Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: I don't always invade countries...

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    Tank?

It's normal for a "papa bravo" to have a 14.5 mounted;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BTR-60
    I feel your pain!

Every time someone calls an APC a tank, I cringe and Patton's ghost kills a puppy.

It is only worse when they are referring to a wheeled vehicle.

Heck, even my three year old knows that tanks have tracks.

I'll bet the assault machine gun on that tank uses high capacity clips.............

Considering nothing in my gun safe would put a dent in either an APC or a real tank, they might as well all be tanks to me

Quote Originally Posted by LHS View Post
    Considering nothing in my gun safe would put a dent in either an APC or a real tank, they might as well all be tanks to me
    Yes, but that discarded wine bottle and some rags and gasoline in your garage can stop one!

http://youtu.be/r6Eaqfi6gZg

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    Yes, but that discarded wine bottle and some rags and gasoline in your garage can stop one!

http://youtu.be/r6Eaqfi6gZg
    Would a modern MBT stand up to that kind of barrage of Molotovs? That seemed like a fair few flying at it.

Ukraine just called up its reserves, so it looks like the "armed men" are about to get some company.

Would a modern MBT stand up to that kind of barrage of Molotovs? That seemed like a fair few flying at it.
    I wouldn't want to try.

Historically tanks have been taken out by Molotovs, but unlike that BTR, they would still maintain a large degree of mobility as well as the ability to fire as they were burning. Once you engulf the vehicle in flames of burning fuel, it starves the engine of oxygen and you got your mobility kill. If you can box it in and kill its mobility, you can just let it burn and try to stay out of its gun arcs and away from its friends which will be trying to help. Modern fire suppression systems like the Abrams have would most likely keep the crew alive and prevent a catastrophic kill even if the tank lost mobility. The crew getting out in one piece after the fact would be the trick however - most modern MBTs do not have any way of egress besides the top hatches (Merkava is on only I know of that does - it has a big rear door) As far as Russian tanks go, a lot less emphasis is placed on crew survivability but the more modern T80 and the T90 do have active suppression systems.

It is hard to tell exactly what happened to that BTR. Looks like it tried to breach a barricade which looks to have been a trap set up for it. The Russian model military puts a lot of emphasis on tank hunting/killing so I have little doubt there were guys in the opposition who knew just what to do. BTRs are one of the thinner skinned vehicles out there as well so I imagine things got pretty hot inside for the crew pretty quick and getting out wasn't going to be easy in that situation.

Superb (IMO) article on "being Putin". http://www.newrepublic.com/article/1...o-wont-do-much
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Site Supporter
    We should invade Cuba.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Unless you live in a teepee, this is probably an incorrect assumption. Not only can you make explosives at home, but EFPs as well.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

User Tag List