Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AAR: Patriot Survival School Bug-out Basics Level 1, 31-Jan to 2-Feb, 2014

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rudy99 View Post
    I had actually planned on getting involved in some local orienteering as a means to get some land navigation experience.... This looks like an interesting experience as well, although spending two nights with an unknown crowd doesn't sound too appealing...

In regards to the red light issue, I wonder if a red filter on a surefire would have been a good option.
    For me personally, the night time land navigation stuff was just awesome. I think the staff is considering spending a whole class on learning to read topographical maps, but that was just something I overheard.

There are motels in Bonham, which you need to drive through to get to Telephone (if you're coming from the Metroplex). They're a pretty good ways out, though. The bunking thing wasn't a big deal for me, but then again, I slept well and everyone else probably had to put up with my snoring.

I actually have two Surefires and had no idea they made red filters for them. Derp.

Quote Originally Posted by rudy99 View Post
    Thank you for the detailed write up. I wasn't aware that this was even an option in DFW. I had actually planned on getting involved in some local orienteering as a means to get some land navigation experience. Especially when my kid gets a little older. This looks like an interesting experience as well, although spending two nights with an unknown crowd doesn't sound too appealing...

In regards to the red light issue, I wonder if a red filter on a surefire would have been a good option.
    A long time ago, I used to wander about with a map and compass in the dark. We would "borrow" a small brass pilot's flashlight that had a red filter on it. Then these came out:

http://www.opticsplanet.com/inova-mi...-base-led.html

Inova makes a spiffy little LED flashlight that works really well for inconspicuous land nav. The metal clip easily fastens into a button hole on a shirt, and the switch can be squeezed between your teeth. The switch can also be slid on for a longer light display. They even make an IR version - that's new.

I carried one on my dog tag chain when they first came out - very handy. The red lens model throws just enough illum to work with a map and compass. They also make a model with a blue LED. Very handy for spotting blood in the darkness, when you want to discreetly examine a patient, or follow a blood trail.

It's also not a bad idea to pack a second light, usually a headlamp. Petzl makes great ones, and they come with filters.

I'm a big fan of carrying a second compass as well, just to check your work. It's possible to get so exhausted you think the compass is "broken" or "lying" to you. I have pulled out a second smaller compass, and decided the first one was correct. That saved me a lot of walking several times.

Also, a wrist band compass on your watchband can be a good method to help with offsets and obstacle crossings. Some of the better ones are relatively sturdy, and will fit on a NATO watch band. A rubber SCUBA band on most dive watches is usually too big.

Like Chance said, it's really easy to lose stuff in the dark (even if you dummy cord it), and a spare can become your one and only.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

User Tag List