Page 1 of 49 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Just when you thought that IDPA was done with the stupid ideas...

Just when you thought that IDPA was done with the stupid ideas...

They turn the range rules into basically a loyalty pledge.
    IDPA Indoor Nationals Match Participant Code of Conduct
    1. I will follow all of the safety rules of IDPA and Smith & Wesson.
    2. I will follow all commands and instructions of the Match Director, Safety Officers, and any official representative of Smith & Wesson.
    3. I have read and will abide by the rules in the current IDPA rulebook.
    4. Prior to and during the match, I will refrain from the use of alcohol, substances, or medications that may negatively impact my ability to participate safely in the match or that may impact the safety of other match participants or bystanders.
    5. I will not communicate with others in a threatening, harassing or abusive manner, and will not engage in the use of off-color remarks and jokes or profanity during the course of my participation in the match. I will not physically touch another person participating in an IDPA event without their consent unless it is necessary to address an immediate safety issue.
    6. I will treat all match participants with respect. I will not participate in any discriminatory actions or behavior against others for any reason, including, but not limited to, their IDPA classification, shooting abilities, race, sex, religion, age, disability or national origin.
    7. I will represent my sport in a professional manner through my behavior and dress, in accordance with the standards established by the Match Director and Smith & Wesson.
    8. I will refrain from disparagement or inappropriate criticism of IDPA or other shooting sports, their officials, and rules of match competition.
    9. I will always be a champion for IDPA and promote IDPA in the best light possible.
    10. I understand that the failure to follow this Code of Conduct or any other commands or instructions of the Match Director, any Safety Officers, or any official representative of Smith & Wesson may result in my disqualification or exclusion from participation in the IDPA Indoor Nationals at the sole discretion of Smith & Wesson, and may also result in the revocation of my IDPA membership.

SIGNED UNDER THE PAINS AND PENALTIES OF PERJURY THIS ____ day of February, 2014.

Signature: __________________________________
    Printed Name: _______________________________
    Witness: ___________________________________
    Under PAINS AND PENALTIES OF PERJURY they do realize that perjury doesn't apply in this case? I don't know if IDPA HQ knows that this is going on, but they are really stepping on their crank if they don't make this loyalty pledge go away.

On top of that the MDs are making their own rules:
    Flashlights:
    Flashlights are optional on all stages. There will be low/no light stages. Check the IDPA rulebook on what is legal for flashlights. S&W is of the opinion the charging of sights violates the basic premise behind concealed carry. In a street encounter, no one would have time to charge sights before dealing with a threat. A request has been sent to the rule clarification team on this issue. At this time, a clarification has not been released. S&W will not allow sights to be charged with a flashlight at the 2014 match. We feel it is best to err on the cautious side until the rule clarification is issued. Violations will result in a FTDR penalty.
    So there isn't a rule against it, so we are going to FTDR you until we pressure IDPA to make a rule against it.

Since when does "in a street encounter" matter to IDPA?

For those that care I am an active IDPA participant and RSO and I adopt their rules for an annual carbine match I host.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

We are diminished
    Cluster.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I would imagine it is either one, a joke, or two an overzealous range Natzi with a little too much control regarding the match. It is growing harder and harder to be an Ambassador for IDPA. Let me tell you.

I will not physically touch another person participating in an IDPA event without their consent unless it is necessary to address an immediate safety issue.
    I am going to wear a t-shirt that says "Free Hugs".

will not engage in the use of off-color remarks and jokes or profanity during the course of my participation in the match.
    This removes at least 75% of my match vocabulary.

LOLZ.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    Since when does "in a street encounter" matter to IDPA?
    Since they use it to falsely market themselves as the "realistic" gun-game. If they'd just drop the "D" in their name, they'd not have to keep up the riduculous pretense.

They could just go with "Here's our rules, because **** you, THAT'S why....!" and be completely legit in the decision, because it'd be infinitely more honest.

Quote Originally Posted by PPGMD View Post
    They turn the range rules into basically a loyalty pledge.
    Under PAINS AND PENALTIES OF PERJURY they do realize that perjury doesn't apply in this case? I don't know if IDPA HQ knows that this is going on, but they are really stepping on their crank if they don't make this loyalty pledge go away.
    On top of that the MDs are making their own rules:
    So there isn't a rule against it, so we are going to FTDR you until we pressure IDPA to make a rule against it.
    I wouldn't call this a loyalty pledge. I would call this a pledge to be civil and respectful.

This is a NATIONAL IDPA SANCTIONED MATCH, and we should expect people to show good behavior, be respectful, non-critical, and polite. I have no problem signing this Code of Conduct. And, I expect all my fellow competitors to follow it as well. Now, it is always possible if I screw up a stage that I might use the f-word or the s-word and the SO might overhear it. I would expect to get a warning rather than an expulsion, but I have now been warned it could be more severe. This Code also is also created to shield S&W from legal liability should someone behave badly and the victim or perpetrator sue S&W or IDPA.

IDPA (and other shooting sports for that matter) are predominantly male and white, with many coming from LE and Military and sometimes think we can behave like we are in a football locker room (although even football locker rooms are falling under the "profanity free zone" in some places). Women are more commonly in squads and working as SO's, minorities are increasingly participating, corporations like S&W who host events have their own profanity prohibitions, even some ranges have prohibitions on profanity and rude conduct. There is absolutely nothing wrong with creating an atmosphere that is civil, polite and respectful of the people who organize and host and sanction the event. If you want to criticize IDPA, there are plenty of online forums to do it. And, I am sure that IDPA staff are willing to hear feedback at the event given in a private and respectful manner. Furthermore, we are there to compete and we don't want people distracting us or rattling us to get us off our game....that is just good sportsmanship.

On the no-charging rule on flashlights. The Match Director has made this decision and it is within his rights to do so, setting aside IDPA rules. MD's have a lot of discretion in how to run the match. Just because they make this rule for the INdoor Nationals does not make it a National rule, so to suggest MD's can just make up rules is incorrect. And, it is not unreasonable to make this rule under the reasoning that S&W MD gave. Who has time to tell the perp to wait while you charge up your sights? I agree with the ruling, and I expect that IDPA will endorse it as well. The test that give each rule is: Is the rule fair to all competitors?...This rule is. Shooters have time to get tritium's added or pick a gun with tritium's on it or choose a shooting/flashlight method that works for them without tritiums.

People will find fault with ANY sport, from football to Olympic shooting. But good sportsmanship is universal to every one. The playing field should be fair and clear of distractions and diversions and inappropriate behavior. That is what IDPA and S&W are doing. And, most USPSA matches and clubs often have similar codes of conduct. Reference rule 10.6.2 which says you may be expelled for "behavior likely to bring the sport into disrepute."

I would encourage you to think about what you are really proposing: To do away with a Code of Conduct and allow disrespectful and rude behavior and criticizing a sport at a National event of which you are a participant....that alternative makes no sense.
    Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

We are diminished
    Seriously, whoever came up with this is nuts. It's a freaking pistol match, not a lifetime service commitment. I'd cancel my slot if I had one.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    Seriously, whoever came up with this is nuts. It's a freaking pistol match, not a lifetime service commitment. I'd cancel my slot if I had one.
    I'm damn near close to dropping my membership and canceling our club's affiliation.

Did you guys catch the Code of Conduct Sections of the new rule book?

03.22. IDPA Shooter Responsibilities and Code of Conduct
    By shooting IDPA Matches, I agree to the following:
    3.22.1. I understand that it is a privilege, and not a right, to be an IDPA Shooter.
    3.22.2. I will follow all of the safety rules of IDPA and the host range. The safety of the shooters, match officials, and bystanders shall always be my primary objective.
    3.22.3. Prior to and during a match, I will refrain from the use of alcohol, substances, or medications that may negatively impact my ability to shoot safely.
    3.22.4. I will maintain a current IDPA membership after my first match.
    3.22.5. I will maintain an accurate Classification by shooting a Classifier at least every 12 months. (Unless a Master or Distinguished Master Classification is attained, or a Match Performance Promotion has occurred in the last 12 months.)
    3.22.6. I recognize that it is my responsibility to maintain a working knowledge of the current IDPA rulebook.
    3.22.7. I will adhere to the IDPA purpose and principles and will not willfully break any IDPA rule.
    3.22.8. I will listen carefully and refrain from talking during shooters’ briefings and stage briefings.
    3.22.9. I understand it is my responsibility to be ready to shoot when called to the line.
    3.22.10. I understand it is my duty to help reset stages between shooters unless I am the current shooter, the on-deck shooter or have just finished shooting.
    3.22.11. I will not communicate with others in a threatening, harassing, or abusive manner.
    3.22.12. It is my responsibility to check my match scores within the verification period to see that they are correct.
    3.22.13. It is my responsibility to check my Classifications in the on-line database to verify that they are correct and to initiate corrective action if they are not correct.
    3.22.14. If I have a question or an issue, my first contact is with the CSO at the match, then the MD, then the AC, then IDPA HQ.
    3.22.15. I understand that violations of these responsibilities and code of conduct may result in my disqualification from a match, and/or revocation of my IDPA membership

The S&W oath, decree, or whatever it is isn't too far off from this.

User Tag List