Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: 9mm HST3 124gr +P ATK Bare Gel testing

I shot 100rds lawman 147 yesterday It has a lot more recoil than the lawman 124gr !

Enough I was glad I ran out.

I may even use the standard 124gr HST for SD . Or if surgery works out I may try the +P

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I shot 100rds lawman 147 yesterday It has a lot more recoil than the lawman 124gr !

Enough I was glad I ran out.

I may even use the standard 124gr HST for SD . Or if surgery works out I may try the +P
    I bought some +P 124 gold dots yesterday @ $24.99/box of 50. Also bought 124 HST's standard PSI for $22.99/box of 50. I asked about +P HST's and they stated they haven't seen any. Only recently have the +P gold dots shown up. Why are +P varieties so hard to find?

Secondly, looking at ATK/LE webpage none of the 124's (standard psi nor +P) penetrate a minimum of 12 inches on bare gelatin but do better in other tests. Is getting a +P variety really worth it?

In the Gold Dot I would say yes. We have been using that 124gr +P for a long time. Both function and terminal effects are enhanced IMHO by using the +P version.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    In the Gold Dot I would say yes. We have been using that 124gr +P for a long time. Both function and terminal effects are enhanced IMHO by using the +P version.
    What makes you say so? More reliable and larger expansion, or something else you have noticed? Anecdote is fine, I'm just curious what influenced your opinion.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Testing by Doc, the IWBA and the FBI, and observation of autopsies from our OISs

Bare gel is IMHO an acid test for over expansion and bullet failure. I have never seen one of our Gold Dot bullets pulled from a person that looked like a bare gel shot, they all look like the heavy clothing/4LD tests (except for bullets that have gone through glass and such). We have had OISs with suspect wearing crazy layers of clothing, like a coat over Carharts over a hoody over a flannel over Long Johns over a T-shirt...., we've never had a failure to expand in a real shooting.

Cool, thanks Chuck.

A major reason I run 124gr + P Gold Dot is related to ease of supply a while back. I've always been impressed with how hot they load the 124 standard and + P Gold Dot. The standard pressure lot I have chronographs at the factory spec for + P (1220 fps) and the various lots of + P that I've got have chronographed about 1275 to 1310 fps. And as you have noted, it runs the gun pretty briskly.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

User Tag List