Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the best EDC complement to the Beretta 92FS?

What is the best EDC complement to the Beretta 92FS?

Long time lurker, first time poster. So I have settled on the Beretta 92FS as my USPSA/IDPA gun, having abandoned my Glock 34. Given that I would like a slightly smaller gun for EDC, what is the best analogue to the G17/G19 relationship? As a follow on question, how important is it really to have the same type of action for an EDC as a competition gun?

Possibilities I have considered are below. Any thoughts on what else I might consider?

PX Storm series, but I don't like the rotating barrel or the slide mounted safety.
    92FS compact: A possibility but I don't love the slide mounted safety for an EDC or the non-replaceable front sight.
    Sig P229: Currently my best pick: Same grip angle, same action, similar manual of arms, only simpler. Expensive.
    FNX-9: Not wild about the lack of aftermarket support, and the large grip.

Thanks in advance for the help.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    If you don't love the slide mounted safety for EDC, why shoot a beretta in IDPA/USPSA...?

If you really dislike them, I would pick up a P226 and a P229/P228 and call it a day. or just 2 P229s

Otherwise I would get a 92FS compact.

The big advantage of the 92FS vs. the P226 is that I already own it. If I were to be starting from scratch it might be a different story. I have not had a bad experience with the 92FS safety in competition.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by A.G. View Post
    The big advantage of the 92FS vs. the P226 is that I already own it. If I were to be starting from scratch it might be a different story. I have not had a bad experience with the 92FS safety in competition.
    Right, but then you may as well be consistent and stick with the 92FS manual of arms if it isn't an issue for you.

If you really dislike it, however, I would consider trading in your 92FS now, before you further invest yourself in the platform.

Same manual of arms?

S&W 3913 or 6906.

Yes, seriously. Really good carry guns. And they operate exactly the same as your Beretta.

What is the best EDC complement to the Beretta 92FS?
    Have you considered a Shaggy for your 92FS?

As you listed as an option, the 92 Compact, or a PX4. 92 Compact uses 92 mags as a reload, where the PX4 mags are different. PX4 gives you Trijicon HD sights as an option. The Sig is a great pistol, well supported with accessories, but in my hands, a step back in shootability compared to the Beretta.

Harder to source, but a 92G Centurion, is my favorite size and configuration of all the 92 variants for the compromise of shooting/carrying. CT grips are available, unlike for the 92 Compact and PX4.

A 92G Centurion with dovetailed sights, able to take the HD sights from the 92A1, and the lower frame treatment of the Elite or M9A1, would be my dream Beretta.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    Same manual of arms?

S&W 3913 or 6906.

Yes, seriously. Really good carry guns. And they operate exactly the same as your Beretta.
    Thanks! I will check them out.

Quote Originally Posted by Wendell View Post
    Have you considered a Shaggy for your 92FS?
    I had a Shaggy for a HK P30L and it printed badlyl. I have carried the 92FS comfortably in an MTAC holster and an OWB but when I try AIWB the beavertail causes me a lot of discomfort.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    As you listed as an option, the 92 Compact, or a PX4. 92 Compact uses 92 mags as a reload, where the PX4 mags are different. PX4 gives you Trijicon HD sights as an option. The Sig is a great pistol, well supported with accessories, but in my hands, a step back in shootability compared to the Beretta.

Harder to source, but a 92G Centurion, is my favorite size and configuration of all the 92 variants for the compromise of shooting/carrying. CT grips are available, unlike for the 92 Compact and PX4.
    Ahh, that is an option I had not considered. Thanks! I also like the Beretta more than some Sig I have shot but I do not have enough trigger time behind them to really know for sure.

User Tag List