Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New blog - something original - Safari time!

Quote Originally Posted by LHS View Post
    Well, y'all went and gave me an idea for a new blog post.

http://safariprep.blogspot.com/2014/...d-hunting.html
    I am not a big hunter but I have been to Africa twice on hunting safaris (Zambia and Namibia). The first time with some friends and the second time on my own. The experiences on both trips were so awesome and out of this world that if I came back without importing any trophies I would just be fine. Trust me, over there no animal goes to waste. You (or somebody) will eat everything and use everything that is taken. Please feel free to IM me if you have any questions or need reference materials (ie books, travel tips, etc). BTW, I don't recall ever seeing a honey badger over there. Terrifyingly huge elephants yes; badgers...no.

Thanks for all the tips and references folks. I figure I can never hear too much about it. Different folks have different experiences, and they all bring something to the table, especially for someone like me who's never taken the plunge.

New post up, reviewing Boddington's "Buffalo!"

http://safariprep.blogspot.com/2014/...oddington.html

Site Supporter
    This blog scratches my learning itch! I love the work, the only thing I'd advise is... Be yourself. Don't get caught up with the visibility of your blog, and stay true to yourself. Be careful of catering to the audience, or it will suck the life out of your blog. Write as comes naturally. I enjoy it! Fascinating material to me as a non-hunter.

I enjoy shooting, I think I'd enjoy hunting. I just don't know if I'd like it enough to invest in it. I enjoy reading hunting accounts, one of the best articles I ever read was on hunters hunting lions on the African Safari.

This blog re-ignites that interest.

Quote Originally Posted by BWT View Post
    This blog scratches my learning itch! I love the work, the only thing I'd advise is... Be yourself. Don't get caught up with the visibility of your blog, and stay true to yourself. Be careful of catering to the audience, or it will suck the life out of your blog. Write as comes naturally. I enjoy it! Fascinating material to me as a non-hunter.

I enjoy shooting, I think I'd enjoy hunting. I just don't know if I'd like it enough to invest in it. I enjoy reading hunting accounts, one of the best articles I ever read was on hunters hunting lions on the African Safari.

I grew up hunting and love it. I won't invest big $$$ and just take my sport guns up into the national forest and enjoy the hunt in a remote area. Mostly non-productive from a game getting stand point but it's hunting and I love it.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by BWT View Post

Thanks for the kind words! If you really want to get your juices going, I would heartily suggest either Capstick's "Death in the Long Grass" (man I need to review that book, I think) or Ruark's "Horn of the Hunter".

Loving the blog so far, LHS. Side note and tangentially related, I know there are traditional African calibers, but how would a .45-70 do for < 200 yard shots? Seems to me it would work well, but I have no experience with African game.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911guy View Post
    Yeah, but you look like a tactical hobo in flip flops.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    A world without violence is about as likely as a world where I get to, um, "date" at least 3 A-list actresses and/or supermodels every single day. Ain't happening.

Quote Originally Posted by will_1400 View Post
    Loving the blog so far, LHS. Side note and tangentially related, I know there are traditional African calibers, but how would a .45-70 do for < 200 yard shots? Seems to me it would work well, but I have no experience with African game.
    Most plains game you can take with a 30-06 with a heavy for caliber bullet (ie >180 gr). So a 45-70 would be cool. I don't know about bigger or tougher animals like a zebra, eland or the like. Also 300 yd shots may have to be taken. For cape buffalo....I took a .458 Lott (500 grain bullet @ 2260 f/s).

I've heard of people hot rodding the .45-70 in a Ruger #1, but then you're limited to a single shot. Otherwise I don't think you've got the throat for the heavier bullets.

Also, for the South African folks here, is there any truth to a rumor I heard that lever guns are verboten for hunting there?

No such thing, lever guns are legal for hunting. Caliber will determine what species are allowed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

User Tag List