Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 9mm HST3 124gr +P ATK Bare Gel testing

9mm HST3 124gr +P ATK Bare Gel testing

I was looking at the ATK gel testing and in Bare Gel the HST 124+P P = 10inches ?

I recently bought a 9mm and was wanting to use / try this load.? ( if I can find it LOL)

Wondering what specs the Dr. got when he tested the HST 124+P

Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

I should of looked harder!

Thanks again

I prefer the 147gr load for three reasons. It has a deeper hollow point cavity which is more resistant to plugging, the expanded bullet is longer than an expanded 124gr bullet and bullets often tumble in tissue, and it is faster shooting than 124gr+P.
    Last edited by Symmetry; 02-08-2014 at 07:08 PM.

A lot of guys here use the 147gr HST.

I prefer the +P 124gr myself ! For the extra slide velocity and reliability . I want my pistol to feed! I also keep hearing the P30 prefers the 124loads best. (I do have 2 different 147 ball loads to test.)

Although the 124gr HST +P only P 10inches in BG per ATK testing

It did well in Heavy Clothing

124+P P= 13.00 EX = .610

147gr P= 12.50 EX = .690

They both had the same amount of P in Auto Glass.

I do know that Todd uses the same load also. But I don't know his reasoning behind it.

I will carry 147gr, but I prefer the 124gr +Ps due to the bit of extra boost those tend to give the gun in slide function when things aren't perfect, like if you are shooting one handed from the ground with an imperfect grip.

It's what's in my gun right now, but after rereading the new ammo thread I am on the hunt for some 135g stuff.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    A lot of guys here use the 147gr HST.

I prefer the +P 124gr myself ! For the extra slide velocity and reliability . I want my pistol to feed! I also keep hearing the P30 prefers the 124loads best. (I do have 2 different 147 ball loads to test.)
    Some P30s tend to be stiff when brand new and short stroke on powder-puff 115gr loads. After the RSA breaks in, they're usually fine eating anything. So, the recommendation is to shoot some ammo on the stout end of the spectrum for the first 500 rounds if the gun exhibits problems with soft 115gr loads.

It will run 147gr just fine. 147gr will also give an strong recoil impulse to help the slide along in bad situations, if that's a concern. Remember, the P7 is not suppose to be fired with 147gr exactly because of that strong impulse, yet it can shoot 124gr +p. So, I don't think you're gaining anything reliability wise with the 124gr.

The 124gr and 147gr HST are for all measurable purposes equivalent. At this point, just go with what gives you a warm and fuzzy, what you can afford, and buy in quantity. For me, that's the 147gr...just because heavier loads give me a warm'n'fuzzy. (phrasing!)

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    It's what's in my gun right now, but after rereading the new ammo thread I am on the hunt for some 135g stuff.
    The Tactical Bonded line? Yeah, I've been thinking about that too. Both times I've established a master grip, I would have had to shoot through auto glass. Previously, I had thought, "Oh, barriers. Whatever. That's mostly a cop thing." Kinda woke me up, especially since the one instance I was carrying a J-frame with the Remington 158gr soft lead hollowpoint.....pretty much the worst round possible to shoot through a barrier with.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

We are diminished
    May have told this before, but many years ago I was doing some stuff with Salt Lake County Sheriffs and they had an incident where an officer fired a 135gr +p Federal Tactical at someone charging him head on in a car. The perpetrator ducked his head as the Deputy's gun came out and the round went through the windshield, through the skull, and through multiple vertebrae before said perpetrator was no longer able to duck, drive, breathe, or otherwise nuisance anyone ever again.

I will nonetheless remain a believer in the fairy dust of speed and stick to the 124+p HST to hedge bets.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    The Tactical Bonded line? Yeah, I've been thinking about that too. Both times I've established a master grip, I would have had to shoot through auto glass.
    That, and I live in a town with 16" thick felons.
    Ignore Alien Orders

User Tag List