Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Salomon XA 3D Ultra GTX - Owners step within...

Salomon XA 3D Ultra GTX - Owners step within...

I'm looking for some new running shoes for the colder temps. I have been using the ND Minimus since this summer but they're too cool this time of the year. I've read up on the Salomon XA 3D GTXs and I'm impressed with them. The primary complaints seem to be price and lacing system. I can live with the price because they're GoreTex and appear solidly made. Reportedly, the lacing system has been improved for 2012 by adding a plastic loop to prevent fraying of the first outside lace loop. I've got buddies with similarly laced Salomon's who say worry not and other's who broke laces in short order so I'm kind of unsure what to expect. I went to a retailer and tried a couple pairs on. I traditionaly wear a size 9.5-10 in most running shoes, depending on brand and style. The Salomon 10 felt a bit big in the heel and toe box. The 9.5 felt perfect with just enough toe room but were slightly tight. A 9.75 would be ideal if such a thing existed! After a brief walk around the store and a couple staircase sprints the 9.5 felt good while in the 10 my foot felt like it was moving around a bit.

I've decided on this shoe but I'm stuck on the sizing. I think the 9.5 will loosen up a bit but I fear the 10 will be too big. Any advice?

What kind of experiences have you guys had with these shoes/brand? Durability? How did you size yours, smaller, true, or larger?

Thanks, any info is appreciated.

I have two pairs of the Salomon XA Comp 6 GTX Trail running shoes over here, and they are, by far, the best running/fitness shoes I've ever used.

They are durable, lightweight and oh so comfortable. The lace loop is also a nice feature- you just adjust the tightness to your liking and tuck the retainer in the top of your laces. This feature makes it almost impossible for the ever annoying laces coming undone when running to ______.
    Salomons are cut generously- mine are size 13's and I still have some room in them (handy for winter socks for 3AM runs).

As you know, they are not inexpensive either.

All said, Salomon makes some outstanding footwear that deserves your serious consideration.

Hope this helps.

I have worn the Mid version of the XA Pro's since May of this year. On the "Pro's" side....They are plenty wide for my wide feet. They were the most comfortable pair of light hikers I have ever owned.

On the "Con's" side....The lacing system does suck. I am on my third pair of laces in 7 months. Luckily, extra sets of the Salomon laces are available online thru REI and a few other retailers.

In my opinion, the durability sucks. The soles on mine are worn almost completely bald and the soles are starting to fall apart.

To be fair, I have worn them daily for everything. Work (Plainclothes LE), range duty, going to the mall, taking out the garbage, everything, and not for trail running so your milage may vary....

I'm a big XA fan. I run 10 miles a day every day and have never had an issues with the laces. Although when I first got them I was definitely skeptical. I'm a size 12, and every pair of Salomons I own have been true to size (two pairs of XA's and one pair of Quest 4D boots).

What temperatures are you running in? I ask because I'm in Alaska and my GTX get a little hot when I'm running in anything above 15 degrees. Also the GTX are a lot more stiff than the non-GTX and they don't feel as comfortable to me. If there's snow on the ground (which in Alaska is basically October through May) I always wear the GTX.

Here are my summer shoes and winter GTX shoes with MicroSpikes on them...

"A good shooter with a weak body and weak mind will lose against one who has the physical ability to crush him, and the mental ability to do it repeatedly"
    -Kyle Defoor

Thanks for the replies. The responses on the laces are basically what I've heard from the users I've spoken to, some had problems others didn't. It is comforting to know laces are available if need be. I think I'm going to try the 9.5 again if they fit true. I normally wear a 10 but in these particular shoes I felt like I was going to step out of them even with the laces tight. The 9.5 was spot on with a little snugness in the forefoot area. That's normally how new shoes fit my feet prior to breaking in.

F-Trooper05, you put things in perspective. Your Alaskan winter is much more severe than my Appalachain climate. My coldest winter AM run MIGHT be in the 20s and for that reason alone will be a shorter duration run. I may reconsider the GTX option, food for thought. The weather proofing the GTX offers will be welcome to keep the wet out but they might be a tad on the warm side.

We are diminished
    I have a pair of the Mids and thought they were the shizzle until last week. Something about them started to irritate my ankle bone (the protrusion that sticks outward) and by the end of the day it was so bad I was walking around with just one shoe on because the other was too painful to bear. Now a week later, I still can't wear it without substantial pain.

UPDATE:
    I decided to go with the XA 3D Ultra GTX and I'm really liking them. I decided to be a dork (wife's opinion) and immediately wear them out of the store. I've had them on for about 12.5 hours and they feel great. I can tell they are already starting to wear in and loosen up a tad. I was primarily worried as I seemed to be in between sizes. I went with a 9.5 instead of a 10 and they fit snug but not tight. The snuggness has relaxed as I've worn them throughout the day. I tried the size 10 again and it was obviously too big and my heel moved with each step even though the laces were tight. In the decision process I learned an interesting fact; my right foot is slightly longer and wider than my left foot so I have to remember to favor my right foot when buying shoes in the future.

Thanks again for the advice. I'll try to remember to update this thread as I put some wear and tear on the Salomons and let you guys know how they're holding up.

Purchased the XA Pro 3D Ultra 2 GTX in hopes of replacing my Nike Free Run+ 3 for daily wear. I was mostly interested in decreased breathability, water resistance, and the lacing system. No local retailers stock my size, and there were conflicting reports as to whether these shoes run large or true-to-size, so I took a gamble and ordered my normal size online. Initial impression is that the shoe is quite stiff and will require careful break-in to minimize development of hot spots in the forefoot area. The heel is a bit loose and the arch is more anterior than I am accustomed to, which may be an indicator that I should have ordered a smaller size. Forefoot is tight, toe-box height is low-medium. First thing I did with the shoes was go inspect a construction site. After 2 hours, it felt like I had been on my feet all day carrying extra weight, and 4 hours after taking them off, my feet are still protesting. Not a good start so far, but hopefully in a few weeks the shoes will feel better.

I've got big feet - 13, pretty wide. I've tried to like Salomon products because they seem to work for a lot of other folks...

I switched to La Sportiva shoes and have been really impressed - price point has been close. Some of the models are goofy with access to laces, but I've been impressed by the fitment.

I've been wearing the shoes below for almost a year now. I'm no mileage monster, they've held up real well. I completed a Tough Mudder last October, and they did admirablely, despite the mud and water.

Salomon Men's XA PRO 3D Ultra 2 Trail Running Shoe

User Tag List