Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: 9mm HST3 124gr +P ATK Bare Gel testing

If anyone knows of a source for P9HST3, I'd be much obliged for the lead. I've been watching the ammo search engines for 2 months now and I have yet to see any HST3 show up.
    Looking for a gun blog with AARs, gear reviews, and the occasional random tangent written by a hardcore geek? trevoronthetrigger.wordpress.com/
    Latest post: The Rogers Shooting School Experience (15 Jul 2014)

We are diminished
    It gets built in lots and probably only 3-4 times per year. If it's what you really Must Have I'd suggest laying in multiple cases at once and just considering it a lifetime (or semi lifetime) investment.

FWIW, I'd also use 124gr +p Gold Dot absolutely without question if finding P9HST was a problem but the GD was available. As much as the HST might look slightly better on paper, NYPD and other 9mm departments have shot so many people using 124gr +p GD to excellent effect that it's probably the most proven load out there.

I have obtained a small but sufficient supply of 147gr PDX1 for the new gun, such that I have enough to function test plus fill carry mags. My interest in the 124gr +P HST was for small quantity testing.

I know it's not the cool-kid +P stuff, but I'm actually pretty likely to standardize on 147gr HST (Doc approved!) when I can find a case or two. Call me silly, but I like shooting the same weight for carry, competition and range ammo when practical.

ETA: I have also ordered a small quantity of 147gr Gold Dot, just in case.
    Looking for a gun blog with AARs, gear reviews, and the occasional random tangent written by a hardcore geek? trevoronthetrigger.wordpress.com/
    Latest post: The Rogers Shooting School Experience (15 Jul 2014)

[QUOTE=ToddG;200010]I is not engineer type. At all. /QUOTE]

Same here.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTrevor View Post
    If anyone knows of a source for P9HST3, I'd be much obliged for the lead. I've been watching the ammo search engines for 2 months now and I have yet to see any HST3 show up.
    I swear every time I see the 124+P in stock I don't have the cash. And of coarse when I have the money its out of stock.

I cant afford buying cases of ammo anymore I'm just to poor.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTrevor View Post
    I have obtained a small but sufficient supply of 147gr PDX1 for the new gun, such that I have enough to function test plus fill carry mags. My interest in the 124gr +P HST was for small quantity testing.

I know it's not the cool-kid +P stuff, but I'm actually pretty likely to standardize on 147gr HST (Doc approved!) when I can find a case or two. Call me silly, but I like shooting the same weight for carry, competition and range ammo when practical.

ETA: I have also ordered a small quantity of 147gr Gold Dot, just in case.
    147gr HST seems like one the very best 9mm loads out there. I'm in the 124gr + p camp too, but if circumstances roped me into 147gr HST instead, I don't think I'd be very concerned about it.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

I am very happy with the 124gr +P Gold Dot, but I'd seriously carry anything on Doc's list, and even a few that aren't on the list, and lose zero sleep over the matter.

One of the things I took to heart most out of DocGKR's thread regarding ammunition testing was this statement: "pick the one that you shoot most accurately" which varies gun to gun for me. My P226 & 229 shoot POA/POI with 124 HST +P, my M&P9 shoots POA/POI with HST 147, so I have both. I'd rather be able to accurately hit my target then really start getting into the "what ifs", because if I can't hit what I'm aiming at then overall function is moot.

FWIW I've had success buying 500/1000 round quantities of said rounds off gunbroker and I was able to keep the cost down to what I'd wager as normal or in the $.65-$.70 per round range.

Since the real engineers are busy polishing SIGs and chasing toddlers, I'll put in briefly that unless we're talking P7s chamber pressure is not very relevant. Momentum -- recoil -- is the whole story, but remember that momentum is delivered over time. Thus, two loads can have the same power factor and different effects on cycling behavior.

And Byron will correct me if I'm wrong.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Site Supporter
    http://www.surplusammo.com/9mm-124-g...cal-50-rounds/

I haven't used them before,!but it was in stock. A little high though.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I swear every time I see the 124+P in stock I don't have the cash. And of coarse when I have the money its out of stock.

I cant afford buying cases of ammo anymore I'm just to poor.
    ETA: I didn't quote the user I wanted.

User Tag List