Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Parts, Mods, & Priorities

Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post
    This thread reminds me of the DCAEK kits that came out for the M&P. The supplied trigger springs did not live up to their hype and I broke my share of them, at low round counts.
    That sounds familiar....

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

This thread reminds me of the DCAEK kits that came out for the M&P. The supplied trigger springs did not live up to their hype and I broke my share of them, at low round counts.
    JV, as regards the CZ pistols, I see it as notably different.

The DCAEK was marketed as a duty trigger. Early failures of trigger springs were happening on carry pistols. The guys messing with different parts in their CZ pistols are doing it in their USPSA/IPSC guns, and basically having trigger jobs done to CZ stock parts in their carry guns. That seems like the same as having a basic trigger job on a 1911 carry gun, which has been SOP for decades.

The CZ guys are having genuine fun with their pistols, and experiencing great joy shooting them. I almost get the feeling like the guys driving the Honda mini vans are taking the position the BMW M series cars aren't safe racing them at the track on the weekend, and by association driving their 3 series to work!
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    My game guns are my carry guns.

Other folks may not view things similarly.
    Last edited by JV_; 02-03-2014 at 08:59 AM. Reason: grammar issue

Between early mag catches dropping magazines down, early strikers breaking, some guns strongly benefitting from Apex extractors (personal experience), sear flutter thing, and 9mm accuracy issues, I wouldn't use S&W as a frontrunner for a "big guys vs small guys" discussion. Then again, this is tangential to Todd's initial point, so I am only mentioning this as an observation.

I have a P30S coming just for this reason - I don't plan to replace a bunch of parts even though I "know" the trigger isn't perfect. But, in my handgun history, probably well over 1/2 of the rounds I have fired have been in DA revolvers, a LARGE number through Sigs, a bunch more were in a Beretta 96D Centurion, and a decent handful through my 1911. The action I have been most comfortable with is the TDA Sig, but I wanted something a bit different and I REALLY love the ergonomics on the H&K. I will also confess that the PT.com data (I have created my own spreadsheet to analyze a bunch of the known data out there on different guns) was a decent input into the decision too. It is nice to know at the beginning what parts I should keep in my range bag based on somebody driving a gun harder than I will have the opportunity to do.

While I have had to experiment some with 1911 magazines, I tend to limit my part replacements to things like grips and sights and maintenance issues such as springs and pins.

-shooter

We are diminished

Other folks may not view things similarly.
    My while point.

Same here.

Quote Originally Posted by shooter220 View Post
    I have a P30S coming just for this reason - I don't plan to replace a bunch of parts even though I "know" the trigger isn't perfect.
    Be aware that many of us found trigger return spring's lifespan be 2/3 - 4/5 of what it was originally thought to be.

They are only my carry guns when I carry them from the house to the car...
    ...and to think today you just have fangs

Rob Engh
    BC, Canada

My game gun is never my carry gun, and that is intentional. My carry gun is a low round count, vetted reliable pistol with the most conservative mod set possible. My shooter gun, even when nearly identical, is the gun I shoot high round counts on, and experiment with different stuff, that might eventually migrate to my carry gun once proven.

New magazines, sights, connectors, and so forth only get tested on the shooter gun to avoid surprises on my carry gun.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Be aware that many of us found trigger return spring's lifespan be 2/3 - 4/5 of what it was originally thought to be.
    Absolutely, and many thanks. I am going to have several of them in my bag after Todd's test. I don't know how quickly I will get to that failure point based on time and ammo habits, but I am glad to be buying a known quantity of a firearm. This is actually my first NEW gun in a long time.

-shooter

User Tag List