Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Jeep Dealership Folks?

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Does your Forester burn oil?
    The wife got an 06 forester last year to replace her 00 forester.

on the '00 Forester we did the head gastkets at 230K miles. because they're weak in that year.
    the '06 has been strong and hasn't started burning oil. but it is something I keep an eye on.

and Tori Amos sounds awesome in it.

I have a buddy (friend of the forum so to speak) that had a '12 that burned oil and his dealership told him that was normal.
    #RESIST

Ugh. I just made the mistake of Googling 'normal engine oil consumption'. The only thing worse than the average gun forum is the average car forum. Soooo much stupid out there!

The only opinion I have on new Jeeps is that I don't like the front-end styling of the new Cherokee, and I couldn't stand the feel of the steering wheel of the new Cherokee I sat in recently.

Quote Originally Posted by FOUR View Post
    The wife got an 06 forester last year to replace her 00 forester.

on the '00 Forester we did the head gastkets at 230K miles. because they're weak in that year.
    the '06 has been strong and hasn't started burning oil. but it is something I keep an eye on.

and Tori Amos sounds awesome in it.
    I will watch that. I racked up 33K miles in my first 12 mos with the Forester so it won't take all that long (230K).
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    I have a buddy (friend of the forum so to speak) that had a '12 that burned oil and his dealership told him that was normal.
    My Charger used about a quart of oil between normally scheduled changes. Perfectly normal for the 3.5L V6 engine in that vehicle...even before the dumb bastard at the repair shop forgot to put oil back in the engine after a change. My experience with a number of Chrysler vehicles over the years leads me to expect their engines to use oil between changes, requiring a topping off if you're going for extended mileage changes. (5,000 miles and beyond)

FWIW, I know of Toyota and Honda products that do about the same. They were older engine designs that seemed to "use" (lose, burn, not sure which) a certain amount of oil even when operating normally.
    3/15/2016

My Dodge 4.7 with 143k miles doesn't use oil.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    Using oil between changes is common outside Chrysler products too. My sister's BMW X5 (v8) used quite a bit.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post
    Using oil between changes is common outside Chrysler products too. My sister's BMW X5 (v8) used quite a bit.
    The previous generation BMW M5 (V-10 motor) drank oil at a rate comparable to the drinking habits of a college fraternity, from what I understand.

My Dodge 4.7 with 143k miles doesn't use oil.
    My father has a 1997 Dakota pickup with the same motor and to the best of my knowledge it doesn't use much (if any) oil either. I know some of their 4 cylinder motors didn't use much oil either. Some motors seem to be set up to use oil, some don't. Without being an engineer I can't comment intelligently on why.
    3/15/2016

My 2007 Chevy Silverado burns oil and apparently the amount it burns is within the limits of acceptability for GM. That is the first vehicle I've owned that burned oil (out of 9 vehicles).

Jeep Dealership Folks?

I understand Subarus to eat oil, but that's from a friend who works at a dealer and like asking a politician about guns.

My 1.8T, I5 2.5, 3.2 VR6, and 2.0T do not eat any oil. The 2.5 is the wife's, the rest were tuned and driven by someone who treats the gas pedal like an on/off switch. I also use a 10k drain interval.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

User Tag List