Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Parts, Mods, & Priorities

Ok, that makes sense and I can see the difference. It also tracks with what GJM is saying about the difference between his Mink and potential carry piece.

Follow up question, if you will: Is there any way, other than starting a thread on here , for us non-industry folk to distinguish between a smith like Bruce Gray's parts and not-such-good-idea parts, other than reputation or experimentation?

I guess it boils down to letting someone else be the beta tester! (This should in no way imply that I won't beta test a Gadget for you, because I totally will, just so you know...)
    Last edited by klewis; 02-03-2014 at 12:31 AM.

I feel differently in regards to smaller shops producing aftermarket parts superior to OEM. Unlike most production OEM's who rarely release the types of materials they use or any kind of accuracy guarantee, you can find that in the aftermarket. Want a SS 416R barrel fitted to produce an X" guarantee at 25 yards with good ammo? You can have that fitted and installed. Assembling production guns at high volumes with whatever materials and unknown QC all comes down to "Trust but Verify ” which is the same procedure I'd use with a gun from a Gunsmith or just aftermarket parts slapped in. Small shops may engineer a small part at 5 times the cost of an OEM due to materials chosen and cost to produce in small batches compared to say having the OEM making a MIM version of a once acceptable part and sending it out in millions of guns with unknown amounts of testing ahead of time.

Bah, ignore my ramblings I'm drunk...

Before I replace any gun parts they have to meet these requirements.

Is it made by someone with an "industry best" reputation for quality and durability?
    I'd have no problem putting a Gieselle trigger in my AR as an example. CS springs from ISMI or Tubb for my AR is another.

Will it improve my ability to make hits without making something dangerous (too light trigger/too little sear engagement for example)?

Will it create function problems?
    A match barrel that fails to chamber rounds occasionally is not worth it no matter how accurate it might be.

I'm comfortable with my decision to add an Apex FSS & FRE to my M&P 9 FS with frame safety. Whether I do a barrel is up in the air.

This is why my Glocks have Glock parts in them.

I have seen tons of stuff that was billed as, in the words of Mark Fricke, "Better-Smoother-Faster" that turns out to be a huge mistake for long term durability or reliability.

I'll take this a bit further; IMHO when one starts to get away from the original design in the original caliber, such as chopping 1911s below standard size, etc., then the more likely all of this is to go south.

Same-same for souping up ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    This is why my Glocks have Glock parts in them.

I have seen tons of stuff that was billed as, in the words of Mark Fricke, "Better-Smoother-Faster" that turns out to be a huge mistake for long term durability or reliability.

I'll take this a bit further; IMHO when one starts to get away from the original design in the original caliber, such as chopping 1911s below standard size, etc., then the more likely all of this is to go south.

Same-same for souping up ammo.
    I was the same way about my Glocks until my Gen 4 G19 shooting brass out in all directions like a sprinkler

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Vaguely tangential, but what are your thoughts on the LWD - connector for Glock pistols? I know you used yours to the point of failure. Curious about your opinion now.
    I think I'd be more likely to go with a Glock part at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Shenaniguns View Post
    I was the same way about my Glocks until my Gen 4 G19 shooting brass out in all directions like a sprinkler
    My G19 did that too, fixed it with Glock parts. ALthough I would go to trying an Apex extractor with a quickness if I had to.

Well regarding parts I put in my CZ, with the exception of the extractor springs I used to use, which were Wolfe (and I trust that they do know what they are doing) and a CZ Custom front sight (not a part I'm too concerned about as it's a hard part to screw up), all my parts are factory parts, so again, I trust them. I don't run any non CZ parts in my guns now. But part of that is also because of the rules in IPSC, with the exception of of sights, all parts must be OEM. I would happily run Cajun Gun Works bits in my match guns if I was allowed to, as they've been fairly well proven by other competitors.
    Now while IPSC/USPSA certainly shouldn't be used as a sounding board for gun parts due to the large number of manufacturers who makes bits and pieces, I see nothing wrong with looking at the odd major manufacturer who is common across the game, and seeing how their stuff lasts. If a lot of people are using X's parts with no reporting of failures, or low reports of such, it would seem reasonable to me to trust those same parts in a gun I might use to defend myself. IPSC shooters certainly put more rounds down range in a wide variety of circumstances than all but the most dedicated of shooters would otherwise, so there should be some data that's valuable to someone.
    Again regarding the CZ failures that Todd saw when he was up here, I can only say it was a perfect storm situation of circumstances, me not paying attention to my broken sear, Mass using crap mags that he also didn't pay attention too and so on (I will admit I don't even remember everything anymore). I've not seen such a gathering of failure ever before or since.

I'm not surprised at the amount of talk here regarding swapping of parts though. This is also a place where high volume shooters congregate and like any sport or hobby with serious aficionados customization is going to play a huge part in what people are doing. From sights to holsters to tape or stippling gun owners are seemingly always looking to either add things to the design or improve it for their own satisfaction.
    ...and to think today you just have fangs

Rob Engh
    BC, Canada

Site Supporter
    This thread reminds me of the DCAEK kits that came out for the M&P. The supplied trigger springs did not live up to their hype and I broke my share of them, at low round counts.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post
    This thread reminds me of the DCAEK kits that came out for the M&P. The supplied trigger springs did not live up to their hype and I broke my share of them, at low round counts.
    ...whereas my S&W factory Mass. compliant trigger return springs are still going strong even after quite a number of rounds and dryfire.
    3/15/2016

User Tag List