Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Low, Left and in Sympathy

Low, Left and in Sympathy

Recently, I participated in a steel challenge at my local range. During the 1st round of the second stage, I could not hit the broad side of a barn. Thank goodness for the throw-away round! The next 4 rounds of the stage went fine as I simply slowed down to get the hits.

Later, I was whining about the meltdown to some friends and the RO who happened to run me during that particular stage joined the conversation. The RO said he thought I was pushing low, left.

I was anticipating the shot?? , I asked.

Actually, he said… I think the middle and ring finger on your trigger hand are moving in sympathy with your trigger finger. You’re dipping the gun as your squeeze the trigger.

If this is actually what’s happening, what is the best way to address the problem?

You might be gripping the gun too hard with your firing hand.

If that's what's actually happening.

Dry fire - specifically the wall drill - make sure, though that you work on pulling the trigger as fast as you do during a match.

Dry fire, dry fire, dry fire.

I used to hit pretty far to the left/low until I began to dry fire regularly and eventually purchased a SIRT trainer.

Of course my new duty gun, a Glock 22, does actually shoot far left- to the point that the rear sight has been drifted all the way to the right to compensate.

Run some form of dry fire practice every day and see how you progress. Additionally, have an accomplished shooter run your gun to rule out a hardware issue.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffJ View Post
    make sure, though that you work on pulling the trigger as fast as you do during a match
    +1

Dry Practice Misconceptions

Site Supporter
    How do you place the finger on the trigger? Pad or knuckle? Pad is good, knuckle is not the best. Pad on the trigger, pull straight back without moving the sights.

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    How do you place the finger on the trigger? Pad or knuckle? Pad is good, knuckle is not the best. Pad on the trigger, pull straight back without moving the sights.
    Pad on the trigger.

I have the dry fire wrong. I am sure I am not dry firing at match speed. That is a great point! Thanks.

I suspect that when I try to really push the speed, I am yanking the trigger. I do not doubt my entire trigger hand is changing pressure as I let off the trigger and then press the next shot.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffJ View Post
    Dry fire - specifically the wall drill - make sure, though that you work on pulling the trigger as fast as you do during a match.
    Wall drill it is...and at speed. Thank you.

When I had this problem, it took years to overcome. A very wise instructor finally diagnosed me. It was my breathing. I was holding my breath through the shot or string of shots and it cause me to build up so much tension I would anticipate. Once I focused on exhaling prior to the shot, I was much more relaxed and anticipated less.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcrawf1 View Post
    When I had this problem, it took years to overcome. A very wise instructor finally diagnosed me. It was my breathing. I was holding my breath through the shot or string of shots and it cause me to build up so much tension I would anticipate. Once I focused on exhaling prior to the shot, I was much more relaxed and anticipated less.
    That's an interesting point. I find that I shoot better if I take a few deep breaths before I signal that I am ready to begin a stage. Then I will exhale as I wait for the buzzer. Of course, the buzzer is a BIG eraser... and I forget everything once it goes off!

As with most things in life, it's better to relax and breathe. I'll try to pay more attention to this...Thanks.

User Tag List