Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Holder: Let ex-felons vote again... Pleeeaase

Holder: Let ex-felons vote again... Pleeeaase

So, I guess this is the next attempt to ensure success in the face of voter fraud allegations and proposed voter ID laws.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014...ntcmp=obinsite

Across this country today, an estimated 5.8 million Americans -- 5.8 million of our fellow citizens -- are prohibited from voting because of current or previous felony convictions,"
    snip

Now into his fifth year as attorney general and hinting that this year might be his last,
    One can only hope it's his last year. I wonder if he is also considering restoring 2A rights to said convicted felons too.

Typos brought to you by my DROID... and my apathy.
    If you can't taste the sarcasm, try licking the screen.

Gettin’ old and blind ain’t for sissies. ~ 41Magfan

More Democrat voters...

We are diminished
    If you cannot legally be trusted with a firearm under federal law, why would you be trusted with franchise?

And if you can't be trusted with either of those, why are you not still in prison?

Quote Originally Posted by john556 View Post
    And if you can't be trusted with either of those, why are you not still in prison?
    Because in the criminal justice system only the criminals get the justice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post
    Because in the criminal justice system only the criminals get the justice.
    LOL Funny... and sadly, true all too often.

A lot of people don't share this opinion, but if you're out a prison, you should be able to vote or own a gun.

If you're a violent felon, then you shouldn't be out of prison.
    Quote Originally Posted by montanadave
    My wife has already written my obituary which, in part, attributes my death to complications from my second penis reduction surgery.

It's my opinion that there should be a clearly defined term of probation after release from imprisonment for felony crime(s) to watch for recidivism. A minimum of 2 years seems right, ranging up to the full theoretical length of the sentence you most likely didn't actually serve for violent crimes.

If you make it through probation without incident, then your 2A and voting rights are restored, and you don't have to answer "yes" to "convicted felon?" when applying for a job unless you are permanently barred from working in a particular field per the terms of your conviction & release.

Just my $0.02.
    Looking for a gun blog with AARs, gear reviews, and the occasional random tangent written by a hardcore geek? trevoronthetrigger.wordpress.com/
    Latest post: The Rogers Shooting School Experience (15 Jul 2014)

I could get behind something like that Trevor. I would also like to see those released be required to make some kind of restitution to victims and/or their families, where practical, even if it's partial, in order to "earn back" those rights. You could also throw in a fee schedule for repayment of services provided by Public Defenders. Why should tax payers bear the full burden for everyone all the time?

Site Supporter
    First thought is that I might be able to get behind some sort of amnesty for non-violent offenders.
    But then I think about guys like Madoff and Martha Stewart. Why would they be deserving of amnesty?

Committing felonies with intent (even non-violent ones) should earn you a permaban.
    Amnesty for flypaper felonies is open for consideration. The problem becomes... Who decides what defines a flypaper conviction?
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

User Tag List