Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Home Defense Long Guns Question

Home Defense Long Guns Question

I just read the "Home Defense Long Guns" thread, and found it to be very informative. After reading, I'm convinced that the AR platform is clearly the best tool for the job at hand.

Given that, I do wonder what it is like to fire that weapon in an enclosed area, minus the benefit of hearing protection. Would it be so loud as to completely disorient the shooter? I'm thinking that permanent hearing loss is almost a certainty.

Has anyone had any experience or possess any data they can share?

Thanks,

I can attest that firing two rounds from a 10" carbine in a very small enclosed space with metal walls, sans hearing protection did not disorient me to any degree. I do have some degree of hearing loss, but it isn't significant, and I have lots of other acoustic trauma events to throw in the mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    I can attest that firing two rounds from a 10" carbine in a very small enclosed space with metal walls, sans hearing protection did not disorient me to any degree. I do have some degree of hearing loss, but it isn't significant, and I have lots of other acoustic trauma events to throw in the mix.
    With a 16" gun,,,,, ^This^

I asked a retired SWAT friend of mine this question many years ago. He had been involved in 13 incidents involving gunfire in the line of duty. He did have a bit of hearing loss and a hearing aid in one ear. Back in the 80s and 90s, they didn't wear any kind of hearing protection before engaging SWAT threats so as not to interfere with situational awareness and communication. Without a doubt, the M4 he used was far louder indoors than their MP5 9mms or their 12-gauges. He generally preferred a subgun or 12-gauge for indoor work.

I keep these in my range bag next to where my carbine sits in the gunlocker;
    http://www.srstactical.com/communica...and/76302.html

Wish I had a set of them when I was in SWAT.

I keep a pair of these hanging next to my social-occasions AR along with a loaded spare magazine:

Surefire EP4 Sonic Defender Ear Protection
    http://amzn.com/B004DH65RI

I figure if I have time and inclination to grab something more serious than my nightstand gun, I probably have an extra 10 seconds to stuff the defenders into my ear-holes. I already enjoy (is that the right word?) a fair bit of tinnitus and hearing loss in various frequency ranges, last thing I need is further trauma from firing an AR indoors or out.
    Looking for a gun blog with AARs, gear reviews, and the occasional random tangent written by a hardcore geek? trevoronthetrigger.wordpress.com/
    Latest post: The Rogers Shooting School Experience (15 Jul 2014)

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Lots of guys in bad places fired M4s indoors sans ear pro. Few folks make it out of the combat arms without some hearing loss, especially if they had been in a firefight but they weren't debilitating events for them.

The way I think about it, a HD situation that requires you to shoot is most likely a once in a life time event for most of us (if not, maybe consider moving). I'm not a cop or so I am willing to accept the possibility of more hearing loss for the ability to not worry about the earpro leading up to the event.

Thanks for the responses. I was concerned that the report from an AR in an enclosed space would be the equivalent of a flash bang. Glad to hear that it isn't that bad.

I personally would not want to wear active hearing protection if I were really "looking for someone" in or around my house. It would freak me out worse than I'd already be freaked out I think - I'd really want my natural senses.

I also think it would be tough to explain to a jury. But all the internet lawyers will know all about this.

Quote Originally Posted by 1957 View Post
    Thanks for the responses. I was concerned that the report from an AR in an enclosed space would be the equivalent of a flash bang. Glad to hear that it isn't that bad.

It pretty much IS like a flash bang. The difference is, are you just standing there and suddenly the event happens, or are you initiating the event? The effect on you is different.

User Tag List