. Doesn't hurt that you can buy the stuff proven to work in actual LE UoF incidents.

Ear protection? You've gotta be kidding me. Next thing I'll hear is that a righteous homeowner shoot tipped over into a grand jury indictment because the homeowner put on glasses before going downstairs, and that constituted eye protection, therefore premeditated murder.

If you pick up a gun with the knowledge that you may be pulling the trigger in the next few minutes, whether that's at the range or standing near your kicked-in back door, wearing hearing protection is the LAST thing you should be thinking twice about. Note that DocGKR keeps operator-grade ear-pro on his nightstand, I keep ear defenders with my carbine, etc. That's a string of clues, right there. When I upgrade to Sordins I'm pretty sure they're going to be on or near my nightstand as well.

That's fine - they're just not for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    That's fine - they're just not for me.
    Fair enough, and that wasn't directed at you in particular.

To be clear, I don't think anyone's head is going to explode Scanners style if they have to fire a carbine indoors without ear-pro. If you're sufficiently into fight-or-flight your anticipatory tensor tympani response may already have kicked in and reduced your risk of permanent hearing damage, especially if you're the only one pulling a trigger.

Besides, I hear that screaming at the top of your lungs while Costa-shooting the BG is nearly as effective as wearing a pair of Sordins.
    Looking for a gun blog with AARs, gear reviews, and the occasional random tangent written by a hardcore geek? trevoronthetrigger.wordpress.com/
    Latest post: The Rogers Shooting School Experience (15 Jul 2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Symmetry View Post
    I think the last suppressed defense shooting our county guys saw was 6 years ago. The suppressor and weapon is still in evidence for some reason even though the case was closed as a justified case of self defense. Not sure if it is an issue with it being an NFA item or not.
    Again, my first priority is to SURVIVE.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Wiggin View Post
    Again, my first priority is to SURVIVE.
    Indeed. Followed by legal protection from prosecution, followed by protection against civil retribution. Lengthy prison time and/or having all of your assets seized, destroys not only the individual but their family as well. I've worked a few of those cases to. I can tell you that juries, especially in this day and age in contested states will use image, and conduct during defense in their deliberations. In other words, it is important to keep the right image in addition to adequate firepower. Image varies from county to county.

User Tag List