Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Rash of Shield .40 Kabooms?

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell, Esq. View Post
    Is anyone really "operator" enough for a blog in .40S&W?
    I'm aspiring for 40S&W +P status myself.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    Anyone who thinks the Glock kB! thing was made up is crazy. I personally witnessed a stock Glock shooting factory 9mm ammo kB! because older guns could and would fire slightly out of battery under the wrong unlucky circumstances. There were a bunch of bad theories put forth and no doubt it didn't happen as often as the internet made it sound but there was a very real issue.
    Oh I know it was real. I was present when a G17 kaboomed on wwb. I was merely making a prediction of the over exaggerated frequency which will likely ensue in the months to come.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Wow, I thought this wasn't going to get much action...

I agree the Underwood ammo could be to blame, however as another poster stated, the S&W forum has had a number of KB's with other factory ammo.

I don't have a .40 shield, so I have no dog in the fight. I asked here because the level of discussion is usually higher than other forums I read ;-)

Glocks kaboom...S&W Shields kaboom...

I have both, I guess I'm screwed...unless I use factory ammo loaded to same levels, keep up maintenance and generally don't try to push the gun into any pressure or wear levels for which it's not designed...

I've seen on another forum, some Shield .40 KB pics, so it is happening. I have the Shield 9, and there isn't much in the way of case head support. I've noticed some mild case head bulge on some fired brass. These were Remingtion GS 147, Hydra-Shok 147, and Winny Ranger-T 147. There is no way I will run +p in my gun for that reason alone.

I'm sure the case head support is just as poor on the Shield .40 as it is the 9.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    I have to say that I have gone from being a squeeing .40-cal fangirl back in the mid-Nineties* to being pretty well completely cooled off on the chambering now.

*True Fact: The first pistol I bought after I started working at the gun store was a stainless Ruger P-91DAO. I could not hit a barn from the inside with the door closed with that thing. Of course, I wasn't much better with the Glock 23 that replaced it...
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Any particular rounds you do suggest for a shield in 9mm?

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    I have to say that I have gone from being a squeeing .40-cal fangirl back in the mid-Nineties* to being pretty well completely cooled off on the chambering now.
    Ditto. Except for the girl part.

Quote Originally Posted by jkurtz7 View Post
    I've seen on another forum, some Shield .40 KB pics, so it is happening. I have the Shield 9, and there isn't much in the way of case head support. I've noticed some mild case head bulge on some fired brass. These were Remingtion GS 147, Hydra-Shok 147, and Winny Ranger-T 147. There is no way I will run +p in my gun for that reason alone.

I'm sure the case head support is just as poor on the Shield .40 as it is the 9.
    Probably.

In this specific case however, I'd lay the blame at the feet of whoever thought it was a good idea to shoot 10mm Auto out of a .40 S&W pocket gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell, Esq. View Post
    Any particular rounds you do suggest for a shield in 9mm?
    Is your question directed to me? If so, I'm carrying Winny RA9T in my Shield until I can get some HST 147 standard pressure.

User Tag List