Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JM Custom Kydex AIWB (I have 4 of them)

JM Custom Kydex AIWB (I have 4 of them)

So at the urging of Todd Green, I decided to pick up one of the JM Custom's AIWB holsters. Two years later I now have four of them. This is a common post and I am sure I will not say anything that has not already been said, like "they are great, the one to choose, my favorite holster", etc. But I think I owe it to Tony to say it all again.

As many of you know, I have been carrying AIWB off and on (mostly on) since about 1994. One of my students from my days teaching the HRP program in the Marine Corps was a DEA HEAT team member and carried a Sig 220 AIWB. I remember thinking it was crazy to carry a gun there and asked him about it, he had made a ton of point’s right there on the spot and convinced me that it was the way to go for me.

Anyway, I think I now have close to 20 different holsters for AIWB. Everything from a Galco Scout to a couple of homemade kydex holsters for a Beretta Compact. My experience now goes back 20 years with this carry method and I am sure I have carried as many different guns and holsters in that time frame. Like some others on this forum, I am always looking for the perfect set up. Never truly happy with what I have and always looking for something better or the perfect gun holster combo. Managing the tradeoff between shootablity and concealablity is not an easy task. Add in the decisions about picking between striker fired, DA/SA, or something in between, it seems to be a never ending battle, but a fun mental exercise at the very least.

So back to JM Custom AIWB holsters. It all started with a P30 holster. I carried a P30 for several years and still consider that one of my favorite guns, maybe the perfect gun? I have both an SME and a JM Custom for the standard P30. I don't think it is fair to even compare the two as one is leather and one is Kydex. It's just not the same. The nod on comfort would have to go to the SME, and I don't think anyone would argue with me there. But when it comes to speed, the JM is hands down the fastest AIWB holster I own. I also would say it is the most comfortable "Kydex" AIWB holster I own.

I now have one for the P30L, Glock 19 and Glock 17 as well as for the standard P30. I have gone to almost always using the Glock 17 holster with the Glock 19. Thanks to the suggestions of John Mayer "Tony" for that, it has worked out very well for me. As most that have carried AIWB, the longer 17 holster is a bit more concealable than the 19 holster as the extra length on the barrel end of the holster really helps prevent role over.
    I will also say that now having ordered 4 of the holsters, I can really give the thumbs up to JM Custom for consistently delivering a quality product in a very timely fashion. Having spent the last two years using them, they are worth every penny and more.

Bottom line, if you’re looking for a Kydex holster for AIWB, you owe it to yourself to try JM Custom Kydex. Great value, great customer service, great quality, great comfort, very fast, and great concealment, so what else do you want in a carry holster?

Thanks,

Ernest Langdon
    www.langdontac.com
    www.langdontactical.com
    Bellator,Doctus,Armatus

Site Supporter
    My first choice every morning as well. Tony's been great to deal with and the gear is top notch.

I emailed him once on the weekend with a question, not expecting a reply until at least Monday. 3 minutes later, my phone beeped alerting me to a new email. Good communication is just as important to me as the quality of the product someone produces.

Ernest, thanks for the business and we are happy you like them.

Up1911Fan and Casual Friday, thanks for the kudos and the business.

I've been considering one.

What are the tradeoffs between the solid kydex loop, split kydex loop, and soft loops? Obviously the soft loops will be good for taking on/off the holster easily, but is there a strength and concealability difference between the three?

Site Supporter
    My first choice is the solid loop, I also have one with the split loop for certain pants.

I went with the solid loop as well. I have attached some "soft" Velcro to the outside of the loop since I usually wear a Wilderness Instructor or Frequent Flyer belt. The added Velcro lets me really lock in the holster's position.

I haven't needed to try split loops yet since I carry between the 11 and 12 o'clock positions.

~ Typos brought to you by my lazyness & in attention to detail.
    If you can't taste the sarcasm, try licking the screen.

Gettin’ old and blind ain’t for sissies. ~ 41Magfan

I went soft loops and need to fix it, they do print. I didn't think through the fact that it's a lot easier to unthread an aiwb gun than a 3:30 gun.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Mine is on order

Quote Originally Posted by shootist26 View Post
    I've been considering one.

What are the tradeoffs between the solid kydex loop, split kydex loop, and soft loops? Obviously the soft loops will be good for taking on/off the holster easily, but is there a strength and concealability difference between the three?
    I started out with the solid loop and then moved to the split loop due to the belt loop position on some of my pants/shorts. I've found the split loop to not be a compromise in regards to movement and it also provides me the flexibility to keep the gun in the same spot at 2' no matter my attire selection.
    I have no experience with the soft loops on a JM holster.

User Tag List