Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New blog - something original - Safari time!

New blog - something original - Safari time!

A new blog that been a lot of fun so far. You may recognize the author. I'm diggin' it.

http://safariprep.blogspot.com/2014/...ember-ive.html
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

That's good stuff. I note Tam already found him. Hope GJM drops by -- I'd call him first if I was thinking about Africa.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Very cool!

Clearly, the man wishes to have his own honey badger on display.

Thanks for the kind words, folks. This is going to be a kind of stream-of-consciousness blog, with my thoughts of what, how and why I'm doing what I'm doing. I'll probably also throw in things that inspired me to set up this safari (including book reviews of some classic Africana), and a lot of little things that I experience along the way. I'm hoping to get some input from folks like GJM who have been there and done that.

And yes, I want a honey badger on display...

Are we talking about shooting one for a mount? (honey badger) lol
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by LHS View Post
    ....(including book reviews of some classic Africana)...
    FYI, there are free Kindle versions of several of the classics up on Amazon.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    FYI, there are free Kindle versions of several of the classics up on Amazon.
    Awesome! I'll see if I can steal my wife's old Kindle and pull them down.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Are we talking about shooting one for a mount? (honey badger) lol
    Yup, I want my own little Stanley.

Quote Originally Posted by LHS View Post
    Yup, I want my own little Stanley.
    You could put a dog collar on him, with a tag that says "RLTW".

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    You could put a dog collar on him, with a tag that says "RLTW".
    In all seriousness, though, I'm somewhat torn on the subject of taxidermy. To me, ethical hunting comes in one of three forms: meat, dangerous game, and pest control. I'll eat the antelope I'll shoot, and going up against a lion or elephant or buffalo on its home turf at least gives the critter a fighting chance. The badger is none of these. There's also my belief that, as a living creature, it deserves a certain level of respect. I would have no issue displaying a completely fake statue of Stanley the Honey Badger, but I think there's something inherently disrespectful about taking a living badger, shooting it, and making it into a joke display piece. Ergo, while I may crack a joke or two about having a real Stanley, I can't see myself actually going through with it.

I've never been a big taxidermy fan in general. I've never mounted any of my whitetails. I have eaten them all and used their antlers for projects, or given them to friends who use them to make knife hilts and coat buttons, and I see that as keeping parts of the animal from going to waste. That said, I can see the value in taxidermy as a reminder of a significant and meaningful event. To see the animal, especially rendered in a realistic pose, is to flash back to the warm memory of the hunt itself, and perhaps recapture some little flash of the adrenaline and majesty. In that sense, when the taxidermy is a tribute to the animal and the chase, rather than a trophy hanging on the wall to brag about one's own prowess, I can get behind it.

User Tag List