Page 47 of 49 FirstFirst ... 374546474849 LastLast

Thread: Just when you thought that IDPA was done with the stupid ideas...

Quote Originally Posted by OrigamiAK View Post
    There are lots of finer points to the rules that I don't know about, but isn't USPSA more inclusive of a broader variety of pistols, since it allows proper race guns, stock guns, and formerly-stock guns with some modification, in one Division or another? It's definitely more inclusive of certain ancillary equipment that is associated with some legitimate practices of duty and concealed carry in the 21st century: lasers, mini-RDS, WML, and AIWB carry.

That all centers around equipment, but I think there is more to it than that.

A person new to USPSA can be taught expectations of when and where to gunhandle on the range, the 180 rule, the existence of fault lines, the basic scoring system, and can then go forth and use their skills to shoot all the targets, probably without procedural penalty. That new person would have to also learn dictated tactics if trying IDPA, or probably face various procedural penalties. That seems more burdensome, not less, to a person new to competitive shooting.

I agree quite fully with this. The person with a CCW and an AIWB rig, or a pistol with a RDS, WML, or laser can find a welcome home in USPSA. Now, the RDS, laser, or WML may land that shooter in OPEN, and they will definitely be at a disadvantage, but they can still receive a score. I think that is significant. Honestly, I also feel that a CCW holder could easily use OPEN as a test bed to see what works better for them from a purely technical skill related standpoint, as they could play around a lot with their carry gear and see how it affected their match results. Maybe try with a slide mounted optic for a while, try using a laser for a while, all kinds of stuff. Heck, they could probably use them in conjunction and see what worked best for which shooting situations. And again, they can do all of this and receive a score.

I do realize that only a tiny fraction of CCW holders use this kind of gear, and that the IDPA equipment restrictions are a bit closer to what most CCW holders use (at least the ones that don't just go for a j-frame in a pocket holster route, which is probably the largest percentage).

ETA: At one club match I shot, there were two shooters on a local (to that area) SWAT team. They ran their duty guns with lasers and WML's the whole match. Now, they didn't win OPEN, there was a legit M-class Open dude there that took care of that, but they were both very good shooters to watch, and they sure as heck weren't last in the division.
    Last edited by Jared; 05-30-2014 at 06:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    I remember my first USPSA match, which was a special classifier match. I thought that 6 stages, all classifiers would be an awesome way to get my feet wet. So I showed up with a gun, like 4 mags, and 2 mag pouches. I nearly fainted when I saw that the match had 5 classifier stages and 2 large (30 round) field courses. Now, I would have been fine if I'd decided to shoot Limited, but I had my heart set on Production. The Match Director loaned me an extra mag pouch, took me under his wing for the day, and I got through okay.
    Pretty much this. If you aren't a douche people will help you out. Give you general stage plans and even coach you through the stages (yes I know it is prohibited but who cares it is a new shooter my goal is to get them to come back). If you don't have some obscure gun typically there will be someone there with extra magazines, and mag pouches.

Still though, I think one big thing that could have made IDPA an easier start is the smaller stages. I picked a classifier match to start with because I wanted to get my feet wet on smaller more straightforward stages. Those big 30 round courses did cause me a great deal of concern until I actually shot them.
    When most clubs I've shot at did classifier matches, the non-classifier stages were optional. But typically since the classifier stages are so easy to setup they have more time to do an awesome stage or two.

By
    Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post
    Cody - My intention it not to pick on you, it's simply to point out something that seems really askew. You defend IDPA like it's your first born son. IDPA is not a person or your dog, it's a game. There's no need to jump in and try to defend it against every person that says something negative about it .... you can let some stuff go.
    You are right....I can and do let some stuff go. I can let more go. Perhaps I come across more passionate in writing. But I do have my issues with IDPA as well. I see more issues now that I am MD.

I got my hands full for tomorrows match...full 6 stages and 5 stage BUG match after.
    Cody

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

...they will definitely be at a disadvantage, but they can still receive a score. I think that is significant.
    I agree, it is hugely significant to me. If I want to use certain gear that isn't as effective at producing points per second as gear I could be using, that is on me. There is a basic equality in being able to post an official score the same as everyone else.

I also feel that a CCW holder could easily use OPEN as a test bed to see what works better for them from a purely technical skill related standpoint, as they could play around a lot with their carry gear and see how it affected their match results.
    Again, I totally agree, and I believe what you express was one of the core ideas IPSC was founded on - to use competition find out what techniques and equipment worked 'best'.

Quote Originally Posted by cclaxton View Post
    I got my hands full for tomorrows match...full 6 stages and 5 stage BUG match after.
    Cody
    Good luck with your matches tomorrow Cody. Have a safe and fun time!
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post
    Cody - My intention it not to pick on you, it's simply to point out something that seems really askew. You defend IDPA like it's your first born son. IDPA is not a person or your dog, it's a game. There's no need to jump in and try to defend it against every person that says something negative about it .... you can let some stuff go.
    Amen.

I won't renew my membership.....tired of their egotistical attitudes. I'll stick with silhouette, where the object is fun, skill, and comraderie.
    Adios IDPA.

Holy thread bump batman! Since everyone is bashing idpa I guess I'll play too. I do love to complain!

I wanted to shoot it like I carry 99% of the time. IWB with my shirt 100% covering my gat and mag. This was a small local match and they pitched a fit. I have electronic ear pro and I remember shooting one of the first stages and hearing this lady (who looked just like Hilary Clinton! And that INFURIATED me even more) talk all kinds of trash about how I can't shoot like that and I have to have proper concealment gear. She was also one of the head people's wife. I think it is a JOKE!!! I've NEVER seen anyone in the wild carry wearing a $60 beretta vest.. But if I were my Real life legit carry gear to a match that is supposed to be all about concealment.. I think that is ok.

If IDPA were free and they supplied the ammo I still wouldn't show up.

Man that feels good. I haven't gotten to complain all day.

Site Supporter
    At today's IDPA match in TX, we ditched concealment because it was too hot. The match director is a national match director, so he's flexible for TX heat reality.
    Since we have open carry coming (which was univerally thought to be stupid by match participants) we made that a laughing concession. I suggested we needed a Starbucks stage. Also, folks shoot here with shirts all the time and since we have highly placed organization folks in our group, that woman is an idiot to say that there is a necessary gear requirement.

We have a great time - it's all the club. Another local club self-destructed when a set of DB officers took over.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    At today's IDPA match in TX, we ditched concealment because it was too hot. The match director is a national match director, so he's flexible for TX heat reality.
    We did this today too.

I've shot local matches with a IWB and t-shirt before. No one cared. I did get a thumbs down when I asked to shoot from appendix though. Didn't hurt to ask.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

User Tag List